cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gexy1
Journeyman III

Brand New Ryzen 5 5600x Overheating Problem

I just built this system last week and the new Processor is idling high at 39c with spikes to 60c+. This isn't my first BBQ or computer build. I've done many over the last 25+ yrs. Did I forget something or do it wrong? Please, any help is appreciated. 

MB- Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 BIOS ver. F15a

Proc.- Ryzen 5 5600x @ stock settings.  ("Auto" everything in the BIOS for now) Stock cooler right now. I had an MSI Corliquid 240r liquid cooler but had the exact same problem so I tried the stock air cooler to see if the pump was bad. Obviously not!

RAM- 2x 16 Gb (32 Gb total) T-Force VulcanZ  DDR4 3200

SSHD- WD Black 500Gb

Graphix- Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G  8Gb 

I know how to apply the paste properly and make sure the cooler is secured correctly to the Proc. All fans in BIOS are at "FULL" including CPU fan.  I just don't know what I could be missing. Any suggestions and any help is very much appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
shuffl2me
Adept III

hey buddy, 

would prob say its the stock cooler as it's a bit *ahem* ..... naff.

my 5600x was hitting 80c while gaming before i replaced the cooler with and Artic Freezer 360mm AIO, as expected temps plummeted down to a maximum of 60-65c

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
shuffl2me
Adept III

hey buddy, 

would prob say its the stock cooler as it's a bit *ahem* ..... naff.

my 5600x was hitting 80c while gaming before i replaced the cooler with and Artic Freezer 360mm AIO, as expected temps plummeted down to a maximum of 60-65c

0 Likes

The water cooler I have needs servicing and I don't even want that headache so I bought a Cooler Master r212 air cooler. This is a giant compared to the petite Wrath cooler that comes with the Processor. My idol temp is now stable at 30-31c and the max-est temp I've seen in the last 3 days is 69c. I'm thinkin that this cpu line just naturally runs hotter than the FX and earlier series processors. I never had a temp above 50c back then ever. 

So, the bottom line is AMD stock cooler is garbage so do yourself a favor (like I didn't the first time) and spend a few $$ on a better cooler at the very beginning of the install.

Thanks for the help!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I generally use the AIO CPU coolers now for new builds - less worry and never any overheating issues.  However, the AMD CPU cooler is actually decent.  I used it on a recent build (yes, the 5600X CPU) where I wanted to save money and it was in a large case with lots of breathing room (open back for one thing).  No overheating with the stock AMD CPU cooler with this build.

Inside Game-a-Tron-3 - yes, it's a bit messy..Inside Game-a-Tron-3 - yes, it's a bit messy..You don't see the wiring inside with the front closed.You don't see the wiring inside with the front closed.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
crazyplazma
Journeyman III

I recently switched to a new 1440p monitor (previously 1080p) and got notifications on startup saying my CPU overheated. My computer never crashed during this time but I still decided to check my CPU temps using Ryzen Master. I was sitting at mid 40 to low 50 Celsius idle and reached mid 70s to low 80s sometimes spiking to low 90s while playing games. I know that this is abnormal and don’t know where the issue stems from. I use the ML240L V2 AIO made by Cooler Master and never noticed any issues until I switched to a new monitor. I applied more than enough thermal paste onto the CPU while installing and run it at stock settings. Any help on where the issue could be stemming from?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X

AIO - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB

GPU - Nvidia RTX 3070

Motherboard - MSI MAG Tomahawk B550

RAM - 32 Gigs

Case - NXZT H510

I got a 5600x and the MSI coreliquid cooler, its getting worse now, thought it was the dust, but even after cleaning the cpu reaches 90C, but after i exit the game the temps drop down to 40s to 50s, not sure whats going on. have you found a fix yet?

0 Likes