cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jeromeba
Journeyman III

Can 3400G handle another graphic card ?

Hello, I wanted to reuse my old iiyama crt. So I got a card with a vga output, a radeon 300SE I goes undetected in w10 It is detected under linux, with the radeon driver.
Screen and card work.
At boot , I get the mint logo on all 3 screens.

Then the crt goes back to text mode to display the error

0.499438] pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

[ 0.500421] pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Found IOMMU cap 0x40

(inxi -Fxz   returns)

Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Picasso vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.0 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: none unloaded: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~75Hz OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.38.0 5.8.0-50-generic LLVM 10.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.5 direct render: Yes

I checked IOMMU is on in bios, and here my grub (commented are all failed attempts) #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash iommu=pt resume=/dev/sdb2"
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=on iommu=pt resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=on iommu=soft resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=fullflush iommu=pt resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=fullflush iommu=pt amd_iommu_dump=1 resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=fullflush iommu=soft amd_iommu_dump=1 resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amd_iommu=fullflush iommu=pt amd_iommu_dump=1 resume=/dev/sdb2" #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="amd_iommu=on iommu=soft amd_iommu_dump=1 amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff resume=/dev/sdb2 quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="amd_iommu=on iommu=pt amd_iommu_dump=1 resume=/dev/sdb2 quiet splash"

MB is Asus TUF GAMING B550 PLUS
Bios is latest stable version

What else can I try ? thank you

0 Likes
2 Replies

The Radeon X300SE is a very old ATI legacy GPU Card.

There are no Window 7 nor Windows 10 drivers. Only Windows Vista and earlier drivers.

The only Linux showing for that GPU card from AMD Download page is linux from 2009: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/legacy-graphics/ati-radeon-x-series/ati-radeon-x3xx-series

There are much newer AMD GPU cards with VGA ports that are compatible with the latest Linux or Windows 7/10 OS.

You can also purchase a HDMI>VGA / DP>VGA /DVI_D>VGA Active adapter to connect your VGA Monitor with one of the latest AMD GPU cards.

But once you install the GPU Card your BIOS will automatically make the GPU Card the Main Display device and disable the 3400G Integrated Graphics unless you set in BIOS for the Integrated Graphics to be the Main Display Device which will disable your GPU card.

NOTE: You can let Windows 10 Update to see if it will install a compatible Windows 10 driver. But if none found you are out of luck.

0 Likes

Oh yes, its very old. Found it in a pc I owned
I dont want to buy a new cable (be it active thus more expensive) I already have two boxes of cables that could be useful some day.

Other than that, I am very satisfied with the 3400G, its game capable, handles two lcds correctly everyday.
Some stream games loosing the picture from time to time thats all

I wanted to give my 1600x1200 CRT some justice (league) for celebrating its 20+ yo.
But I presume 3 screens isnt a mainstream usage, thoroughly tested as those G procs mostly fit in office boxes

I mostly use linux and cant find were to force the use of that card and/or the correct bios+grub+???? settings
Next try is to use my vga equipped laptop and use it a extended desktop.