cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bittwiddler
Journeyman III

Can AMD FX 770K CPU be replaced by Athlon 4X 845 CPU ?

Can AMD FX 770K CPU be replaced by Athlon 4X 845 CPU in Lenovo Erazer X315?  I received a new Athlon 4X 845 CPU via Amazon yesterday and PC won’t boot with new CPU.  Fans come on but power light off.  Reinstalled FX 770K CPU and all is good!

0 Likes
1 Solution
arcticwind
Forerunner

Both processors use the same socket (FM2+) but, it really depends on the motherboard and the system BIOS that Lenovo is using.

Check with Lenovo's support/forums to see if the system BIOS allows for the processor swap.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Both processors use the same socket (FM2+) but, it really depends on the motherboard and the system BIOS that Lenovo is using.

Check with Lenovo's support/forums to see if the system BIOS allows for the processor swap.

0 Likes

Thanks. I'll try to get an answer from Lenovo. Based on my previous experience with PC vendors, they try to lock out component upgrades to force you to buy a newer system. I would suspect that they modified the BIOS to not only show their splash screen but also block upgrades. Next time I'll go back to building my own PC!

0 Likes
bittwiddler
Journeyman III

I determined that there were no compatibility problems after contacting Lenovo.Tech Support!  After I notified AMD Tech Support I received the following (ridiculous) reply...

Dear Robert,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200854410]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your response

I understand you are having query related to the compatibility of Athlon processor in Lenovo erazer X315.

To narrow down the issue, I request you to install the processor in another well-known system and check the progress.

Thanks for contacting AMD

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AM

AMD Global Customer Care

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This email is a direct result of your contact with AMD Global Customer Care and not part of a campaign.  There is no need to unsubscribe to this email as you will only be contacted again if you directly request another service from AMD Global Customer Care.

The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only.  AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change such information at any time, with or without notice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Text

Bob Stout <rstoutinreno@charter.net>

To:

1. TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM

CC:

Sent:

1. 11.01.19 01:41:47

Subject:

RE: Athlon X4 845 Compatibility

I checked with Lenovo Tech Support and they sent me the X315 Hardware Maintenance Manual PDF. There is no reason for the Athlon™ 4X 845 CPU not to work! The AMD Athlon™ X4 750 is specifically listed in the Maintenance Manual as one of the many supported AMD CPU’s for the X315. There are no restrictions on any AMD FM2+ socket CPU’s 95W or less. It looks like my CPU is just DOA, but it cannot be returned to vender. Vendor has no more in stock. The new heat-sink/fan works great! What do I need to do to return the dead 4X 845 for exchange under warranty?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Likes

Did you clear the CMOS on the motherboard after installing the new processor?

0 Likes

If the Maintenance Manual shows that the 4x 750 is compatible doesn't automatically mean that the 4x 845 is compatible. The laptop needs to have the correct BIOS/UEFI installed so the 4x 845 is recognized. Lenovo probably has a BIOS/UEFI for the 4x 750 but not for the 4x 850. If you go to Lenovo's Support for you laptop, see if they have a BIOS/UEFI that includes the 4x 845. If they don't, that probably indicates that the CPU is not supported by your laptop.

But as arcticwind​ mentioned, after replacing the CPU you need to reset the laptop's BIOS/UEFI if it is compatible.  That way when the BIOS/UEFI is reset it recognizes the new CPU and configures the proper settings.

If by chance the CPU is DOA, you may want to try and open an Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and see if they will exchange it under Warranty. You can do from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD

0 Likes