cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

korzychxp
Adept II

Board wont boot with 2 sticks of ram (not working dual channel)

Hi. We know that Ryzen 3xxx series has many problems on MSI boards until today. My problem is 100% related to nothing but RAM incompatibility, which means something is probably wrong with the bios and memory controller. On ryzen 2700x the same memorie sticks are working perfectly in dual channel. On Ryzen 3600 they work in slots 1 and 2 (counting from the CPU), but inserting RAM into another slots like 2 and 4 (for dual channel operation) causes 3 long beeps - that is, a problem with RAM. Please ask me, I will provide more information. I think I am not the first to have this problem and the new Ryzen have a big memory compability problem. It works fine in single channel - but performance is terrible.

I have MSI B450 A pro with newest bios (30/08/2019)

0 Likes
1 Solution
korzychxp
Adept II

Ok i tried these RAM on MSI X570 A-Pro and they work on newer board.

MSI must resolve bios problem on B450.

View solution in original post

37 Replies

Just because the RAM Memory is compatible with the Ryzen 2700x doesn't mean it will be compatible with the 3rd generation CPUs.

Here is the QVL list for 3rd generation CPUs for your Motherboard's RAM MEMORY compatibility QVL List: Support For B450-A PRO | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global (Matisse)

Here is the QVL List for 2nd generation CPUs for your motherboard's RAM MEMORY compatibility QVL List: Support For B450-A PRO | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global (Pinnacle Ridge)

If your memory is listed on both lists as being compatible then I would suggest you open an MSI Support ticket and see what they recommend.

EDIT: The proper way to install your RAM MEMORY according to your MSI Manual:

Okay. This is true for 2 and 4 slots to be working dual channel and 2700x is working perfect with them.

My ram is Crucial BLS8G4D30AESCK.M8FE

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT white 3000Mhz CL15.

Very popular modules.

If they're not compatible then what we can do?

0 Likes

According to your Motherboard's QVL list for the 3xxx CPUs there is only one listing for Crucial RAM MEMORY:

I couldn't locate your RAM MEMORY part number in the 2xxx but the QVL List had many Crucial RAM MEMORY modules listed as being compatible.

These are all the 2xxx RAM Modules that start with BLS8G4D from the QVL List.

There are two reasons why your RAM Memory may not be listed:

1) MSI tested the RAM Memory and found it not to be 100% compatible thus not listed

2) MSI didn't test the RAM Memory thus it is not listed.

But just seeing the QVL List for your motherboard for the 3xxx CPUs and it shows only one entry for Crucial seems to indicate your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard for the Ryzen 3600 processor but is compatible with your previous Rzyen 2700x which shows a big list of Crucial RAM Memory to be compatible.

I would highly suggest you open a MSI Support ticket and also with Crucial Support and see what they both say about the RAM you have installed. Whether you need to upgrade the RAM Memory for the 3600 processor for Dual Channel to work.

korzychxp
Adept II

I wrote to MSI and Crucial offline support.

can you let me know what they recommend you do?

For future reference. Thanks

0 Likes

Of course. We will see if they want to change something (like in the BIOS maybe) and help us, customers.

brucer
Forerunner

so it will post to bios? 

If so are you enabling the xmp profile, and selecting 3000mhz?

adding...  the board might not be changing the dram voltage and trying to boot the 3000mhz memory using 1.2v which wont fly and you'll get memory error.....  If you can get into the bios, even with one stick installed, try changing the dram voltage to 1.35v..  If you select xmp profile and select 3000mhz, it should pick up the correct voltage setting..

Id try booting with one stick in a2 or b2, get into the bios, select the xmp profile/3000mhz, make sure the dram voltage is at 1.35v then boot into windows, shut back down, stick the other stick in a2 or b2, whichever slot you didnt use for the first stick, and try booting back up..

0 Likes
korzychxp
Adept II

No. Computer has no response (black screen) and only 3 beeps from motherboard i hear.

At now i see that this is problem with B1 (3) and B2 (4) channel on motherboard. Even one stick of ram placed in that slots are resulting in black screen and 3 beeps.

Memories are working only in slots 1+2 and these are channel A1 and channel A2.

Of course i tried settings timings and voltages manually. That didn't help.

0 Likes

Seems to possibly indicate a defective Motherboard DIMM Slots.

0 Likes
korzychxp
Adept II

On Ryzen 2700X they're working.

