cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

denislayev
Adept I

Black screen on boot

Hello so I'm very new to pc building, and I have just built my first pc with Ryzen 5 4500, it boots up but all I see is a black screen. I connected everything right, monitor to the GPU and stuff

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 4500 

Motherboard: MSI a520m PRO-VH

GPU: Palit Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 

Memory: G skill aegis 2x8 gb 3200mhz

0 Likes
12 Replies

When you start booting up without any video output is the HDD/SSD LED still flashing or on steady indicating that it is booting into Windows?

If it is, wait until Windows starts to load, and see if you have video output or not.

NOTE: Some GPU cards do not have video outputs during POST until Windows starts loading or you have BIOS set to CSM Mode (Legacy Mode).

Make sure you have your Monitor cables connected to your GPU card and not to the Motherboard's video output ports and the Monitor is set to connect to the PC under Monitor Settings.

If the PC doesn't start booting into Windows by the PC HDD LED light then you need to see what Trouble LED is lit on the Motherboard or Digital Trouble Code or install a PC Speaker to hear the Beep codes to determine at what stage the Boot process failed.

0 Likes

Its running for like 20mins now, still no output. Everything seems to be right

I also tried to plug my speakers in, but I don't hear anything coming out of them

0 Likes

Does you Motherboard have any Trouble LEDs on it?  Yes according to your Mobo Manual:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

Regular speakers I don't believe will work. You need to connect a PC Case Speaker to the same connection where you connect the PC case's HDD/SSD LED, Power, and Restart switches. They cost anywhere from a couple of dollars and above.

NOTE: You don't need to install A PC Case Speaker since your motherboard has Trouble LEDs installed. Only if you want to as a second method to know when the PC is not booting up.

Remove you side PC Panel and power up your PC. Do you see any of the 4 Trouble LED lit up after powering up from the above image I posted?

If your PC seems to be booting up into Windows and you don't have any video Outputs than it is something else wrong.

That was the reason for all of the above troubleshooting steps. Just to verify your computer is booting up and loading Windows.

I would do a CLEAR CMOS on your Motherboard to reset BIOS back to default settings and see if that works or not.

Do you have the GPU's PCIe Power connector connected to the GPU card from the PSU? According to Palit it is a 6 Pin Power connector. If this isn't connected your GPU card won't work.

Are all the GPU's fans and Power LEDs lit up when you boot up?

Best way to check your GPU card is by installing it on another compatible computer and see if you get video output. If you do that indicates something is wrong with your PC or possibly BIOS settings.

Could also be your Monitor cable being defective. Are you using some type of Adapter HDMI>VGA or DP>HDMI as an example.  I notice on your Motherboard Video Outputs you only have HDMI and VGA.

What type of Monitor cable are your using to connect your Monitor to your GPU card?  Is it a HDMI or DP cable?

Since you can't enter BIOS then you can't change anything inside BIOS settings until you get Video Output.

1-Check to see if you have BIOS version 7C96vA5 or newer installed. That is the version that supports your CPU on your Motherboard. But if the PC is booting up into Windows then you have a compatible BIOS installed.

2-Check to make sure the PC is booting up and not stopped at POST (Using the Trouble LEDs from your Motherboard.) No need to install a PC Case Speaker since you have Trouble LEDs installed.

3- Do a CLEAR CMOS on your computer.

4-Verify that your PC is booting into Windows Desktop

5-Check your GPU power cable connections

6-Check your Monitor cables and Monitor Settings or Adapter if using one.

7-Install in another computer to see if you get video outputs.

7-Make sure you have a 400 Watt PSU or higher installed.

8- Open a Palit Support ticket and see what they suggest.

Sorry for the long reply. But there can be many reasons for the GPU not to have any video output unless you give more details on the issue in your original reply.

Only CPU LED lights up on my motherboard. Its white

Yes, I do have 6pin connected to my GPU

Everything seem to light up when I turn on my PC, including all the fans, power indicator etc.

Im using HDMI cable to connect my monitor to the GPU

I dont know my BIOS version, but maybe date when my board was made will help, its 22.06

I tried to clear cmos by removing the battery, but it didnt help

I dont really think my pc is booting into windows since i am using a new ssd

Both monitor and GPU are fully connected

My PSU is 500W

I will try to open a support ticket on Palit's website

I hope that I answered to all of your questions.

0 Likes

Yes Thank you for the update.

