cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RWW53
Adept I

BIOS to run AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 3.6 GHz Hexa-Core (100100000031BOX)

Hi, I want to upgrade my CPU from AMD Ryzen 3 3200G to a Ryzen 5 3600- 33.6 Hexa-Core, My motherboard is a AS Rock A320M-HDV R4.0 and the BIOS now is P4.00.

Do I need to update the BIOS to run the the Ryzen 5 CPU?

Never done anything like this before but have to start at some point.

Thank You

Russ.

RWW53

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure you did have a separate GPU card since you were using a APU Processor with Integrated Graphics before.

I imagine you probably checked with those professional type software for the "Recommended" GPUs and CPUs.

But in my opinion the GPU card you have is suitable for your purposes unless one of those programs in a future upgrade will make your GPU card incompatible with some newer features.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

According to ASRock CPU SUPPORT LIST for your Motherboard you will need to have BIOS Version P2.30 or newer installed: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv%20r4.0/index.asp#CPU

Screenshot 2022-05-03 084106.png

Here are all the BIOS version from P2.30 and newer to install. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW ASROCK BIOS INSTRUCTIONS IN YELLOW AND BLUE BEFORE UPDATING YOUR BIOS VERISON IF OLDER THAN P2.30.Screenshot 2022-05-03 084106.pngEDIT: You will need to have a separate GPU Card with the Ryzen 5 3600 Processor

0 Likes

Hi, many thanks for the reply, is it the P4.00 that is the bios version and if so is that higher than the P2.30?

Please see image for reference as from what I am reading the P4.00 is high enough to run the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 3.6 GHz Hexa-Core (100100000031BOX) I want to install?

Thankyou.

Bios_2.jpg 

0 Likes

Yes, your BIOS version is a much newer one than the P2.30 (07/01/2019).

According to the BIOS page image I posted P4.00 came out 07/29/2020 so your new R5 3600 is supported and should boot up with that BIOS version on your motherboard.

After installing the new processor make sure you do a CLEAR CMOS so the new BIOS will reset BIOS to the new processor. Afterwards you can start changing settings in BIOS for your new processor if want.

NOTE: What GPU card do you have installed or are using currently?

0 Likes

Hi, have a  Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 TI

I was going to upgrade to a  GTX 1660 Ti or  RTX 3500 but someone suggested that the CPU upgrade would be a better option.

I don't play any games it is only for editing images in Lightroom, Topaz and On1 products.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure you did have a separate GPU card since you were using a APU Processor with Integrated Graphics before.

I imagine you probably checked with those professional type software for the "Recommended" GPUs and CPUs.

But in my opinion the GPU card you have is suitable for your purposes unless one of those programs in a future upgrade will make your GPU card incompatible with some newer features.

0 Likes

Many thanks for your help.