Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

psykotronik
Adept II

Compatible?? MSI X370 Gaming Plus Mobo + AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU

Hi all,

I bought a PC at the end of 2018 that has cost me an arm and a leg. A while after I got it I noticed it would have random small little freezes during use of any kind. Lately it just feels to me like it is happening more. But when I am busy with art or gaming even, it is incredibly frustrating. Hell, I could be busy in Word or Excel and it may freeze. Very annoying!!

I would like to know if there is compatibility issue between MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard and AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU?? 

I ask this, because one of our later designer PCs at work experienced a similar problem, but MUCH worse, and they found that there was incompatibility issues with some hardware it comprised of. Knowing that, I started looking into my PC's hardware and trying to find out if there are components that may be incompatible. The vendor I bought from says that everything should be fine and that these are all compatible. I took up with them the fact that I ordered a B350 MSI motherboard, but got a X370 Gaming Plus... And it was never discussed with me. I only noticed it just a week ago. They say that the X370 is better than the one I ordered... Don't know. I do NOT overclock anything, and I don't plan to do that. This PC can run 98% of all latest games no problem, so no need for that.

If I look on PCPartPicker then absolutely everything seems to be compatible, except when I choose my Motherboard and my CPU. It then tells me that those two may be incompatible:

Incompatible.png

Another worry I have is that my RAM doesn't seem to be showing up in ANY of these lists by MSI here. where I highlighted in yellow on the image, if I look for my exact RAM model: HX426C16FB3/16

If anyone here really knows how to use these Compatibility lists, please don't hesitate to advise me on this.

RAM Lists.png

Some things I have done already:

• I have done TONS of research on the internet trying to find out more. Most articles and videos are about the Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, and not the Ryzen 7 2700. But also, I don't find issues like this anywhere. I feel hopeless.
  • Today I have even gone as far as checking RAM and doing a PSU calculation on the internet to see if maybe my 700W PSU is not enough, but all seems good.
  • Windows 10 build 1903 apparently also solved something to do with Task Scheduler and AMD Ryzen CPUs, but I am running that already, so not an issue.
  • A week ago I updated (flashed) my BIOS to the very latest available BIOS, but the issue remains. This is also something the vendor said I should do, when in fact I already mentioned that I have done it.
  • I have installed Ryzen Master to try and make sense of it, so I can monitor and see what's happening. But the truth is I don't even know what the hell I am looking at. LOL
  • I read about MSI Afterburner, and installed that to check it out. But have not adjusted anything. I have only switched on OSD so I can see usage information in the corner of my screen during gameplay. This has not helped me much, because the moment the PC freezes like that for a few seconds, the info doesn't update since everything is frozen. So when it goes back to normal, there is no way for me to tell what happened, or which values behaved strangely.
  • I have gone onto MSI and AMD websites (MSI is more up to date) to get all the latest drivers for my motherboard and CPU. This is also where I got the BIOS. Everything has been updated.
  • I have updated my GPU drivers - I always like to keep this updated.
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 is also always kept up to date.
  • I have run MemTest over night and in the morning, at around 1300% coverage it has returned 0 errors.
  • Disabled C-State in BIOS under Overclocking > CPU Features. This is something I have read about a lot.

I will try to show here what I am running so that anyone that could offer help to me, can see what is in my system:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
BIOS: 5.JQ (type: UEFI)
Processor/CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Plus AM4 Socket
Memory: 16384MB RAM (One chip of HyperX HX426C16FB3/16 16GB DDR4 2666)

Graphics/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Power/PSU: Antec VP700P 700W 80+

HDD Primary: KINGSTON A400 480GB SSD

HDD Secondary 1: TOSHIBA P300 1TB SATA 3.5" (7200RPM, 64MB Buffer)

HDD Secondary 2: Seagate BarraCuda 6TB SATA 3.5" (256MB Buffer)

Keyboard: Standard (USB)

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus  M601-3 Wired

Please, if anyone has any answers for me here?

I was hoping to contact AMD and MSI directly, but could only find this support community. I will look into MSI's support in a bit as well to try and explain my issue to them.

0 Likes
26 Replies