cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

evilvir
Adept I

Re: Best liquid cooling for Threadripper 3970X

It's 50-60C during LIGHT load. Like you know, some browser, some YouTube maybe.

As for my custom loop... hard to tell. I didn't finished building it for about a month now due to some problems down the line, family issues and tight deadlines at work. I'll go and try to finish it today maybe, but giving the first attempt's results it will not be any better than this Celsius thing. Heck, I'm at the point where I consider throwing that $1000 worth piece of junk to nearest trash bin and go back to Celsius.

Anyway dear AMD, it's great that you've stepped up the core count game, it really is. Love your products, built three PCs on AMD platform this year already. But for Threadripper 4 either focus on TPD not being sky-hifh OR please engineer and include valid cooling solution in the box. After all this is not a cheap piece of hardware and with current state of things it's just wasted potential.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Pretty much any 280mm class AIO water cooler will handle the job. Check to be sure there is a bracket for your socket.

0 Likes
ledhed
Adept II

I look forward to hearing your custom loop results and I hope everything is okay with your family!

I am considering building my first custom H2O loop too (to cool my 3950X).

0 Likes
evilvir
Adept I

Bracked for standard AIOs is added in the box with Threadripper...

And no 280mm AIO will not do at all. I got 360mm AIO and it barely made it during non-summer days.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

evilvir wrote:

Bracked for standard AIOs is added in the box with Threadripper...

And no 280mm AIO will not do at all. I got 360mm AIO and it barely made it during non-summer days.

I do not have an image of your chassis so I can only guestimate what will fit, Most can handle the 280 fine but the giant 420 are imposing.

The 360 use the smaller 120mm fans while I like the 140mm fans better

0 Likes
YaK7
Journeyman III

I found a list of coolers https://pangoly.com/en/review/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3970x/compatibility/cpu-cooler

May be it will be useful. 

In addition, I would to say that the processor heating depends also on the motherboard. How many real phases has your motherboard? In which manner they paralleled (with/without dublers).  I don’t know which motherboard you are using, but if it doesn’t power the processor as needed, then maybe it’s worth selling it, adding some money, and buying a better motherboard? Maybe it will be cheaper than constantly investing in a cooling system.

0 Likes
YaK7
Journeyman III

This channel https://www.youtube.com/c/DaPoets/videos gives amazing cooling solutions for the Threadripper  3970x

0 Likes