cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

213yum
Journeyman III

cpu / heatsink issue!!!

i have an MSI b450 tomahawk mobo and a ryzen 2600x cpu with manufacturer heatsink

the pc had issues booting and showed the CPU error light on the mobo. i took the heatsink off and re-seated the CPU. i boot up (without the heatsink on) and the mobo seems to run (only error light showing is the VGA as i didnt have a GPU in)

i turn off the comp and install the heatsink, same issue, blinking CPU light. i have a feeling that during the installation of the heatsink, the cpu is moving out of place. so i tried again with the heatsink off, but with the heatsink fan power plugged in, computer boots, cpu fan runs

every time i screw in the heatsink, same issue occurs, either the CPU error light is on, or red LED flashes real quick and won't boot at all.

again, assuming the screwing in of the heatsink is the issue, i CAREFULLY align the screws so they are directly on top and ready to be screwed, prior to screwing them in, i turn the mobo on to ensure it runs before screwing in the heatsink. then i screw each side in MINIMALLY to stay aligned and balanced while pushing the heatsink down so one side doesnt go up during the screwing. after minimally screwing them in, it will turn on successfully. now when i screw in further and further on each corner, i continue testing to see if it boots during screwing it in then somewhere along the lines the same thing happens

please i need some help. i've been working on this for hours to no avail

maybe it's something else and i'm just trippin??

TL DR summary

when i boot up the mobo W/O a CPU, the CPU error light is on(as it should). when i put in the CPU by itself (W/O heatsink), only the VGA error light is on (dont have the GPU in). when i screw in the heatsink, it will either not boot up at all with a quick flash on the error lights, or it will turn on but the CPU error starts blinking

with CPU in, heatsink not screwed in but fan power plugged in, the mobo runs

0 Likes
3 Replies
dacq
Adept III

Put a GPU in before turning it on.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

213yum, please NEVER power up a system with no heat sink!  Chances are you will fry the processor very quickly.  I suspect it has nothing to do with the HS but with the processor.  Please remove the processor and inspect the pins.  You may have a bent or broken pin or socket.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

With the CPU Cooler off the Ryzen shuts down almost immediately to prevent damage from overheating. But when you install the CPU Cooler, the Ryzen is now working allowing the motherboard to show what is wrong through the Trouble LED lights. 

Do you have the CPU Power connection connect on your motherboard like from the manual:

With CPU_PWR1 not connected it probably won't boot up.

From your Manual concerning the Motherboard's Socket:

Make sure you have the CPU Cooler fan connected in the correct CPU FAN port on the motherboard:

The above is just to cover the basics in making sure the CPU and Motherboard are installed correctly.

If you have done all of this, then you possibly have a defective CPU or Motherboard. To rule out a defective CPU & Motherboard, see if you can install the CPU on another compatible motherboard. If it works then that indicates you have a defective motherboard but if it has the exact problem on the second compatible motherboard that will indicate a defective CPU.

If you believe the CPU is defective try opening a Warranty RMA with the retailer you bought it from first. IF the Retailer's Warranty is expired than open a AMD Warranty Request to see if they recommend RMAing your Processor. If you purchased the CPU separately and you are the original owner they you will have a 3 Year Warranty from AMD.

You can open a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

0 Likes