cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mobeen
Journeyman III

Best old cpu which is good for light gaming?

Hey guys I am new to AMD and I am process of buliding my first pc and first all AMD pc so I need your help because I have intel and geforce user and I think its time to experience what amd has to offer.

I am want to bulid super cheap amd pc which supports ddr 2 ram because I have ddr2 sticks which I will use. I also want to overclock the cpu since I am new to overclocking I need help deciding which amd cpu is few years old but good for light wait gaming and its not for games which came out in past 2 years to be played in high 1080p. This is a experimental build so I want to tinker.

If you can suggest me a good unlocked cpu and maybe a good motherboard which has overclocking supported then that will be great,

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Best old cpu which is good for light gaming?

DDR2 hasn't been supported for years from either AMD or Intel. However if you want to scrounge eBay for an old CPU and motherboard for DDR2, I would suggest the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe and AMD Phenom II X6 1100T.

0 Kudos
mobeen
Journeyman III

Thanks for reply the motherboard doesnt exist in england ebay and its going for about 100 dollars on USA ebay and + cpu that will cost be about £150 which is rip off for old system.

0 Kudos
neon
Miniboss

The last AMD motherboards that used DDR2 were socket AM2+ motherboards. Most socket AM3 processors can run in AM2+ motherboards because they have 2 memory controllers - one for DDR2 and one for DDR3. Of course, it's good to check with motherboard manufacturer's website to consult CPU compatibility list.

The suggestion above by black_zion is good; I had a DFI LanParty JR 790GX M2RS socket AM2+ motherboard which was good for tinkering. Any of the Phenom II X4 or X6 should be OK to play with. Have fun.

0 Kudos