cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alan09344
Journeyman III

changed motherboard and now system keeps rebooting

I have a computer I built a number of years. The motherboard recently died so instead of building a new computer, I just got an ASUS m5a99FX pro 2.0.  

I have an issue with installing. The system sits in bios no problem, when I start installing Windows it cuts out and reboots into a loop.  I noticed that if I disable cores 7and 8 in bios it allows me to install windows and run the computer.  

any ideas what could cause this ?  I would appreciate any advice  

0 Likes
3 Replies

Which Windows version were you trying to install?

Also if you finally did get Windows installed and you enabled those two cores I assuming everything is working normally correct?

If so I wouldn't worry about it unless you need to do a clean Windows installation again.

Possibly when all cores were enabled your processor which has a very high TDP ratings 220 watts, which is almost as high as a ThreadRipper processor. Plus the Maximum Operating Temperature of your FX 9590 is quite low at 57c.  You need a very powerful AIO Cpu Cooler to keep that processor from overheating.

Seems like with all cores enabled it was overheating and shutting down. But if you have your BIOS set to automatically reboot after a shutdown then it will go into a Boot loop.

With 2 cores disabled it runs much cooler thus it didn't overheat and shut down.

Just guessing though.

0 Likes

thanks for the quick reply.  It’s Windows 10 pro. I installed windows. Updated it all etc. Ran fine. I enabled the two cores and it cut out as soon as the Windows logo appeared. 

im happy to run it 6 cores, I’m just worried there may be another issue. I didn’t used to have issues running 8 cores. 

would it be worth slowing the clock speeds and going back to & cores ??

0 Likes

Install a Monitoring software and see if your Processor is overheating. If the temperature is going above 57c then it is overheating.

You can check in BIOS to see what temperature your processor is running at that time. It should be almost the same as running in idle so it should have a low temperature.

With 6 cores enabled, download and run OCCT CPU,GPU,  and PSU tests. For the Global Temperature in OCCT set it at 58c. That way as soon as the processor reaches 58c the test will shut down automatically.

While testing with 6 cores keep a close eye on your Temperatures and PSU outputs. The PSU Outputs must be within 5% tolerance of 12/5/3.3 vdc.

If  your processor starts going over 57c while under stress than you need to look at your CPU Cooler.  It may not have been installed correctly or tightly after replacing the motherboard.

Otherwise it could just be a defective processor.

NOTE: TDP Ratings is the amount of heat the processor generates for the CPU Cooler to remove. So you will need a CPU Cooler rated at least 250 TDP wattage to keep your processor cool under heavy loads.

I  had a FX 8350 with a TDP rating of 125 watts. I needed to install a Air CPU Cooler rated at 150 TDP watts with 2 High CFM fans  to keep the processor from overheating under heavy loads.

0 Likes