Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chris_2020
Journeyman III

Best liquid cooling for Threadripper 3970X

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit undecided about the current best possible liquid cooling solution for the Threadripper 3970X.

I'm going to continuously full load 28-30 cores / 55-60 threads for training an AI. The remaining cores will be used for other tasks, maybe gaming too, so a full load of all cores is also possible.

Is any AiO available or will be released in the near future which fully covers the heatspreader and is really suitable for this task? Currently I'm thinking about the following AiOs:

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT (loud pump noise?)

Fractal Design Celsius S36 (seems to be powerful and silent)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 (silent, but maybe too weak?)
Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium (silent, but maybe too weak?)

Alphacool Eisbaer 420 CPU (really as powerful as it seems to be? loud?)

Has anyone made some experiences with those AiOs in combination with the 3970X?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
16 Replies

Anandtech used the Thermaltake Riing 360 on their Threadripper tests, including the 3990X which has the same TDP as the 3970X, and it maxed out at 68*C under full stress, so that'd be a good place to start.

0 Likes

black_zion, Thermaltake Riing 360 looks like a great cooler, but 68C sounds way too low.  What is being used to measure temperatures?  Surely not Ryzen Master - the only metric that counts.  I have a 3970X with what I think is a good cooler (Enermax Liqtech TR4 280) and I easily hit in the 90sCs running Cinebench, all core.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

They didn't say, but they did say their average core speed was above the base speed of 2900mhz throughout the testing, which leads me to believe the test results were correct.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/2

TomsHardware used a Corsair H115i and they got spikes upwards of 80 but generally stayed under 70, so the results are substantiated.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/2

0 Likes

I have 48 idle and 78 full core Cinebench R20 with full Noctua AirCooling and Lian Li o11 XL

0 Likes

You do know those Liqtechs have a severe problem with gunk/crud buildup inside them...  I suggest looking up the Gamers Nexus videos on this...  Scary stuff

QB

0 Likes
ledhed
Adept II

Alphacool Eisbaer 420 CPU Liquid Cooler Review 

According to this review of the Alphacool Eisbaer 420, the Thermaltake 3.0 Riing 360 beats it by a good bit. Although they test it on a 3930K, but that is mainly so they could compare against a lot of coolers. I wish they had put some aftermarket fans on it, to see what gains are possible with fans like the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC.

I'm always surprised to see smaller AIO setups beating out 360mm and 420mm models. 

In the end, if you really want water cooling for a Threadripper, it's probably worth it (for that CPU), to buy a dedicated H2O setup. It's nearly worth doing that for my 3950X and I still might!!

Something else to consider, the IceGiant Thermosiphon will be releasing this spring and some previews of the cooler (such as over at LTT), show it beating out AIO and is basically even with a dedicated H2O setup. It's hard to trust LTT and THG's preview of the cooler, since the final model will be 1/3 the thickness of the prototype. Probably best to wait for real reviews from someone like AnAndTech. 

IceGiant - CPU Cooling Technology & Innovation  (Thermosiphon Product Page)

0 Likes
lenny13
Journeyman III

Hi, if this is still relevant, then you can look at a comparison of liquid coolers here 5 Best CPU Liquid Coolers Reviews of 2020 - BestAdvisor.com . Termlake has its advantages, but I personally liked NZXT most of all due to: The system comes with CAM software that allows for changing the temperature, setting fan speed, and overclocking your graphics card.

0 Likes
evilvir
Adept I

I'm struggling with liquid cooling this CPU for half a year now. Got Noctua's Air Cooler, Fractal's Celsius S36 and now I just built custom loop with EKWB's EK-Velocity block.

For now "best" of them was Celsius S36. 40C in idle, 50-60C under light load. I put "best" in quotes as these are far too high temperatures for the workload in my opinion.

Stay away from Noctua's Air Cooler - this thing is garbage, got me 50-60C in idle (I was too afraid to run any tests on it).

As for custom loops - hard to tell. In theory they should perform better. In practice I just spent around $800 on custom water cooling loop and now I'm sitting here trying to figure out why it is performing way worse than Fractal's S36.

This CPU is nice and all but cooling it is next to impossible. It's more like AMD's "hey, we can do that" than "hey, you can actually use it in day-to-day work".

0 Likes

If you expect to run a CPU with 16+ cores, at less than 50-60C during load, then you will need a very high end custom H2O loop. 

You mentioned the Celsius S36 temps, but what did you get with your new custom loop?

BTW, most people would consider 50-60C during load to be a VERY good temperature with the 3970X, as many of us, are pushing upwards of 70-80C just trying to cool the 3950X. 

0 Likes

It's 50-60C during LIGHT load. Like you know, some browser, some YouTube maybe.

As for my custom loop... hard to tell. I didn't finished building it for about a month now due to some problems down the line, family issues and tight deadlines at work. I'll go and try to finish it today maybe, but giving the first attempt's results it will not be any better than this Celsius thing. Heck, I'm at the point where I consider throwing that $1000 worth piece of junk to nearest trash bin and go back to Celsius.

Anyway dear AMD, it's great that you've stepped up the core count game, it really is. Love your products, built three PCs on AMD platform this year already. But for Threadripper 4 either focus on TPD not being sky-hifh OR please engineer and include valid cooling solution in the box. After all this is not a cheap piece of hardware and with current state of things it's just wasted potential.

I look forward to hearing your custom loop results and I hope everything is okay with your family!

I am considering building my first custom H2O loop too (to cool my 3950X).

0 Likes

Pretty much any 280mm class AIO water cooler will handle the job. Check to be sure there is a bracket for your socket.

0 Likes

Bracked for standard AIOs is added in the box with Threadripper...

And no 280mm AIO will not do at all. I got 360mm AIO and it barely made it during non-summer days.

0 Likes

evilvir wrote:

Bracked for standard AIOs is added in the box with Threadripper...

And no 280mm AIO will not do at all. I got 360mm AIO and it barely made it during non-summer days.

I do not have an image of your chassis so I can only guestimate what will fit, Most can handle the 280 fine but the giant 420 are imposing.

The 360 use the smaller 120mm fans while I like the 140mm fans better

0 Likes
YaK7
Journeyman III

I found a list of coolers https://pangoly.com/en/review/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3970x/compatibility/cpu-cooler

May be it will be useful. 

In addition, I would to say that the processor heating depends also on the motherboard. How many real phases has your motherboard? In which manner they paralleled (with/without dublers).  I don’t know which motherboard you are using, but if it doesn’t power the processor as needed, then maybe it’s worth selling it, adding some money, and buying a better motherboard? Maybe it will be cheaper than constantly investing in a cooling system.

0 Likes
YaK7
Journeyman III

This channel https://www.youtube.com/c/DaPoets/videos gives amazing cooling solutions for the Threadripper  3970x

0 Likes