cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

waltc
Miniboss

Re: Boot speed is slower than Intel

My current AMD system takes ~10 seconds to cold boot from a 100% power-off condition.  Always has.  Hardware:

Windows10x64 v1903, build 18362.10005
19.8.2 Adrenalins
AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT
Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F5o (1003ABB AGESA)
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock & boost
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm S3
ST2000DM S3 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
BenQ EW-3270U 4k, HDR10 monitor

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

takes my 3900x around 10s to the windows login screen. if you have fast boot disabled it can take longer.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

Who said it was amds issue? but is amds architecture using an amd chipset, so that makes it an amd issue...  and yea, when I enable fast boot, my machine will not boot.

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

sorry but : "Who said it was amds issue?" => "so that makes it an amd issue"

you just did ....

is there a problem you don't have with amd ?

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I want amd to admit they false advertised base and boost frequencies..

Amd systems are always so problematic, reminds me of their constantly crashing gpu's..

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

what's the link with boot time ?

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

He wont attempt to prove his boot time sucks. He wont attempt to prove he cant enable fast boot. he wont attempt to prove his system crashes with fast boot. he wont accept the processors can do their listed speeds.

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

shinkojiro wrote:

takes my 3900x around 10s to the windows login screen. if you have fast boot disabled it can take longer.

I never use Fastboot--either in Windows or in a bios. (Fastboot has always been problematic--in the pre-NVMe days, it made some sense. I don't think it does any longer.)  Takes ~10 seconds to boot to Win10 desktop.  The speed is in the NVMe boot drive, imo, and the overall maturity and efficacy of the bios version--device drivers, etc.

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

brucer wrote:

I want amd to admit they false advertised base and boost frequencies..

Amd systems are always so problematic, reminds me of their constantly crashing gpu's..

Your post is amusing...;)  I've been using AMD cpus and gpus since 1999, and the GPUs almost never crash at all--and I've had several of them--the cpus have been delightful and money saving.    Think about what you said--no one would buy AMD if their products remotely resembled what you've said about them, and AMD would have expired years ago.   But the company is alive and well and kicking Intel's rear-end all over the place precisely because its products are the opposite of what you have claimed here.  Anyone who says "AMD systems are problemtatic" either is an Intel employee or else has no clue....too funny, guy....;)  BTW, my 3600X product box says "Max boost" 4.4GHz;  note the meaning of the word "Max," and note that it doesn't say "Guaranteed boost," does it?  BTW, I've actually seen 4.4GHz single-core boost at times as recorded by 3dMark and other such benchmarks.  (BTW, Intel's boost works *exactly* the same way!)  Your idea that we'd all be better off buying Intel's buggy, old architectures--the ones Intel has been milking for years while AMD just leapfrogged them again with a new architecture manufactured under a brand new process node --the Intel CPUs with more bios patches and Windows software microcode patches for more vulnerabilities than I've got fingers--is also very amusing...;)  Sad thing is that if not for AMD, wonder when if ever Intel would have finally shipped something new?

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have an MSI X570 but it does not like my R5 2400G, I paid $179 for this CPU and I do not want to buy another one. I have not even had this one a year yet.

0 Likes