cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

someguy76
Adept I

Coil Whine/Noise on 3600 when CPU idle

I'm hearing a very annoying noise that I've discovered is coil whine for my new AMD 3600 chip. When the CPU is idle and the voltage is around 0.975 to 1.0V, it makes the noise. Whenever I do anything that causes the voltage to go up, it goes away. Even moving my mouse makes it go away because the voltage goes up when I do things.  I'm using CPUID HWMonitor to monitor CPU VDD and VID #0-#5.

This is insanely annoying. It is driving me crazy.  Is there a way to set the minimum voltage but keep the max on auto?  Or, is there some program I can run in the background that takes up virtually no CPU cycle but enough to keep my CPU "busy" so it doesn't make this stupid noise?

I think this video explains it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtM5Hgw5CqQ

OMG, this is so stupid, I am literally running this sleep loop just to keep the CPU at 1.3V and 20W:

perl -MTime::HiRes=sleep -e "sleep 0.0009 while 1"

Someone help me with this.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse 3.6GHz 6-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

M/B: ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0

Hardrive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P500B)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

GPU: EVGA GeForce 08G-P4-5173-KR, GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)

Case: Coolmaster Masterbox Q500L MCB-Q500L-KANN-S00
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-q500l/>

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - power supply (OLD)
https://www.cnet.com/products/pc-power-cooling-silencer-750-quad-power-supply-750-watt-s75cf/>

0 Likes
3 Replies

The CPU doesn't have any electronic components to make noises unless the noise is coming from the speakers.

Most likely it is your Motherboard's VRM that is next to the CPU Socket making the noise.

Also could be the GPU or PSU which can produce Coil Whine.

Another User recently also complained about the CPU making noises. I mentioned for him to look at the VRM, GPU, & PSU to isolate the noise.

Turned out to be the Motherboard's VRM components next to the CPU Socket was making the coil whine.

Coil whine occurs in High voltage electronics like capacitors and coils in the GPU, PSU, & VRM.

If it is really bad and you can definitely isolate the noise to the VRM section of the Motherboard you might try to RMA the motherboard. But most manufacturers now don't consider coil whine as a good reason to RMA a hardware. But if you mention the noise is very loud they might have you RMA the motherboard.

It is definitely not the GPU, because whether that is idling or 100% in use it doesn't seem to make a difference when I do stress tests on it.

Do you know how I can isolate it to the VRM? Is there any way to set the minimum amount of voltage sent to the CPU to 1.1V which will fix the problem?

0 Likes

I think I figured this out. I disabled C states on my MB so that the CPU won't go into power saving idle mode, this causes my idle voltage to be about 1.02, instead of fluctuating around 0.98-1.0V.

Unfortunately, this causes my idle wattage use to be 24 instead of 15-20, and my idle temp is around 53-55 instead of 49-50.  Not really pleased with this but there is nothing more I can I think.  I can also hear it BARELY still, but not nearly as bad as it was.