cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

david001
Journeyman III

Can a 1st Gen Threadripper 1920 be installed in a TRX40 socket mainboard?

I would like to know if first gen threadrippers, such as the 1920 will work in the new socket TRX40 mainboards.

0 Likes
1 Solution

david001, the new TRs will no run with the old chip set and vise versa!  Even if it fits in the socket!  Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

No.

The 1st & 2nd generation AMD processors uses AM4 socket. The 3rd Generation AMD Threadripper uses a new socket TRX40.

0 Likes

I may have phrased my question wrong, but the 1st Gen Threadrippers use the TR4 socket.  I don't think I clarified that I was speaking of the Threadripper series.  The new socket is the TRx4 and I am inquiring whether the 1st Gen Threadrippers will work on that socket.  My understanding is that the pin pattern is the same, however the newer Threadrippers will not work on the older socket TR4, but I have not found any information on the other way around.

0 Likes

The answer still is no. The 1st and 2nd Generation Threadrippers (TR4 Socket) are not compatible with the 3rd Generation Threadripper new TRX40 socket.

This tech site explain in detail how the two sockets are different in incompatible with each other: AMD Ryzen Threadripper sTRX4 & TR4 Socket Layouts Detailed 

The pin layout of AMD's Ryzen Threadripper sTRX4 and TR4 sockets has been detailed by Hwbattle who have compiled a full pin configuration map for the two sockets. It looks like with the updated pin map, we shouldn't expect any kind of compatibility with the older TR4 socket-based CPUs even if the sockets look visually identical.

It is mentioned that AMD has implemented ID pin recognition to match compatible CPUs with their socket and in this case, the sTRX4 socket would only support 3rd Gen Threadrippers. The socket will prevent boot on any older processor by recognizing the pin configuration.

0 Likes

david001, the new TRs will no run with the old chip set and vise versa!  Even if it fits in the socket!  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks very much for the info guys.  Much appreciated.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

david001, the answer is no, but not that the old socket is AM4.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes