cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Jorisdijk
Adept I

CPU overheating and shutting down pc on only specific games

Hi, a few days ago i built my first pc. It has a Ryzen 7 5800x, Radeon RX 6800 XT, 1 tb SSD, msi mag x570s tomahawk wifi motherboard.

I have found that only on the startup on some specific games the cpu usage spikes to 100 percent wich causes the temperature to spike to above 100 degrees celcius. This causes the pc to fully shutdown. This all happens whithin like 10 to 15 seconds on the startup of those games. It is weird because the two games i have found this happening on are minecraft and overwatch 2. While way heavier games like forza horizon 5 or god of war have no problems whatsoever. On those games the cpu and gpu are on average around 50 - 60 degrees celsius and barely go above that.

I have updated (from what i know) all my drivers and windows is also fully up to date.

does anybody know what the cause of this could be?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Jorisdijk
Adept I

i have found the issue, apparently i had switched a cpu option from "default" to a set value in the bios by accident when configuring the bios. switching it back to default has gotten rid of all the problems. i dont exactly know what that option does but it works now

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Found this with google. Message is from ten years ago: "Press escape, go to options, make sure limit framerate is ON. " You could also set some limit to it from Radeon Software. Maybe cap fps to what ever your monitors refreshrate is.

But CPU's shouldn't still overheat nor crash PC's, but downclock, so: Try running CPU at stock settings if you already don't. Is PBO enabled? I would not use it. In pretty much every review I've seen, PBO makes 1% and 0.1% lows worse than without. Could it be that it's not the CPU that crashes, but memory?

How are your temps if you enable HWINFO64, run as adminstrator, sensors only, leavy it running, play some game for some time and check from HWINFO, what was the highest recorded temp. I wonder if cooler is installed correctly and if there is enough thermal paste (unless it is a voltage/OC thing).

0 Likes

I dont think it is because of the framerate. It crashes in the menu screen of the game starting up tho it is worth a try. I also run the cpu at stock and havent enabled pbo. From what i have seen it also isnt because of memory. and with other games i have seen it rarely go above 60 degrees although i may have missed something so im definetely going to use HWINFO and see again if there is something out of the ordinary.

Also when building it after mounting the cooler i checked again on the thermal paste and there was "a perfect amount" although that can be subjective. and according to a professional the cooler also was mounted correctly but it couldnt hurt to also check that again.

0 Likes
Jorisdijk
Adept I

i have found the issue, apparently i had switched a cpu option from "default" to a set value in the bios by accident when configuring the bios. switching it back to default has gotten rid of all the problems. i dont exactly know what that option does but it works now

0 Likes