cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

beornotns
Adept I

BIOS Update required?

I am upgrading from the Ryzen 5 2600 to the Ryzen 7 3700X (MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo), do I need to do a BIOS update before I install the new CPU?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The BIOS version you need for your Motherboard to recognize and boot up (Support For B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global ) with the Ryzen 7 3700X is BIOS version 7C02v18.zip or newer.

The BIOS version you need for the Ryzen 5 2600 is BIOS Version 7C02v10.zip or newer.

So you need to go into your BIOS and find out which BIOS version your motherboard has installed. If it is BIOS version 7C02v18.zip or newer you are good to go.

The latest MSI BIOS Version for your Motherboard is 7C02v1E.zip.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Go to MSI's Website and check...

The BIOS version you need for your Motherboard to recognize and boot up (Support For B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global ) with the Ryzen 7 3700X is BIOS version 7C02v18.zip or newer.

The BIOS version you need for the Ryzen 5 2600 is BIOS Version 7C02v10.zip or newer.

So you need to go into your BIOS and find out which BIOS version your motherboard has installed. If it is BIOS version 7C02v18.zip or newer you are good to go.

The latest MSI BIOS Version for your Motherboard is 7C02v1E.zip.

elstaci‌ 

If I just skip to the latest MSI BIOS (the 7C02v1E.zip) will that work?  Or do I need to install the 7C02v18 FIRST and then the most recent?

Marc

0 Likes

beornotns wrote:

elstaci 

If I just skip to the latest MSI BIOS (the 7C02v1E.zip) will that work?  Or do I need to install the 7C02v18 FIRST and then the most recent?

Marc

You install the latest on immediately. All BIOS updates are 100% there is no partial updates.

On some motherboards when you upgrade the BIOS it has special instructions on the far right column or in the BIOS version itself where you download the BIOS. Make sure there are no special instructions before upgrading to the latest BIOS Version.

Looking at the BIOS version for your 3700X processor it indicates this warning:

Note
1.This BIOS does not support below Bristol Ridge CPU due to BIOS rom size limitation:
Athlon x4 970/950/940, A12-9800/9800E, A10-9700/9700E, A8-9600, A6-9550/9500/9500E
2.RAID function is not yet ready and will be supported in next BIOS version.
0 Likes

No RAID function for the present, eh?...  Well I guess I better make sure either all information I have I manually save in more than one location or it wasn't that important in the first place...

Alrighty, off to get a clean USB drive.  I am fortunate that the B450 Tomahawk motherboard has BIOS Flashback...

0 Likes

That was from the older BIOS version v18 for your processor. So most likely the latest BIOS version probably supports RAID by now.

I just posted that as an example of what type of warnings the OEM may impose BEFORE updating to another newer BIOS version.

In the next BIOS version v19 that supports your 3700X, the RAID is fixed. So that latest does support RAID:

BIOS updated.  All is well.  Thanks all for the valuable input!  Much obliged!

~M