cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

peterq94
Adept III

CPU install on the motheboard - ESD precautions (questions to AMD)

Dear AMD Employers and Community,

I have questions about ESD precautions. Don't upload any images and share any links in this topic. We only comment.

I know that ideal practice is have to same potential like devices so I should have ESD mat and esd wrist strap connected to the ground but i have some questions because anyone can't answer me:

- If I will install CPU on motheboard and I will do this on properly grounded ESD mat. Next I want to put motherboard to the case so the question is I should put the case on ESD mat or case should be on the table near ESD mat?

- I don't want advices about connecting wrist strap to the case or PSU because they are painted so they don't ground me and devices.

- If I don't have ESD mat I should put motherboard on the clean table or better practice is put motherboard on the top of ESD bag which motherboard come from? I finded video from AMD and Mr. Robert putted motherboard on the top of ESD bag: How to Install AMD Ryzen™ Processors - YouTube 

I heard that ESD bag is not good for motherboard and better is place on the table or box if we don't have ESD mat: https://youtu.be/jQRIzgEVsjI?t=35

Linus said that outside of the ESD bag is conductive and this is not good for devices but people from AMD on their video putted motherboard on the bag. Who is wrong?

If someone from AMD (like Mr. Robert) will answer me I will be happy.

Thanks for your time!

8 Replies

What you heard about the ESD bag is true. Don't set the board on them! Yes if you don't have a mat then the next best thing is to set it on top the motherboard box. Just make sure it doesn't have foil stamping or plastic on it.  Another good thing is to have a rubber mat on the floor to stand on. Always touch something on your workbench that is metal before handling the board especially if you don't have a mat and are not wearing a wrist strap. Having your case next to your mat or with no mat at all would be fine as long as the surface of the bench is non-conductive. Wood top or a sheet of poster board or cardboard is good to use if you don't have an anti-static mat.  The best thing to do there is to have a hand on the metal of the case chassis. Even back in the days before I used a mat and strap, holding onto the case was enough to discharge and not pass static to the board or components. Way back when stuff like that for home was not as easy to come by or cheap like it is today.

Also a nice thing to have around of anti-stat spray in a can. You can spray you are quickly and the stuff gets rid of static fast and leave zero residue. 

Sorry I am not an AMD employee, only a few here are.

I have been building systems though for over 40 years and have never fried a component with static electricity.

I guess luckily I am an electrical engineer and was taught properly from the beginning. 

I will mention an AMD Mod and maybe you will get lucky and they will comment to your liking. amdmatt

It will be moderated so it may be a while before those links post.

Thank you very much that you mentioned AMD Mod! I hope that people from AMD will read my posts and will answer for my questions.

My friend 11 years ago builded PC for me and I remember that he putted motherboard on the top of ESD bag (he doesn't have ESD mat or wrist strap). I was so suprise when I heard that this practice is not good. You now tell me that motherboard box I must also veryfing that it doesn't have foil stamping or plastic on it so it is more complicated than I thinked. I know that ESD mat is the best. I have money so I can buy it but I should connect this mat to the ground and in my house only way is walloutlet. I am not electrical engineer and I don't know if it safe for me. I will be happy if someone from AMD comment this post. What is the best practice when we don't have ESD accessories? I know that I can touch something grounded and now use this practice. Two weeks ago I changed termal paste on CPU from my old netbook with AMD processor and before I begin I touched grounded pin in my walloutlet. It is safe option for me.

I can't touch my PC case when I will be build PC because this is painted case so this is not conductive.

I readed my book about computer reparing and in this book author said that if we don't have mat we can put motherboard on the top of ESD bag so this is another information which is opposite to information what I found on the internet. This author also mention that we can't put PC case on the ESD mat becauese this is ESD safe place and on this place should be only sensitive devices! He said that we should put our PC case next to (near) ESD mat so it is why I asked about it. This is book from 1999 year. I don't remember author name but I can find this today and I will write next post with information about it.

0 Likes

ESD bags are intended for shipping. I use an open frame chassis when testing hardware. This makes it faster to benchmark a raft of video cards etc.

fyrel
Miniboss

The bag the motherboard comes in are not ESD they are static shielding.

They use the same principle as Faraday cages to conduct electricity over the surface of the bag thus protecting the motherboard inside. This makes them a poor choice for placing the motherboard on.

I personally use the motherboard box to test the motherboard and then install into a grounded case.

0 Likes

This Wikihow gives some good methods to ground yourself from ESD on your PC or motherboard: How to Ground Yourself to Avoid Destroying a Computer with Electrostatic Discharge 

Cool! Pictures always helpful. LOL

0 Likes
peterq94
Adept III

I believed that people from AMD will answer for my questions but this was not happen. On the Intel side community helps me - people from Intel answered me. Not for all questions but they answered. AMD community is DEAD?

0 Likes

Sorry about them not answering. I don't get it either. On Nvidia and Intel forum the company employees are very much involved.

AMD is not and only has one official way to connect with them and that according to, too many users is spotty too. 

Contact AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form