cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Can I transplant my AMD A6 processor from my laptop into a desktop that uses an Intel Pentium E2160 CPU

Jump to solution

So, I have a desktop PC, and it does run quite slow (it uses an Intel Pentium E2160 CPU ). And I also have a laptop that has an AMD A6 CPU which is obviously faster. I was wondering if the sockets were the same on the processors, could I 'transplant' the CPU? And if so should I. Because all I want is a faster PC, that's it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Can I transplant my AMD A6 processor from my laptop into a desktop that uses an Intel Pentium E2160 CPU

Jump to solution

No. AMD and Intel use entirely different sockets. Even if the manufacturer were the same you would have to check if the motherboard even supported that particular processor. That is because both AMD and Intel have changed sockets over the years with each socket only supporting particular processors.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Can I transplant my AMD A6 processor from my laptop into a desktop that uses an Intel Pentium E2160 CPU

Jump to solution

NO!  This is not possible for a number of reasons...

Go to cpu-world.com to do some research on the processors...

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

No. AMD and Intel use entirely different sockets. Even if the manufacturer were the same you would have to check if the motherboard even supported that particular processor. That is because both AMD and Intel have changed sockets over the years with each socket only supporting particular processors.

View solution in original post