cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

steveis2
Adept II

CPU cooler for an FX 6300 running at stock settings?

Hi,

Because I had some parts available and recently got hold of an FX 6300 CPU with a motherboard I decided to build yet one more PC. I've got an AKASA 'box' type cooler that has a max TDP of 95W. This is ok for desktop programs and games such as half Life 2, however if I load something like Wolfenstein Old Blood from 2015 or there abouts the CPU gets quite hot.

What would be a better CPU cooler to run the FX 6300 at stock speeds? Hopefully it's one that's quite cheap as the system has cost me virtually nothing so far.

Regards Steve

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Do you want to go cheap or spend a little?

If you have a window, the Wraith Prism with RGB is quite good, if it gets the 2700X under control, so it should for the FX6300, the Wraith is compatible with AM3+ boards, at least it fits my AM3 phenom and you will find it very cheap on the used market, sometimes even not used at all!!

If bling bling is not your style any AM3+ compatible tower cooler with a 120mm should do the trick, and for no more than 10 to 20.

If you want to spend a little, Noctua Redux brings Noctua performance at a lower price, if seen some Redux models as low as 30 to 40€.

The Englishman
0 Likes

If you have a window, the Wraith Prism with RGB is quite good, if it gets the 2700X under control, so it should for the FX6300, the Wraith is compatible with AM3+ boards, at least it fits my AM3 phenom and you will find it very cheap on the used market, sometimes even not used at all!!

0 Likes