cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hac
Journeyman III

Chipset installer not working

I recently upgrade my pc, changing from intel CPU to the Ryzen 5 3600 with a new tomahawk B450 mobo. I was told to setup the power setting to "AMD Ryzen balance" and to do that, I need to install a chipset driver so I went on this link https://www.amd.com/en/support. I downloaded and install the ryzen master but after the message saying "Install successful" nothing is installed. I tried downloading the chipset but when run the file AMD_Chipset_Software.exe, there is a message "This installer is intended to be deployed onlyon an AMD system" and basically terminate the installation. I check with my device manager and see the new CPU, Ryzen, was listed as active processor. Does anyone have an idea on what I should do? Thank you in advance.

19 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Chipset installer not working

This User with a current AMD Thread as the same exact problem as you do: Cannot install chipset driver 2.04.04.111 on X399 chipset 

Seems to be a serious bug in the latest AMD CHIPSET.

I suggest you also reply at the above link.

Also I highly suggest meantime that you open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) to let them know of this specific bug in the latest CHIPSET from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form  

For the time being, Install the last previous CHIPSET that will install successfully until a fix is provided in the next CHIPSET driver set.

amdmatt

mongoled
Adept II

Same issue here

"This Installer is intended to be deployed only on an AMD system.Exiting installation as the requirement is not satisfied."

Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.836)
MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium (BIOS 7A31v1MR)
Ryzen 5 3600X

I uninstalled previous drivers (v1.11.22.0454). Issued a "shutdown -s -t 0" using the run command.

Restarted PC and attempted to install the new drivers .......

Ive sent the report to AMD .........

type1tech
Journeyman III

Can confirm - MS tool from the other post corrected problem for me on Threadripper 2950X & X399 when trying to install June update from AMD. Thx for reference @elstaci.

Details for anyone interested:

When installing AMD chipset software it complains that the system is not AMD. Turns out that error was misleading. For me it was a bad MSI path.

I had recently scrubbed tmp folders during PC cleanup in prep for Win 10 2004 update and thus removed old AMD installation media. New install would hang when it tried to uninstall individual components of old package because main MSI from old package was gone.

Main installer package calls several other packages during installation. All of these other MSI packages get a registry entry containing a removal string with the current package's GUID that reference the main package's GUID as the source.

Individual MSI packages were still available since Microsoft secretly stores all MSI locally in C:\Windows\Installer. I could issue MSI removal commands to individual MSI packages (such as GPIO) but ran into same removal issue due to missing source.

Ran MS tool on any failing MSI packages found above. For me it was Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and Chipset Drivers. Once corrected by the MS tool I rebooted & ran the main installer again. All packages installed & power plan is active.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

with a clean install of windows, there is a basic chipset update pulled from the update servers that works fine

no real need for more 

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

hello,

AMD chipset installer 2.04.04.111 have a little issue if the previous 1.91 is already installed, just uninstall it before.

I don't tested the last from early June, 2.04.28.626.

I suggest to install version 2.05 supposed to have corrected this install issue (AMD official but I don't know why it's not present on AMD website but only on Asrock website), I made a little post here showing my test experience.

AMD Chipset Drivers Ver. 2.05.04.352 from May 21, 2020 

mccharle
Elite

hello,

take care with default windows chipset driver, many users reported few issues with heat and core speed lock. Power plan seems to be outdated and not so reactive than 2.04 and after. Perhaps windows send now more recent version, last time I tested, windows default chipset driver date from end of 2019.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

i use the power saver plan, it seems to be stable on my box

0 Likes
mongoled
Adept II

I resolved this issue by using a 3rd party uninstaller to remove the AMD drivers after having recovered my system using "System Restore".

So this seem like an issue where the AMD uninstaller is not removing all the relevant files and registry entries.

The response from AMD was subpar IMHO, as the information that was given them (log error file) was enough for them to determine that there response to me should not have been

I suggest you check the issue status by extracting the driver folder first instead of clicking on the .exe file and turn off antivirus and firewall protection, then right click and ran as an administrator and please let me know the status.

pokester
MVP

Please report those finding to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes