Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Speedee39
Adept I

Boot kit - slow communication

Hello!

I purchased an ASUS Prime X570-P motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 5600X processor. I expected that I would need to update the BIOS before the processor would work, but unfortunately there is no option for USB BIOS Flashback or anything like that.

On Feb. 18, I requested a BIOS boot kit and sent in the relevant pictures and information, but I have not heard back since then, despite a request for an update.

I have searched the forums and it seems that there is an obvious lack of communication regarding boot kit warranty status/updates. There are many posts showing frustration for the lack of communication, and now I feel the same way.

Right now, I only want to know the status of my service request. Can a moderator assist? The SR is 8201060672. 

Side note: AMD needs a customer support portal to log in to and track and update tickets. The way it stands now with only emails is just not customer-friendly.

0 Likes
1 Solution

This will be the last update (hopefully) of this saga. I received the bootkit yesterday. I would have had it a day earlier but we missed the delivery guy. I used the CPU they sent to update the BIOS successfully (BIOS file saved to a flash drive), and my Ryzen 5 5600X worked just fine after that. Will send back the bootkit tomorrow.

The lesson I've learned is, always get the motherboard with the ability to flash the BIOS even if it won't boot.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

If you purchased your Asus Motherboard after 09/2020 the Ryzen 5600X should work out of the box with the correct BIOS version installed unless your Motherboard was manufactured before 08/2020.

According to Asus Support you need BIOS version 2606 for the 5600X to be supported: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_CPU/

Screenshot 2021-02-21 213911.png

According to Asus Download BIOS page BIOS version 2606 came out on 08/17/2020. So if you recently purchased the Motherboard and it was manufactured on or after 09/2020 it should have the correct BIOS for the motherboard to recognize and support the new processor.

Look at your Motherboard's CPU Socket. There should be a small thin White label with possibly two lines of data or script. On the second line at the end should show a four digit number. This is the BIOS version installed on your motherboard. If it show 2606 or higher you have the correct BIOS and your new processor should work out of the box.

0 Likes

Elstaci,

Thank you for that reply! 

I did purchase the motherboard after Sept. 2020 (in fact, ordered it less than a month ago). But I have already attempted to boot the computer, and it doesn't POST and there are no beep codes. Because of that behavior, I assumed that the BIOS did not support the CPU.

I checked around the socket for the white text but didn't find any directly next to it. However, I did find a sticker parallel to a RAM slot that had "697695-03192-MB11N0-B15  1407" written on it. If this is the same text you referenced, then "1407" is the BIOS version. Unfortunately, that version is from April 2020, and therefore it does not support the CPU.

But thank you for letting me know about the text. I didn't realize it was there. 

0 Likes

Contact Asus and see if they can flash it for you. That would be faster than AMD doing anything if they can. If all else fails, return to vendor and buy one that you know was made after that date or a different board altogether. You could borrow a friend's 3000 series to flash it or even BestBuy might be able to or a local PC shop for a small fee.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Mack,

Thanks for the reply! I ordered the motherboard from Newegg. I may see if they'll accept a return, but what a pain it will be. 

0 Likes

Yep "1407" is the BIOS version that came with your Motherboard.

As mentioned by @mackbolan777 , if you can borrow another processor that is compatible with that BIOS version I would go that route. It will be faster than waiting for a Boot kit from AMD.

Or take it to a computer shop and have them upgrade the BIOS to the correct version or latest version.

Best Buy is quite expensive. I believe, at least here where I live, they charge a nominal fee of $100.00 just to take a look at your computer.

Or you can return your motherboard and see if the Retailer or Asus will exchange it for a later newer manufactured motherboard

If you start a "Chat" Support session with Asus ask them when your Motherboard's Warranty expires since it is almost a year old and see if they will exchange your motherboard or flash your BIOS under Warranty.

IF all else fails then try to get a BOOT KIT from AMD to flash your motherboard.

NOTE: One of the main reasons I purchased the Asus Motherboard that I have when I upgraded from a AM3+ to AM4 Motherboard was that the motherboard had the FLASH BIOS feature button in the rear. I can flash the BIOS without a CPU. just need to turn on power and a USB Flash drive and that is all it needs to flash the BIOS on my motherboard.

Elstaci,

Thanks for the info. I'll admit that I should have done a bit more research about BIOS updates, but I never expected a scenario when I would need the BIOS update button functionality. I wish I had it now!

I will ask coworkers if they have any AMD processors. I've already started the boot kit process, so it wouldn't hurt to check with them in the interim. 

The motherboard's warranty started this month, not about a year ago. I imagine my motherboard simply sat on the distributor's shelf for a while before I bought it. 

Speedee39
Adept I

Writing this to basically update this like a journal of this experience. 

So I started the warranty process on Feb. 19, and I received a reply yesterday (four days later) that the boot kit request was approved. I did receive one reply back in between those dates that the request was still being processed, but I only received that because I asked. Otherwise, no status update was forthcoming. 

Overall, I'm glad the boot kit was approved, but the process could use some improvements. 

Thank you elstaci and mack for your suggestions! Next time I'll save myself a lot of headache and choose a motherboard with the BIOS Flashback option. 

This will be the last update (hopefully) of this saga. I received the bootkit yesterday. I would have had it a day earlier but we missed the delivery guy. I used the CPU they sent to update the BIOS successfully (BIOS file saved to a flash drive), and my Ryzen 5 5600X worked just fine after that. Will send back the bootkit tomorrow.

The lesson I've learned is, always get the motherboard with the ability to flash the BIOS even if it won't boot.  

0 Likes