Best Ram Config for Ryzen 7 2700X

Best Ram Config for Ryzen 7 2700X

Want to buy a new processor and cpu

looking at Ryzen 2700X and Hero Vii motherboard

but totally confused at Ram config

do I go 16gb CL14 or 32 gb CL16

0 Likes
11 Replies

Depends on what you want to do. For gaming 16Gb is overkill and makes it totally future proof. 

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

As games become more and more threaded, the CPU bottlenecks are shifting from core clock to RAM speed.  Here is a test I ran on the Gears of War 4 benchmark several years ago.

RAM 3333.PNG

Gears 4 (a DX12 title) scales uniformly with RAM speed.  This implies that any CPU bottleneck is tied to the RAM speed, the CPU is waiting for new data to be loaded from RAM.  In this kind of bottleneck, overclocking the CPU itself would accomplish nothing. 

What is interesting, is the data from 32 GB of RAM.  With each channel populated with two RAM banks, a saw a 10% uplift in performance.  That performance gain was equal to going from 2666 MHz CL16 to 3200 MHz CL14 (also 10%).

The benefits of interleaving on a channel (dual rank stick or two DIMMs per channel) seem to outweigh one DIMM per channel sink rank configurations as long as you don't have to drop clock speed and timings substantially.  To that end, if the 32 GB CL16 setup you are looking at runs at a similar speed to the 16 GB CL14, you will likely see better performance with the 32 GB setup. 

Was looking at

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 or

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16 GB (8 GB x 2) Flare X Series DDR4 3200 MHz

so would say Corsair ?

0 Likes

You will likely get better performance out of the Corsair Dominator 32 GB set.  While you may not be able to run it at 3200 MHz, the benefits of rank interleaving will likely be a bit greater than the increased speed and tighter timings of the G. Skill setup.

noodles59
Miniboss

Okay my thoughts,

It's not really about CL any more hence assuming faster is better - in real terms you want to stick to the XMP profiles coming with the ram. Myself using 16GB Predator 3200 ram with my 2700x without any issues.

...and don't forget to go NVMe SSD for system/windows drive if you really want a blazing fast system booting to logon screen within ~5 seconds.

Cheers

0 Likes

johnnyskullhead, I am a fan of G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)], especially Samsung B-Dies.  Thaiphoon Burner will tell you what chips are used and what XMP profiles are available.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks Mate

0 Likes

I have 24GB installed at the moment and my rig seems to be much better with it compared to having 8GB

0 Likes

Many Thanks

0 Likes