Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

horserank
Newcomer

CPU cleaning fluid in the pins.

Hi there,
I made the noob mistake of holding the CPU in my hand while cleaning, the Arcticlean thermal material remover went down my thumb/fingers onto the other side.
The pin side is now discoloured. I'm guessing the fluid has not evaporated and is still there.
After having a read on the product's website I felt like I needed to apply the 2nd bottle to remove the bad stuff, only now I have more liquid on the backside.

In this other thread, it's mentioned about the cationic surfactants.
thermal paste went into the ryzen 1700 pins
"I would be really leery of using a product that uses "cationic surfactants" to rinse the area.  The reason being, cationic implies charge (positive charge) and also implies and aqueous solution.  It is highly likely that the cations will be left behind when the solution evaporates and may interact with the metal.  In an area design to conduct charge (The pins of a CPU) that could be a problem.  A high purity organic solution that will evaporate clean is preferable."

Arctic Silver Incorporated - ArctiClean

I feel like it's game over for this CPU, and so do you have any info on whether it will be safe to use again.

Is there another solution I could apply to remove the surfactants? and then use a hair dryer?

hopefully can be sorted, although I do have installation insurance and is within the timeline so can get the CPU replaced.

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Put it in and hit it with Prime95, if it works then you're fine, it's not going to short if it's not wet, though if you have "insurance" that covers negligence, no reason not to use it.

0 Likes
neon
Miniboss

If the cleaning solution does not evaporate, then you should do as suggested in the other thread: use a pure organic solution to attempt to rinse it away. I don't know which would be best, but usually isopropanol and acetone are available at low cost. You can also use a fine bristled brush like an old toothbrush to help you clean around the pins if there is solid themal interface material still there (though it does not look like it in the photo). Allow to dry thoroughly before applying power.

0 Likes
horserank
Newcomer

Yeah I've just sorted an RMA, safest option, although yeah I feel like rinsing in the high purity organic solution would be a way to sort it.
I just felt with the time limit I had and no 2nd board to test on, should just send it back.
But no doubt they'll probably try to rinse and then test it.

After a day the CPU still stank of the citronella type stuff that's in the Articlean thermal remover and still has a 'damp' mark where it touched this side.
I mean it's pretty weird that it's kinda stained the pin side.
Anyway be interesting to see what they try if they're gonna attempt to fix it.
I just feel like there's no way of knowing if you 100% have all the stuff off, and it could be a little over-charge from that cationic stuff that would dmg board and cpu over long time maybe, anyway cheers.

0 Likes