0 Likes

Okay that shoots that down. I forgot that you mentioned that before. Thanks.

What did MSI Support say then?  Obviously is has something to do with the 3xxx CPU and motherboard and your RAM Memory.

Any way of installing a different RAM Stick in those slots and see if it works? Non-Crucial RAM preferably.

0 Likes
korzychxp
Adept II

MSI wrote that i must clear cmos... noob answer.

and we're waiting for further replies.

korzychxp
Adept II

Ok i tried these RAM on MSI X570 A-Pro and they work on newer board.

MSI must resolve bios problem on B450.

samuel_pismel
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same problem, but I am using the MSI X570 A-Pro...

I've tested two ram kits, and both work if only one stick is plugged, but does not work if two are plugged. (following the place instructions of the manual).

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard: MSI X570 A-Pro
Memory kit 1 (not listed as compatible in MSI  mobo site): XPG SPECTRIX D60G RGB, 16GB (2X8GB) 3200MHZ, (AX4U320038G16-DT60)
Memory kit 2 (listed as compatible  in MSI  mobo site)G.SKILL RIPJAWS V, 16GB (2X8GB) 3600MHZ (F4-3600C17D-16GVK)

This is so sad... I'm working with 8gb only...

0 Likes
rudypies
Journeyman III

Looks like I'm hit with the same bug, just put up together:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) - listed as compatible

Any one of the two 16GB modules work fine in A2 slot

They both work fine if installed in A1-A2 slots / single channel (except for the warning message that the position is not optimized)

The PC won't start if they are installed properly, so, in slots A2-B2

CMOS cleared, latest BIOS installed, still no luck...

korzychxp
Adept II

My ram boots up in dual channel only if set them manually in bios - overclocked and with many manual voltage options ;/

0 Likes

Did MSI suggest something that you implemented to get it running?

0 Likes

No : ) i set it myself.

Can you please tell me how you set this up, I also can not get it to boot with two sticks

0 Likes
scsi
Adept I

Same issue here: Asus X470-PRIME PRO

Ryzen 5 3600

Crucial BLS16G4D32AESB Ballistix Sport

Ram slot 1 and 2 are not working with the Ryzen 5 3600, but are working with the 200G that AMD sent me for updating the BIOS..

Beats me..

korzychxp
Adept II

You must write to your board Support to check these RAM

0 Likes

The sticks are on the QVL list of Asus, so that should be fine. Will try to boot in 2133Mhz tomorrow morning and see if that helps.

0 Likes

Just for your information only. But here are MSI BEEP Codes from this previous Thread at a tech site:

0 Likes
mzwizard
Journeyman III

Same issue here: Asus X370-PRIME PRO, bios 5220, Ryzen 5 3600.

Ram (2x8GB Corsair LPX) worked fine in dual channel with R5 1600X, but with the new R5 3600, my two sticks only work in slot A1 and A2, either one at a time or both. Nothing will boot from B1 or B2.

My details:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4398.97 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR 

0 Likes

For me, it was a faulty Ryzen 5 CPU. Motherboard and RAM worked fine (had it pass memtest 4 runs without issues with the Athlon 200G)

I'd suggest you write to AMD and fill in the RMA procedure. They are very responsive and very helpful.

They helped me swap my CPU in one day (on the 30/12 or 31/12) - nothing but support for their RMA department.

0 Likes

same issue here with the R5 1600 and a 2x8GB kit of G.SKILL Flare X F4-2400C16D-16GFX, boots with one stick, yet not with both (unstable, plus goes into single channel mode) on my B450M PRO4 from AsRock

0 Likes

nightshade231_ wrote:

same issue here with the R5 1600 and a 2x8GB kit of G.SKILL Flare X F4-2400C16D-16GFX, boots with one stick, yet not with both (unstable, plus goes into single channel mode) on my B450M PRO4 from AsRock

I presume you have the latest BIOS installed

0 Likes

Aorus X570 Elite...same problem. It's not the CPU (Ryzen 5 3500X and Ryzen 5 4600). I've contacted Gigabyte, but haven't gotten a response yet. 

I've tried two different brands of memory and it's the same with both. Post with a single stick, no matter what slot I use, but nothing on two sticks, except when using A1 A2 - it will post to the Aorus Splash and then freeze up.

0 Likes

My R5 3600 runs my RAM as expected at DDR4-3200 speed which is the fastest that the CPU can handle without spinning my wheels. 

