Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

southernislands
Journeyman III

Cannot install Ryzen Master without drive C:

Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x

Chipset: B450

Configuration detail: Windows is installed in drive G:, and there is no drive C:. The first drive is drive D:

Step to reproduce:

Install Ryzen Master on a system that does not have drive C:

Expected behaviour:

Ryzen Master installer should give user the option to choose destination other than C: and install normally.

Actual behaviour:

1. The first step (extracting the msi package) fails first because there is no C:

2. Then users are presented with a dialog to choose the extraction destination.

3. After choosing a destination other than drive C:, it exits with a message "Cannot open logfiles because 'C:\XXXX.log' cannot be found"

4. Despite that, it did extract the msi package to user-selected location.

5. Manually opening the msi package yields "Error 1327, Invalid drive C:"

Thus, it is not possible to install Ryzen Master if there is no drive C:

0 Likes
5 Replies

I have always thought that Windows installation automatically configures whatever drive it installs as "C" drive. It seems like you can change driver letter but is not recommended in below link.

How were you able to change the Windows Drive from "C" to "G"?

According to his article: How to Change a Drive Letter (Windows 10, 8, 7, ...) 

You cannot change the drive letter of the drive that the Windows operating system is installed on. If you'd like Windows to exist on a drive other than C, or whatever it happens to be now, you can make that happen but you'll have to complete a clean install of Windows to do it. Unless you have a pressing need to have Windows exist on a different drive letter, we don't recommend going through all that trouble.

Note: I would open an Online AMD Service Request to see how you can modify the Ryzen Master installation file to install on a Non-"C" Windows drive from here : Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

Well, modifying drive letter for whatever reason after installation is surely a hassle, but this particular Windows copy was batch deployed using WinNTSetup3, in which you can choose "install to destination drive as [drive letter]".

I think ryzen master should not hardcode a drive letter, instead it should use something like %SYSTEMDRIVE% or similar env vars. I am not a Windows expert though.

0 Likes

southernislands, I agree with you.  I currently have an open problem with AMD on Ryzen Master (RM) and have reported this.   I do not know, of course, know what or when something may happen.  I would hope you could install a fresh copy of Windows using the C: disk.  Could you please share with us why you installed to another letter?  I played with this some years ago (W7) and ran into such a mess that I decided it was fruitless and surrendered.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Has this been fixed? If so, what is the solution? If not, why not. I have a legacy install on G drive. Do not want to do major migration to use updated Ryzen Master, old version install and is usable but needs reboot to implement changes.  I can live with having to run fresh after reboot, but having to do a second reboot is too much for may spouse.

0 Likes

This bug was exposed many months ago perhaps a few years.  I suggest opening a formal problem and asking again to have it corrected.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes