cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

andres_paiva
Adept II

Can I use the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G without additional thermal paste?

Can I use the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G without additional thermal paste?

Or should I add paste before mounting the cooler?

Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

Without any Thermal paste or Thermal Pad between the CPU surface and the CPU Cooler Heat Sink, your CPU will very quickly overheat and shut down the computer.

The purpose of the Thermal Paste is to allow heat to conduct efficiently between the CPU and it CPU Cooler. It covers any microscopic imperfections between the two surfaces and the paste is made to conduct heat through it.

So unless you want an unusable PC or possibly damage your expensive Ryzen I would apply thermal paste before mounting the CPU Cooler on the Processor.

Thanks elstaci, but I am afraid that I expressed myself in a confused way. I'm sorry, English is not my native language.

What I want to say is that I have seen videos of processor assembly on YouTube, and technicians do not add thermal paste, because they say that it is enough to have the cooler pre-applied.

This is so? Or should I add extra pasta? That's my doubt.

Okay, I understand.

If the new CPU Cooler already has a Pre-applied layer of Thermal paste, than NO, you don't need to add extra Thermal Paste. This will actually prevent the CPU Cooler from efficiently cooling the CPU if it has TOO much Thermal Paste applied. But if you are going to use the previous (old) CPU Cooler, than you need to clean the CPU Cooler Heat Sink of the old Thermal Paste and apply a new clean layer of Thermal Paste.

You only apply Thermal Paste if the CPU and the CPU Cooler doesn't have any or you are replacing the old Thermal Paste with a new layer of Thermal paste.

As long as you have a very thin layer of Thermal paste when you install the CPU Cooler on the CPU that is all that is necessary.

As far as I know, The Retail CPU that is sold never comes with Pre-applied Thermal Paste. They may include a Tube of Thermal Paste for you to apply though in case you are going to use the previous (old) CPU Cooler and not a new one.

0 Likes

Thanks, here in Argentina the Ryzen 5 2400G comes with pre-applied thermal paste.

Unfortunately, I must change it because the packaging does not have protection against dirt.

What type of pasta do you recommend to use?

Of metallic, ceramic or carbon type?

Thanks a lot again.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

andres.paiva, not a good idea to skip the TIM.  If the two surfaces were perfectly smooth, you could probably get away with it.  This would usually require lapping both the processor and the cooler which would void the warranties of both.  I always add TIM.  Enjoy, John.

Thanks misterj, but I am afraid that I expressed myself in a confused way. I'm sorry, English is not my native language.

What I want to say is that I have seen videos of processor assembly on YouTube, and technicians do not add thermal paste, because they say that it is enough to have the cooler pre-applied.

This is so? Or should I add extra pasta? That's my doubt.

0 Likes

andres.paiva, you can simply use the pre-applied TIM or remove it and apply you own - do not apply yours on top of theirs.  You can use 99% Isopropyl  alcohol for cleaning.  Unfortunately a user just posted a problem with the CPU stuck to the cooler by pre-applied cooler TIM - try searching.  Thanks and enjoy, John.