cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tehchad
Adept I

Can't get my Ryzen 7 3700X build to POST? Any Advice?

Hello everyone! I'm new here to the forums. Also, I'm kinda new to PC building, I've only built 3 systems.This would be the 4th system I would be building. This time is different because it the very first I'm building by myself. My last system I built around 2009.

Here are the parts I've selected for this build.

My MOBO is:

ASRock X570 TAICHI AM4 AMD Premium X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

ASRock > X570 Taichi I went here to check compatibility while selecting parts (towards the bottom nav menu). This motherboard  is great it has something called Dr. Debug to troubleshoot issues, and some sort of feature where you can have it download drivers simply by connecting the ethernet cord.

My CPU is:

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
It will be the stock Wraith Prism Cooler it came with. I'm pretty sure it it the "Matisse" type.

My RAM is:

HyperX Predator 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 RAM (Desktop Memory) CL16 XMP Black DIMM (288-Pin) HX432C16PB3K2/32. I have 2 sets for a total of 64GB of RAM. The packaging for the ram says it is Designed for Intel  XMP certified. I do not know what XMP is, and I am not using an Intel Core CPU.

I consulted the manufacturers website here ASRock > X570 Taichi and if you use CTRL + F you can see that the HX432C16PB3K2/32 model number is on the compatibility list for the motherboard. The manufacturers documentation when it talks about installing RAM gives me this lovely chart and doesn't explain how to interpret it. 
I'm supposed to use A2, B2 per the documentation with just 2 sticks of RAM. However, I bought 4 Sticks of RAM. But this documentation does not list anything about the 3200 Mhz In slot A1, B1 for the Ryzen Matisse CPU (I'm pretty sure the Ryzen 7 3700x is "Matisse". This chart has stuff lower but none of it is the 3200 Mhz. I bought this hardware with the intention of NOT OVERCLOCKING it {it was also one of the few the did not have the overclock (O.C) designator when I bought the product}. I would rather have a stable PC for 10+ year instead of one that performs well for 5 years but burns out because it was overclocked.

AMDnonxmpMEMSupport.png

I decided to use NVME (It's terrifying{new hardware I've never used before} I'm used to regular HDD's).

My NVME is:

Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe G3 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ZP1000CM3A001. My particular NVME model number I could not find any information regarding whether or not it is compatible with the AsRock Taichi x570 motherboard but other Seagate FireCuda NVME are compatible per AsRock's website.

My OS (when I get past POST and can actually see the BIOS to install it):
Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit Edition

I don't think I need to mention my PSU but it is a 750 Watt Fully Modular Corsair RX PSU, the case is a Corsair Carbide SPEC-OMEGA  RGB case, the case I've installed 5 Corsair 120 MM RGB Fans, 2 at the top to exhaust 2 at the front to pull in, 1 in the back to exhaust.

Now, I wasn't intending to fully build my system today, I just wanted to make sure it went through the POST process. 
The last time I went and built a computer I bought most of the parts at Fry's Electronics. As you leave the store they actually tested to make sure everything POSTs for you. They don't stick it in the case or anything they just insert the CPU (without the heatsink) connect what they needed to check and see if it posts and then you're good to go.

So, I was trying to emulate what they did {and what PC builders on youtube do, I don't want to set everything in the case just yet, and have to take it all back out because stuff doesn't work or I have to do cable magic (the case while cool is not practical for building)}. I connected the 24-Pin power to my MoBo. The Dr.Debug kept giving me a read out of 00. Basically, it couldn't detect the CPU. Because, silly me in my excitement forgot to connect the power cord for the CPU.Once I did that I got past the 00 error, but then I had a lot of numbers flash across the Dr. Debug readout, it did 14 and 15. But then it did several others, it went too fast for me to write it down. I did not attach the heatsink. I tried it with just 2 sticks of RAM then 4 then 2 again.

