cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

buddha666
Journeyman III

Cannot reach 4,8Ghz with Ryzen 5900x and strange passmark scores

Hello, I have a new machine 5900x + ASUS TUF GAMING B550 PLus (Wifi) + quite busty Ninja 5 + 32Gb 3600 CL16 + 850W Corsair RMx. With default BIOS 1401 I just set RAMs to higher freq (default is 2666mhz) and maybe did something I don't remember. I tried Passmark 10 had expected values 38804 in CPU mark (3152 single thread 75K in Floating-point math). I also saw 4,8+ GHz in windows task manager. Later on, I updated BIOS to the latest beta 1601, tried to reproduce BIOS setting like before but experienced an incredible downfall in PassMark which I have till now. I also tried to download and restore older BIOS 1401, but nothing has changed. Now I have around 23K in CPU mark (2712 in Single thread and just around 12K ! in floating-point math). I tried several combinations in BIOS, have XMP ram profile, some overall performance from standard to ASUS optimal, some performance enhancer ON, also in windows I have in AI Suite 3 some extreme profiles (probably its about VRM setting) and also in Ryzen Master the Creator profile with PBO ON. In Cinebench R20 I have an 8453 / 598 score which is closer to the expected reality but still quite low. During test, I saw around  4,43Ghz turbo and saw it also with the single-core test when the rest of the CPU was doing almost nothing. Temperatures were just over 60degrees only, so no throttling. Can somebody tell me what might be wrong? Passmark is in both cases version 10 build 1010 with an expired trial.

0 Likes
6 Replies
VirusAm
Adept I

Hi I have similar issues.

I reported in this thread on the passmark forum

ryzen 9 5900x low scores, good temps and freqs - PassMark Support Forums

Basically, I compared my results with other users with the same chip using passmark, and I have a very low floating point score, and much worse single thread score then him, while all other settings are basically on par with him.

I tried everything...updated to the latest bios...reset everything to default...but nothing seems to help.

Strangely in cinebench I get results near the baseline.....

So probably what is ruining floating point score is ruining also single thread score.

Temps and frequencies seems to be ok and not an issue.

But I am losing my mind due to this issue

0 Likes

Hey I had the same issue with the 5900x, for me it was Asus AI Suite.

Uninstalling doesn't work, you need to reinstall the OS and avoid touching that program at all, the other asus software (armoury crate) seems fine.

Yeah it is the ASUS AI SUITE.

That **bleep** bloatware...

Here you can find the details of my findinds: 

https://forums.passmark.com/performancetest/49705-ryzen-9-5900x-low-scores-good-temps-and-freqs#post...

Unfortunately I did not find a way to fix it without resetting Windows.

However after reset, everything went back to normal.

So long story short.

Stay away from ASUS AI Suite software

0 Likes

I found the solution!!  After googling around, it seems people have been having this problem for years after installing the ASUS AI Suite 3 or similar software. The problem is it enables something called HPET in Windows 10 which is normally disabled by default. When you uninstall the software, it does not disable this again. It leaves it enabled. You can verify this by running command prompt as administrator and typing "bcdedit /enum"  If HPET is enabled you'll see "useplatformclock       yes" in the list. If it's not there, it's disabled. But if it's there, that is your problem. To disable it, just type "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock"   You'll find it disappears off the list after that. Then run CPU Mark again and your scores should be normalized like mine were. No need to reinstall Windows!

Yeah, HPET definitely kills the passmark rating.  I  couldn't figure out why the same CPU going from an MSI mag to an Asus was going from 42,000 to 36,000 in passmark CPU test.  I pulled up a screenshot to compare and the fp-math score was super low, everything else had the usual score.  I was afraid something could be really messed up!!  This  was the answer I needed 100%

And **bleep** Asus??  Do they even test this crap?  It is pretty dumb of Asus to push software that is going to incur such a performance penalty.  Especially because AI suite is next to useless.

I nvr run stuff from manufacturers.  I think I tried AI suite out for the LED control (and that is a separate program anyways).  But I can control everything with iCUE except for non-corsair LED RAM.  And while it costs -$200 for a kit of 4500 cl18 the same spec RAM by Corsair is gonna cost $4000.  So I replaced the LED-RAM with no-led RAM.  Rather than have everything else running in harmony and the RAM doing its own thing like it got lost or something.

Anyways, glad I found this thread!!  And just for the record you have to restart after you disable HPET to see the improvement.

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

A guess. Check your computers temperature if its above 90c the cpu is trotteling down to protect itself.
Also try to go into windows power settings and select normal/standard power setting and see if that help.

0 Likes