Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

BSOD caused by processor issues

Several months have pased since I start having those BSOD. I have tried everything (literally, almos every possible solution). I mostly tought it was a RAM problem, also HDD problems but after several checks and possible solution nothing fixed it. So I got am amswer (an answer I wasnt happy to read), I been told it could be a processor issue after reading this whocrashed report

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: fffffa8007e51038, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRVBUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRVPRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

Wish it is not the processor (and who better than you to tell me so), hope there is a way to check if the processor is bad and maybe it is the motherboard.

And there is something strange in all of this, because it only happen en 'low' uses of the PC (like doing nothing, surfing the net/windows, and mostly on youtube; also I noticed this problem is more frecuent in win 8 and much more in win 10; actually I am using win 7 x64) and seems to not happen in 'heavy' loads (like playing fallout 4, metal gear 5, and so on)

Hope you can help me, thanks!

PS: If you need de .dmp file or whocrashed full report just tell me.

PC specks.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 black edition 3.6 GHz

GPU: MSI R9 380

PSU: 600w

MB: Asus M5A78L-MLX3

Memory: 2x 4GB Kingstom

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: BSOD caused by processor issues

I'm not certain that anyone can give you an accurate answer. You may need to try a different CPU or try your CPU in a different PC. Error reports are not always accurate. They report what they believe is happening but they don't necessarily know the cause of the problem.

Have you tried installing the latest BIOS for your mobo? Newer BIOS often fix DRAM and other issues that are reported to mobo makers. Asus mobos have IME and many other people's experience had DRAM sensitivity issues for years. Some of the DRAM on the Asus qualified lists does not work in all of the Asus model mobos it's approved for.

The fact that the issue appears to occur under light load instead of heavy load does not sound like a CPU issue to me, but there is no means to be sure without considerable testing. I always check new DRAM or current DRAM if a system issue develops with Memtest86+ on an overnight test because DRAM errors do not always show in just a few hours of testing. You could also test with just one DIMM to see if it makes any difference. I'd also check that the DIMM timings are set to the label specifications on the DIMMs and that the DIMM voltage is 1.5v unless you are using LV DDR3 DRAM. Sometimes auto detect does now set the timings as required for optimal performance.

Finding these types of issues requires a lot of testing and patience often including interchanging of some parts.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I also dont believe it is the CPU, I really believe it is a ram problem.

I have run a lot of testing over my system, mostly software (I also updated my bios to the latest version), updated all driver, updated everything. I clean my components and changed thermal paste. I have to do more testing on ram, I tried taking off memories one at a time (havent tried swaping slots) And I must run again the memtest.

I really dont know what else do, Maybe praying [?

Any recomendation? Anything, i'll take any testing advise

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

In my experience, WHEA usually points towards the CPU, but it can be caused other hardware or software.

Is the CPU running at stock clocks?

Have you altered any bios settings?

Have you configured XMP in the bios?

What's the CPU temp?

Jorge's advice is good, testing each memory stick for around 8 hours on its own should be sufficient.

Update to the latest Mobo bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I've got the latest BIOS version, never manipulated the clocks (it is in its default configuration), havent done any changes in the BIOS and I dont know what XMP is. And the temps are fine, been checking it since I start suffering this BSOD

I am in the way to full check the ram memories

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

What is the make and model of the memory? It should have it written on the sticks.

Please navigate to the System Bios > Advanced > CPU Configuration and tell me what options it gives you.

I'm looking for an option called XMP. I am wondering if perhaps settings the correct XMP profile for your memory will resolve the issue.

Wondering what an XMP profile is?

XMP Memory Profiles as Fast As Possible - YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Havent find anything similar to XMP. I took some pictures of what you asked me

WP_20160304_16_25_22_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_28_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_36_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_48_Pro.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's under the JumperFree Configuration Menu?

According to the datasheet it does not appear to support XMP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Whats the jumperFree? Sorry, I am not that familiar with those terms

And what does it means it doesnt support XMP?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

JumperFree is an option in the bios. I was going to try and check your settings and perhaps lower them to see if that resolves the issue.

XMP is a pre-defined set of timings set by the memory manufacturer which are guaranteed stable.

If you can post some screenshots of that JumperFree Config settings i will try and guide you.

0 Kudos