cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Biz4U
Journeyman III

Best Epyc value for a small Database (around 100GB)

I have a small database of around 100GB, and 50 or so concurrent users.

The current Windows / SQL Server runs on a vintage 2011 Opteron which doesn't really ever get staurated. That server has more RAM than the size of the datbase, however it's still slow compared to what it can perform on something like a recent CPU with SSDs (we tested on another server recently and confirmed).  

While any upgrade will help, I'm trying to decide which Epyc CPU will give me the best bang for my buck. We're now migrating from SQL Server to PostgreSQL, which will do wonderers (I hope) for concurrency, but I still need to pick a CPU in the $1K or less cost range.

Surprisingly there are a few choices. I can go with a Rome generation 8 Core with 128GB Cache, or a Milan generation 8 or 16 core with the same L3 Cache. The frequency optimized versions are 2-3X the price, and I just don't see how they will return value for the extra expense, so I'm ruling them out. 

Ideas from any one with experience in this area ?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Ask you question at a more appropriate AMD Forum Servers Guru from here: https://community.amd.com/t5/server-gurus/ct-p/amd-server-gurus

They deal with anything to do with EPYC processors and Server Hardware and Software.