cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Vratrix
Adept I

Brand new Ryzen 7 5800U overheat.

I am new to this forum, so if I placed this thread in the wrong place, sorry in Advance..

So I bought myself yesterday an Asus TUF A15 with a Ryzen 7 5800U, an RTX 3060, with 8gb of ram.
So on idle the temperature is normal, between 45°-55°Celsius (113°F-131°F), but once I start turning on a game, such as Rainbow 6 Siege and War Thunder, the temperature spikes up to 90°Celsius (194°F), which is too high for my liking. (Though when exiting the game, it rapidly drops to normal levels). I am set on the Performance profile, and if I place myself on turbo it can spike up to 95°C (203°F) which I find counter intuitive as the performance boost is negligible, fan is extremely loud (feels like I have a Pratt & Whitney JT8D in my room (heavily exaggerated, but you get my point).

So cause of this, I decided to search on google ways to be able to help with cooling down the CPU, a few people said to try to drop the CPU power settings to 99%, which doesn't appear in the normal Windows 10 settings; tried using RyzenController placed the max temperature at 85°Celsius (185°F) to no avail; also tried using AMD's official app, Ryzen Master, couldn't even start as the CPU wasn't compatible for the program.

Please help, I am also thinking of buying a cooling pad, but I doubt it would do any significant changes (probably just drop the temperature by 2°C)

So yea, ANY help is welcomes.

P.s: Is the Ryzen 7 5800U even rated to be able to cope with those temperature on the long run? Or does the normal optimal CPU temperature rule still count count (80-85°c on heavy use) for this CPU?

Thanks in advance..

0 Likes
14 Replies

Max Temp. is 105C ,by amd specs.

So maybe speak to Asus, or find a way to cool it better (like maybe put more load on the GPU).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

How to put the load on the GPU??

My GPU is already at 78c when playing

0 Likes

Usually by increasing game graphics quality settings (at the cost of fps).

But also may depend on if the game is cpu or gpu intensive on use.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Tried that.. it doesn't work.. CPU temp is basically the same

@goodplay 

0 Likes

Oh wow Ryzen master doesnt work?  I just realised youre running the "U" variant and not "X" which is probably why.  The other thing I did in Master was increase the power values which gave the cpu more headroom without being limited, in conjunction with the curve optimizer.  That worked for me so I dont get why it isnt similar for the "U" chip.....as for the high temps, yes sadly the 5800 is the hottest in the 5000 family and this shocked me too.  Hopefully someone with the same chip as you on here can shed more light.  The only other suggestion I would have had was setting the chip to "Eco" mode in Ryzen Master (Which youre saying you cant do) .... maybe theres a setting for this in the overclocking section of your motherboard?  Youll lose a tiny amount of power but the temps should settle way down.  

cmplord
Adept I

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/new-5800x-running-70c-idle-need-help/m-p/461512#M39967

See my thread here I had the same issue - After 3 days of testing I can safely set the Curve Optimizer to Negative 20 on all cores and have Auto OC to 100Mhz OC in Ryzen Master - I barely go much past 70C in gaming now, and if so only for a few seconds (this is in games like Warzone and Flight sim)

The Curve Optimizer is the best thing AMD have done regarding Overclocking (its technically an underclock!) affecting real world performance!

Any issues give me a shout

0 Likes

The problem is, Ryzen Master is not compatible for my CPU... like when i boot it up it says my CPU cant be tinkered by Ryzen Master

@cmplord 

0 Likes
Basvas
Adept I

Hi everyone, i have the same problem with ryzen 5800u, I bought HP probook x360 435 g8 with iGPU vega 8. 16 GB ram. 

In witcher 3 average temp 74-78 degrees

Residen evil 2 remaster 80-85 degrees

Star Wars fallen order 75-80 degrees

Sometimes temperature increasing to 95, especially while downloading level or cut scenes. 

Ryzen Master doesnt work, msi afterburner too. Bios doesnt have any options for CPU or fans.  

So, problem is we cant do undervolting for 5800u, its blocked. Also,  very important is  update amd drivers, without it temperature is around 90 always  

If anyone share how to fix overheating, i Will be appreciate

0 Likes
trek
Elite

These are normal temperatures for notebook, even rather perfect for lower endish price notebook you have. I do not know how many notebooks you have had, but all notebooks I have had  reached in load 90C on CPU even with normal load not even games. Take a look at countless reviews of various notebooks, as you have cheaper model those all run "hot and loud".

Also, 90C is normal operating temperature for this CPU, in the datasheet max 105C is specified so no problem.

You will probably not decrease temp of your CPU easily because cooling is shared with GPU and you have RTX 3060.

@cmplordhas desktop with watercooling, so his experience is irrelevant for this case, curve optimizer settings will not decrease temperatures

0 Likes

Actually, I saw video on YouTube with hp probook 455 g8 with the same CPU, temperature 60 degrees constant.

But thx for explanation, I have Just a cheap Notebook  

0 Likes

Can you share a link to that video with HP ProBook 455 g8 with the same CPU and graphics card having 60C while gaming?

0 Likes

0 Likes

Guys, maybe it sounds weird, but when I installed second module RAM (16 GB) it started work in dual mode, temperature in games is 70 degrees!  I like it, I think it's a good result for my laptop, probook 455 has bigger size, so cooling is better. 

0 Likes

Basvas this thread was about 5800U with RTX 3060, you should create own thread. You have different setup with integrated graphics card only.

I replied to OP - that he has cheaperish notebook that does not have so nice cooling as more expensive models. I was not replying to you, your thread hijacking is very unfortunate. These forums are complete waste of time as members do not have basic manners, how to operate in discussion forums.

0 Likes