The CPU logic works at its best with the RAM I have. G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200.

0 Likes
df
Journeyman III

Hi, would like to join this thread as it has multiple common symptoms as my system does.

Brand new system, specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MB: ASRock B550M Steel Legend
RAM: 2x16 Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 (BL2K16G36C16U4B) + one stick for testing: HX426C16FB3/4 (4GB HyperX)
GPU: Asus GTX950-OC-2GD5
SSD: Samsung 980 PRO

At the beginning I was able to only boot on single channel (single stick or A1+A2 or B1+B2). After like milion tries while swapping sticks I somehow did manage to boot into BIOS, but it crashed. Then I even booted to W10, but crashed after 3min.
Contacted ASRock, got generic tips to try - which are good at the beginning - but when it did not work after second answer they directed me to discuss it with seller.

So I discussed it with internet. Tried reseating the CPU, but used different cooler after reseating. Now I was not able to boot if there was any stick in B1 or B2 slot at all. Tried all three stick separately in every slot.

At this point I was ready to RMA the board and probably also CPU, but did some more search and found a reddit where someone had same issue and solved it by loosening the cooler a bit. I thought what a nonsense that was, but why not try it?

So I took the original cooler from CPU box, screwed it in on only like 1-2 turns and it booted ok. Put back the M.2 with OS and booted ok too, CPUZ confirmed the dual-channel. Ran prime95 ramtest, crashed after 3h, but that could easily be by 70C overheat (bad case airflow with stock cooler). Realised that prime95 RAM test does not really test much of this amount of memory and downloaded memtest86. Now finishing second pass without any error.

Can someone explain how is this possible? I can't believe the board would be this fragile especially with original backplate.

0 Likes
df
Journeyman III

So, to follow up my previous post from 7 weeks ago... When I changed to single-channel once more and back to dual-channel to benchmark memory speeds in OS it turned out to be unstable on memtest again, so I RMA'd that mobo.

New board finally came back so I was excited to try it out and... no boot. And I mean NO BOOT, no matter which memory stick in which slot, NOTHING. CPU and DRAM diag LEDs just turns on and nothing else happens.

Luckily my colleague has his PC build in progress so I was able to swap parts in between. He has R5 3600 too, some MSI board with B550 chipset and 4x 8GB Kingston sticks.

Turns out my CPU with my RAM sticks works in his mobo straight away in dual-channel, no problem. His components, tested earlier to be working in his board, does not work in my board at all.

So yeah, two new mobos not working, nice job. I wonder where did the seller get them from or where did they keep 'em...

0 Likes
sfergo
Journeyman III

I have had this problem since 06/2020 of no POST when DIMMB1/B2 slots filled 

MSI X570-A PRO  (was RMA'd to retailer who "could not replicate fault")

on latest BIOS

Was on 3600x & now with a 5600x - both fail to post when any RAM is in DIMMB1/B2 - even after XMP enabled in bios

This happened with RAM not on QVL list (thermaltake toughram Z-ONE 2x8GB R010D408GX2-3600C18A) and RAM on QVL list for mobo and CPU (G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB)

I have loosened the cooler brackets, tried stock cooler and nothing.

Any other ideas? cant be IMC if happens on both CPUs.  RMA mobo again?

try other PSU?  (Antec NEO Eco gold ZEN 600w)

0 Likes

Have you tested each memory strip - individually? Boot up with 1 strip and run memtest86. Remove the first strip. Boot up with a new strip and run memtest86. And, so on. With this method, I isolated (and returned) a bad strip of memory over a year ago. If you have access to a beefier power supply, try that after running memtest86 on each strip.

Ryzen 5 Pro 4650g, ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz, SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
0 Likes

thanks for your suggestion, I have tested each memory stick individually and tested with memtestpro.  pc will not post with any RAM in either of the two DIMM slots furthest  from CPU.  

Will try with a new PSU when I can, cheers

0 Likes

Put the vga card in the secundary slot, after I could put even 4 sticks in.

0 Likes
df
Journeyman III

I realised I didn't exactly write how I solved the issue. The second RMA took more than 30 days and shop did not communicate that with me at all, so I refused new mobo and got moneyback (check your local law for such option).

Then I bought Giabyte Aorus B550 Pro AX from different shop and that works without any issues for 2-3 years now.

0 Likes
sfergo
Journeyman III

thanks for the reply, mine turned out to be a faulty motherboard

0 Likes