The most important information you gave me is that the CPU Trouble LED light is lit up. That means either you don't have the correct BIOS version installed, You don't have the Aux 4 pin Motherboard cable connected or your AMD Ryzen 5 4500 isn't support by your motherboard.

This is the Specs for your Motherboard from MSI:

From MSI Support show the CPU Support List for your motherboard:Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

So your Motherboard CPU Support list does show the R5 4500 as being compatible.

The problem you are having is that BIOS is failing  the boot process with your CPU. Your CPU is not passing the POST test.  So your PC is not booting up at all.

Remove all hardware that is connected to the motherboard (GPU, Monitor, PCIe cards, USB,etc) except your PSU & CPU.

Keeping the side panel off power up the PC.  If the CPU Trouble LED (White) goes off and the DRAM Trouble LED lights up that means the CPU passed the POST Test and didn't find any RAM or defective RAM installed.

Now install just one RAM Stick and see if both the CPU and DRAM Trouble LEDs goes off and the GPU Trouble LED lights up and so forth.

This will indicate if you have an issue with your CPU or RAM or something else. 

If the CPU Trouble LED stays on and doesn't turn off they you either have :

1- Wrong BIOS Version installed that makes your CPU incompatible.

NOTE: According MSI BIOS Download page for your Motherboard your CPU should work out of the box if your MSI Motherboard was manufactured on 06/2022:

But if the MSI Motherboard was manufactured before 11/2021 it is a very good chance it has the wrong BIOS version installed. MSI doesn't show what BIOS Version is installed on the Motherboard. Unless you ask MSI Support. They will tell you by the Serial Number.

2-Bad Motherboard

3-Bad CPU

4-Possibly bad RAM

Once you do the above post back your results.

I think he is right, but just in case, I would try connecting monitor cable to motherboard too and try different ports in GPU.

Some times reason is something weird like one or some of those little cables going to power and reset switch and power and HDD leds are installed incorrectly. Also I would double and tripple check every cable from PSU to motherboard and make sure you did connect CPU powercable too. Also you did use only the cables that came with PSU and no others as PSU cables are not compatible from one PSU to another. I have also encountered a broken power switch preventing power up (or was it reset, can't recall). Also did you check that that shiny I/O-metal plate is installed properly and it's tiny grounding pins do not go inside motherboards connectors in the back and short them?

You could just unplug other small cables except power switch, check it is connected properly, check you have cpu power cable installed properly both to psu and motherboard, check you have memory sticks properly installed and could remove one of them for testing. Try another monitor cable and make sure you have selected the correct input port from monitor so if you have cable in hdmi, it is looking for signal in dp port or something like that.

The OP mentions that the CPU Trouble LED is lit up. That means the PC stopped booting up when the CPU didn't pass the BIOS test.

The PC won't boot up with the CPU Trouble LED lit up as far as I am aware. I might be wrong with the latest Motherboards.

Once all all the Mobo Trouble LEDs lights up and turns off as it passes the BIOS test it will then boot up into Windows. But I believe the GPU Trouble LED may be lit up and still boot into Windows. It is just indicating that BIOS has found some issue with the GPU hardware or connections.

It does boot up, but I get no output

Also I've noticed that CPU power connector isnt going all the way in. Might this be the issue?

Very much so...

*edited*

"The PC won't boot up with the CPU Trouble LED lit up as far as I am aware."

Would be strange if did. The thing is, I wish error code *displays* were more common. When I clocked and had super tight timings, PC randomly did not boot and I got CPU light, but the fix was always to clear cmos and loosen memory timing. I did try dropping CPU speed, but didn't help. So I am not so convinced the system always realizes where the problem is even though it likely crashed when testing CPU or something like that.

I believe the OP might be mistaken as to the Trouble LED that is lit. On my Asus Motherboard I believe the White LED is for the GPU. So the PC will boot into Windows with a GPU Trouble LED lit. But not with a CPU Trouble LED. If the CPU BIOS Test fails it simply stops booting up until it is fixed.

But it might be different on other motherboards.

Yeah, RAM can cause the CPU Trouble LED to light up.

EDIT: This tech site explains the MSI Trouble LED and what they mean and when they are lit: https://www.cgdirector.com/msi-ez-debug-leds-troubleshooting/

0 Likes
pekkape01
Journeyman III

This might be the solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2xEUXWeqs

I have the same issue with my Ryzen 5 4600 and will test this tomorrow. 

0 Likes