cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hitbm47
Forerunner

CPU L3 Cache possibly giving a massive boost in minimum FPS scenarios - something doesn't add up

Dear readers,

WARNING: THE GAME SCREENSHOT I WILL DISPLAY IN THIS POST CONTAINS VIOLENCE

- 2667Mhz DDR4 RAM x16GB,

- Ryzen 5 5600 , previous CPU -> Ryzen 5 1600

First of all, I am really thankful to be owning a Ryzen 5 5600, I am super thankful for the major boost in gave me in minimum FPS scenarios and thus far this is the happiest I have been with the performance a CPU has given me.

But, I would like to hear other users experience with what I am about do describe, since something does not add up with slightly older CPUs.

For me, the major boost in CPU/System limited areas I have test over the years seem to come from the boost in L3 Cache, even though the single threaded gains of this 5600 is massive over the 1600, I am getting higher minimum FPS gains over this IPC difference, which brings me to the L3 Cache size and possibly CPU interconnection speed.

The L3 Cache of the Ryzen 5600 is double than that of the Ryzen 5 1600, but even has less L1 or L2 cache and has about a 50% increase in single threaded performance over the 1600. Furthermore, in the following game (Zero Hour) the 1600 used to score about 44FPS in the following area without any thread maxing out, whereas my Ryzen 5 5600 scores 72-75FPS in this area where according to my IPC calculations it should score 66FPS (when assuming it is single thread limited). In addition, my FX 8350 scores 29-32FPS in this area also without any thread maxing out even when I did FSB overclocking a few months ago to increase L3 Cache speed. Here is the screenshot:

Ryzen_5_5600_impressive_performance.jpg

This leads me to believe that a lot of games are very "Cache size dependant" instead of being "Cache speed dependant", my best guess is that some game engines aim to stay within occupying only a certain percentage of the available L3 Cache for variables to prevent a swap between RAM and L3 Cache, which defeats the purpose of having 16GB of RAM. Let my know what you guys think after looking at the major gains in this screenshot; 73FPS (Ryzen 5 5600) over 44FPS (Ryzen 5 1600) with the exact same MOBO/RAM Combo and no threads maxing out on either.

According to me, this shouldn't be the case with the Ryzen 5 1600 or FX 8350, even though I am super greatful for the performance of my Ryzen 5 5600, but clearly there is a problem with resource management in a lot of games either by the OS Scheduler or Driver/Game coding.

Again, please share your experiences on this.

Kind regards

0 Likes
0 Replies