So now, I'm stuck and not sure if it's my NVME or RAM but I don't think it is either. I think it was mad that I didn't have anything else besides the CPU and MOBO power connected. No fans, no heatsink, No GPU, no front panel buttons. I still can't POST, and go into the BIOS to configure any settings there.  

I also slapped all my parts into PC Part Picker, it says there are no compatibility issues. Apart from one which says the following.
The ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

0 Likes
13 Replies
tehchad
Adept I

For the official AMD forums I'm surprised at the lack of answers from other AMD users.

I was able to boot and get into the bios.

I was not aware that modern motherboards no longer use a POST buzzer, they now have a digital readout for POST Issues. Since there were no beeps to listen for, I did not have those hints to troubleshoot my issues.

The onboard HDMI port (for this board) does not work unless you have an APU, a CPU with integrated graphics built in. That is not the type of processor I have. Which means I would never had any visual indicators on my monitor using the onboard HDMI. At this time I did not have my graphics card installed. Since I did not have a working visual output, I had no clue the whole time I was actually POST'ing and getting past the BIOS.

I also was purposely not connecting things. Because, I was taught you connect hardware (especially new hardware you are unfamiliar with) one at a time because its easier to narrow issues down this way.

I also was fully expecting my CPU to overheat and turn off given that I did not have the cooler installed. That is proof that the safety protocols enigineered into the CPU are working as expected and reassures me that my CPU is working as intended.

0 Likes

Bro you seem very inexperienced and troubleshooting online is not going to solve your issues, you need to work with a more experienced builder or have someone else build it for you.

0 Likes

I thought it was pretty obvious in the first paragraph when I said I'm new to pc building that I am out of my comfort zone. I also did mention I resolved the issue. I also marked this as answered. It would be more beneficial, in the future for other interactions with people. If you consider being more polite to people and actually read the post in its entirety before commenting. You would have known what I did and did not do. You would have seen me say, I'm new to building PC's also.

0 Likes

PC building can be very frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. An experienced builder has a systematic process to diagnose issues. I'm trying to save you from future headache my friend.

This is a much better interaction with you. I can agree that building a PC is very frustrating process. I have only built 3 PC's in my lifetime. Perhaps it being the 4th I've built trying to do it myself was not appropriate. I'm probably too inexperienced. I would have enjoyed having people like my dad or computer whiz friend next to me building it with me. But neither of them are around to help me this time. So I was doing the best I could with my own efforts. The last time I built a pc was 2009 and hardware has changed since then.

0 Likes

tehchad wrote:

This is a much better interaction with you. I can agree that building a PC is very frustrating process. I have only built 3 PC's in my lifetime. Perhaps it being the 4th I've built trying to do it myself was not appropriate. I'm probably too inexperienced. I would have enjoyed having people like my dad or computer whiz friend next to me building it with me. But neither of them are around to help me this time. So I was doing the best I could with my own efforts. The last time I built a pc was 2009 and hardware has changed since then.

I have build thousands of custom machines

0 Likes

Hardcore you've been nothing but helpful. I appreciate it. Baede was not being helpful at first and then he in my opinion was being rude. But now he is being nicer.

0 Likes

tehchad wrote:

Hardcore you've been nothing but helpful. I appreciate it. Baede was not being helpful at first and then he in my opinion was being rude. But now he is being nicer.

hope you new build keeps you happy, if there is an issue, come on back and somebody can help

make sure you enable the AMD equivalent to XMP in the BIOS so that the memory can be setup better.

Thanks for the info. When I go and finish the build. I'll look for and enable that option.

0 Likes

post the CPU-Z screenshot for the memory timing so I can see how good the present BIOS is handling RAM

I do not have an OS installed presently but I will post a CPU-z screenshot after I finish the build. The best I have is a picture of my bios screen.

0 Likes
tehchad
Adept I

The problem for right now is resolved. This thread can be closed at a moderators earliest convenience. Thanks to everyone who helped!

0 Likes