cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Board wont boot with 2 sticks of ram (not working dual channel)

Jump to solution

Hi. We know that Ryzen 3xxx series has many problems on MSI boards until today. My problem is 100% related to nothing but RAM incompatibility, which means something is probably wrong with the bios and memory controller. On ryzen 2700x the same memorie sticks are working perfectly in dual channel. On Ryzen 3600 they work in slots 1 and 2 (counting from the CPU), but inserting RAM into another slots like 2 and 4 (for dual channel operation) causes 3 long beeps - that is, a problem with RAM. Please ask me, I will provide more information. I think I am not the first to have this problem and the new Ryzen have a big memory compability problem. It works fine in single channel - but performance is terrible.

I have MSI B450 A pro with newest bios (30/08/2019)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Board wont boot with 2 sticks of ram (not working dual channel)

Jump to solution

Ok i tried these RAM on MSI X570 A-Pro and they work on newer board.

MSI must resolve bios problem on B450.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Just because the RAM Memory is compatible with the Ryzen 2700x doesn't mean it will be compatible with the 3rd generation CPUs.

Here is the QVL list for 3rd generation CPUs for your Motherboard's RAM MEMORY compatibility QVL List: Support For B450-A PRO | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global (Matisse)

Here is the QVL List for 2nd generation CPUs for your motherboard's RAM MEMORY compatibility QVL List: Support For B450-A PRO | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global (Pinnacle Ridge)

If your memory is listed on both lists as being compatible then I would suggest you open an MSI Support ticket and see what they recommend.

EDIT: The proper way to install your RAM MEMORY according to your MSI Manual:

korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Okay. This is true for 2 and 4 slots to be working dual channel and 2700x is working perfect with them.

My ram is Crucial BLS8G4D30AESCK.M8FE

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT white 3000Mhz CL15.

Very popular modules.

If they're not compatible then what we can do?

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

According to your Motherboard's QVL list for the 3xxx CPUs there is only one listing for Crucial RAM MEMORY:

I couldn't locate your RAM MEMORY part number in the 2xxx but the QVL List had many Crucial RAM MEMORY modules listed as being compatible.

These are all the 2xxx RAM Modules that start with BLS8G4D from the QVL List.

There are two reasons why your RAM Memory may not be listed:

1) MSI tested the RAM Memory and found it not to be 100% compatible thus not listed

2) MSI didn't test the RAM Memory thus it is not listed.

But just seeing the QVL List for your motherboard for the 3xxx CPUs and it shows only one entry for Crucial seems to indicate your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard for the Ryzen 3600 processor but is compatible with your previous Rzyen 2700x which shows a big list of Crucial RAM Memory to be compatible.

I would highly suggest you open a MSI Support ticket and also with Crucial Support and see what they both say about the RAM you have installed. Whether you need to upgrade the RAM Memory for the 3600 processor for Dual Channel to work.

korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I wrote to MSI and Crucial offline support.

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

can you let me know what they recommend you do?

For future reference. Thanks

0 Kudos
korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Of course. We will see if they want to change something (like in the BIOS maybe) and help us, customers.

brucer
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

so it will post to bios? 

If so are you enabling the xmp profile, and selecting 3000mhz?

adding...  the board might not be changing the dram voltage and trying to boot the 3000mhz memory using 1.2v which wont fly and you'll get memory error.....  If you can get into the bios, even with one stick installed, try changing the dram voltage to 1.35v..  If you select xmp profile and select 3000mhz, it should pick up the correct voltage setting..

Id try booting with one stick in a2 or b2, get into the bios, select the xmp profile/3000mhz, make sure the dram voltage is at 1.35v then boot into windows, shut back down, stick the other stick in a2 or b2, whichever slot you didnt use for the first stick, and try booting back up..

0 Kudos
korzychxp
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

No. Computer has no response (black screen) and only 3 beeps from motherboard i hear.

At now i see that this is problem with B1 (3) and B2 (4) channel on motherboard. Even one stick of ram placed in that slots are resulting in black screen and 3 beeps.

Memories are working only in slots 1+2 and these are channel A1 and channel A2.

Of course i tried settings timings and voltages manually. That didn't help.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Seems to possibly indicate a defective Motherboard DIMM Slots.

0 Kudos