Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

techontop
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

compare to intel processors

When I'm shopping for desktops or portables I'm familiar with intel processors enough to know if an i5, 2 core, at 3.2GHz, or whatever, is going to be enough. I would like to expand to considering amd based systems too but don't know if, for instance, a system based on A8-7410 APU is faster or slower. Or which AMDs are roughly the same as which intels. How can I know?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: compare to intel processors

Here is a site to help you get started on your researching.

www.cpu-world.com.

http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/CompareParts.pl?PART1=AMD_AM7410JBY44JB&PART2=Intel_FH8065802491703...

0 Kudos
techontop
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

That compares two specific processors. I'm looking for a general reference. I think AMD loses a huge marketing opportunity by not giving an easy way to compare, and maybe often discover that PCs with AMD are either faster or cheaper than Intel.

I'm usually buying general business stuff. I guess I'll just look at cores and clock speed and assume that's as good as I can do at comparing (limiting to processors released in the last 2-3 years so fairly current technology).

But I doubt that's fair. Toms Hardware used to rank many processors (they've stopped that and just put them in very broad categories). For instance, in the 2015 rankings, using a business speed test of opening a PDF and saving as Doc (using similar mboards, memory, disk), the AMD Athlon II X3 435, 3 cores, 2.9 GHz does it about twice as fast as an Intel i5-2400s, 4 cores, Turbo 3.3 GHz. So just comparing cores and clock speed is not an accurate comparison, but if AMD isn't going to provide and easy way to make such comparisons, what other choice do I have?

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is a good general comparison between AMD Ryzen and the previous generation Piledriver, and Intel's last 3 generations, as far as performance per clock goes. Intel is faster, but Ryzen narrowed the gap significantly, not to mention it forced Intel to stop doing dual cores.

Intel SkylakeIntel Kaby LakeIntel Coffee LakeAMD Piledriver
AMD Piledriver70.00%75.00%100.00%X
AMD Ryzen (Zen1)Parity10.00%25.00%50.00%
0 Kudos
techontop
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

This looks like it might be helpful info but it's a little unclear what it's showing me, or where it came from. Can you give a source so I can see it in context? Thanks.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

It's a generalized summary I made, you can do your own research at cpu.userbenchmark.com to compare different models but that's about how it falls.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

The CPU needed is more governed by the applications being used. Gaming needs a more power processor while a word processor can use a modest one.

A quad core processor can manage with a single extreme video card fine, games need more cash for video cards which can cost $1200 for the top cards

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
rwd4ever
Adept III
Adept III

Who made up this table? A Coffee Lake is really just a new stepping of Skylake.  The only boost is that youse gets more cores than prior "generation"

0 Kudos
neon
Miniboss
Miniboss

It seems like Coffee Lake has the same IPC as Kaby Lake, just 2 more cores.

0 Kudos