Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rglenn
Adept I

BIOS FLASH UPDATE SEQUENCE FOR 5000 SERIES

Hello Everyone!

After glancing/reading some of the posts or KBs, I decided to create this one that could be beneficial to most people.

When I am about to start my build, I've seen from known reviewer that.....jumping straight to the latest bios update version of the motherboard to support the AMD 5000 series may affect the CPU's performance, and maybe it should have been done in a series of updates in order.

Seeing some posts here in the community and forums about unusual behaviours of the 5000 series processors, could it also be related?

Now it has been 5 days that all of my components are still stuck in their respective boxes. 🤪 Still haven't heard, for almost a week now, from Asus nor AMD (2 days) yet in regard to my inquiry.

I recently purchased the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact mobo and Ryzen 9 5900x. This will be my first build, so I have to do bios flashback.

My mobo has a bios version 1001, as it is written on the board itself. I have these options in mind:

1) Start flashing only all the way all the updates one after the other, from version 1105 (performance updates for zen 1 and support for zen 2 and its updates) up to v2206 (Agesa update for post/boot 5000 series) and continue until the latest v3003 for improved performance.

2) Start right away flashing only all the way from v2206 (Agesa update for post/boot 5000 series) until the latest v3003.

3) Flash the latest bios update v3003 right away.

4) If ever I should do either 1 or 2, once I am done using update v2206 (for post/boot), should I better use EZ flash inside the UEFI for the succeeding updates until I am done with the latest version?

Anyone's thoughts about this?

0 Likes
7 Replies
ScotchFury
Challenger

I would be Suprised if AMD or Asus suggested flashing each iteration, one after another..

When the new version it completely replaces the preceding one.. There are some MBs with dual BIOS or recovery BIOS.. 

The good practice of doing is resetting to factory default & configuring again.. 

Never know.. be interesting to see if you hear anything back from them..?

I agree that newer version replaces the previous ones. But I am not sure if whatever fix or add-ons a certain version has, also contained in the next versions. I believe sometimes, latest version is like stand alone.

Well, I hope AMD or ASUS replies to this type of concern.

Thanks mate.

0 Likes

Good  question to ask.

Some Motherboard manufacturer's BIOS does require that you first upgrade the BIOS to an previous version first BEFORE upgrading to a newer version.

But looking at Asus Support BIOS upgrade page (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-impact-model/helpdesk_download/) and reading all the instructions from 1001 to 3101 it doesn't mention anything about first upgrading to a specific BIOS version first before upgrading to the latest version. All it does mention is to rename the BIOS you download to the correct BIOS name using the including program BIOSRenamer. 

So you should be able to upgrade from BIOS version 1001 to version 3101 as long as you rename the downloaded BIOS file using BIOSRenamer.

But to be on the safe side I would first upgrade from version 1001 to BIOS version 2311 which is the first BIOS version to support the Ryzen 9 5900X processor.

From your motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST:

Screenshot 2020-12-28 121633.png

If everything goes well with BIOS Version 2311 then you can decide to upgrade to version 3101.

Note: in case anything goes wrong I would have 2 USB sticks with different BIOS versions installed that supports the new processor.

Sometimes you need to do a CLEAR CMOS after upgrading the BIOS if you should encounter any issues.

@elstaci wrote:

Good  question to ask.

Some Motherboard manufacturer's BIOS does require that you first upgrade the BIOS to an previous version first BEFORE upgrading to a newer version.

But looking at Asus Support BIOS upgrade page (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-impact-model/helpdesk_download/) and reading all the instructions from 1001 to 3101 it doesn't mention anything about first upgrading to a specific BIOS version first before upgrading to the latest version. All it does mention is to rename the BIOS you download to the correct BIOS name using the including program BIOSRenamer. 

So you should be able to upgrade from BIOS version 1001 to version 3101 as long as you rename the downloaded BIOS file using BIOSRenamer.

But to be on the safe side I would first upgrade from version 1001 to BIOS version 2311 which is the first BIOS version to support the Ryzen 9 5900X processor.

From your motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST:

Screenshot 2020-12-28 121633.png

If everything goes well with BIOS Version 2311 then you can decide to upgrade to version 3101.

Note: in case anything goes wrong I would have 2 USB sticks with different BIOS versions installed that supports the new processor.

Sometimes you need to do a CLEAR CMOS after upgrading the BIOS if you should encounter any issues.

That is my dilemma on ASUS' firmware support page. They don't mention things like this. Anyhow, I will have to start somewhere and I think starting from agesa 1.0.8.0 version is the safe way to go, as you suggested.

Thanks a lot.

BIOS Version 2311 which supports the 5900X has AGESA version:

Version 2311
2020/10/20 19.94 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT BIOS 2311
"1. Updated AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 PatchB
2. Improve system performance and stability
3. Improved DRAM compatibility
4. Fixed keyboard device issue
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file(C8I.CAP)using BIOSRenamer."

BIOS Version 2206 which doesn't support the 5900X has the AGESA that you mentioned:

Version 2206
2020/08/17 19.08 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT BIOS 2206
"-Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.0
-Improve system performance.
-Improve system stability
-Improve M.2 storage compatibility
-Improve DRAM stability

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file(C8I.CAP)using BIOSRenamer."

I know that you probably made a typing mistake but thought I would mention it to make sure you update to the correct BIOS version 2311.

@elstaci wrote:

BIOS Version 2311 which supports the 5900X has AGESA version:

Version 2311
2020/10/20 19.94 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT BIOS 2311
"1. Updated AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 PatchB
2. Improve system performance and stability
3. Improved DRAM compatibility
4. Fixed keyboard device issue

BIOS Version 2206 which doesn't support the 5900X has the AGESA that you mentioned:

Version 2206
2020/08/17 19.08 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT BIOS 2206
"-Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.0
-Improve system performance.
-Improve system stability
-Improve M.2 storage compatibility
-Improve DRAM stability

I know that you probably made a typing mistake but thought I would mention it to make sure you update to the correct BIOS version 2311.

yes i did. thanks mate.

There is an official Asus ROG Facebook group, with someone from Asus to answer questions. Search for "ASUS PC DIY group". I believe it's the same Asus employee that posts on reddit, but he seldom replies on reddit, while he is very active in the Facebook group. You could try in there if you don't want to wait for the support replies you've made.

0 Likes