Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

user9951a
Journeyman III

Best Cooling System for AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

I have the following system:

- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

- ASRock X399 Taichi sTR4 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

- Cooler Master MAM-D7PN-DWRPS-T1 AMD Wraith Ripper

- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

- Advancing Gene NVMe M.2 SSD Cooler Heatsinks with 20mm Fan, 2nd Generation

- CORSAIR HXi Series, HX850i, 850 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular - Digital Power Supply

- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) 06G-P4-6161-KR

- Full sized tower case with plenty of air space

-------------------------------

- Default settings - no overclocking

Here's the problem:
In the BIOS, before I even install Windows, I'm getting a CPU temp of 65 degrees C.

Could anyone tell me the following:

1) What is the normal / safe operating temp range for the Ryzen 1950x?

The website spec says - Max temp 68C, but I've seen reviews that show much higher temps - even with AIO water coolers.

Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1950X Processor | AMD

2) What is the best cooling solution for the 1950x (based purely on the best temps).

I see this list, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations, based on reviews or their own use.

Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD

I'd like to be able to run the CPU at full capacity for extended periods without worrying about cooking the chip.

I'm planning to try this cooler next:

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium-Grade 140mm CPU Cooler for AMD TR4/SP3

0 Likes
11 Replies

Deleted my original reply since I see you already been to the link i Posted. Sorry.

According to Noctua that model is sufficient for the 1950X which has a TDP of 180 Watts: (I would suggest to add a second fan to this CPU Cooler)

But for the best cooling for such a high Wattage CPU is Liquid Cooling if you are planning on using software that will heavily stress or you are going to OC the CPU.

68C is the Maximum Operating Temperature of the CPU. Once the CPU starts reaching that temperature it automatically starts to throttle (lowers the speed) to reduce power thus reducing temperature. IF it can't reduce the temperature and continues to increase past 68C it will automatically shut down the computer to prevent the CPU from being damaged or as you mentioned "Cooked".

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

user9951a, I have not used an air cooler for several generations now.  My opinion is use a water cooler with a cold block that fully covers all chips in the processor module.  Older coolers do not.  I have also seen one user with a TR who had interference with a memory stick.  Here are my specifications:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2.

I also have a 1950X with smaller version (TR4 240) of the same cooler.    Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I looked at the Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler on Amazon, but several people have found that it works for a time and then gets filled with corrosion and debris. Have you found that to be true as well?

Could you tell me the typical temps you are seeing on your systems (idle and max)?

Thanks for the replies.

0 Likes

Look for the Enermax Liqtech II which addresses the issues with the first model. I am using one and so far no issues with corrosion.

0 Likes

user9951a, I have seen posts where users report such problems with the TR4 series coolers. I have two now and have seen no problems at all and my temperatures are very good. I have also heard EnerMax support is very good. I'm running Prime95 stress test now on my 1950X and it just made it to 56C. I looked through all my old screenshots and see 35C to 43C. All of these temperatures are room temperature dependent and right now that is about 20C. Idle is usually about 35C to 40C. Maximum for all Threadrippers is 68C. All temperatures are reported by Ryzen Master and none other. I am also listening to music, posting here and running a Virtual Machine (not doing much). Have fun and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

Make sure the air throughput/exchange inside the case is sufficient. Get an AIO liquid which is easy to install and service free - it should keep your load temperature around 60C.

0 Likes
user9951a
Journeyman III

I didn't realize that the 1950x chip has "temperature offset".

I Googled this:

ryzen 1950x temperature offset

and came up with this link:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X review - Power Consumption & Temperatures

Which says:

Temperature Reporting

To keep a "consistent fan policy," AMD is forcing 20C offset on the Ryzen 1700X and 1800X processors. This makes them report temperature a good 20C above what the sensor reads. All models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value.

Threadripper has the same thing and has a 27 Degrees C offset. The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen and thus Ryzen Threadripper processors have a consistent fan policy.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper uses a +27°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper can simply subtract 27°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor.

Product NameTrue Junction Temp (Tdie)tCTL Offset for Fan PolicyTemp Reported by (tCTL)
Threadripper 1950X43°C27°C70°C
Threadripper 1920X43°C27°C70°C
Ryzen 7 1800X38°C20°C58°C
Ryzen 7 1700X38°C20°C58°C
Ryzen 7 170038°C0°C38°C

If I'm reading this correctly, when my system says the temp is 70C, I should subtract 27, and it's really comparable to 43 C.

The Ryzen documentation doesn't mention this:

AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1950X Drivers & Support | AMD

Can anyone confirm that this is correct for the 1950x? I'm just trying to find the official documentation. Thanks

Hopefully, this will save others from sending back parts.

0 Likes

AMD is forcing 20C offset on the Ryzen 1700X and 1800X processors

This affected the first generation CPUs (1xxx) but I am under the impression this problem has been fixed in the second generation hence 2xxx CPUs.

0 Likes

user9951a, this is why you should use ONLY Ryzen Master to observe temperatures. The chart is wrong! When tCTL reports 70C, the 1950X is over its limit (68C) and ready to croak! There is an offset but it is used to provide the temperature base to MBs to use on auto-fan control. AMD's offset has confused many users and vendors and causes a lot of temperature reporting applications to be wrong. Please use Ryzen Master and do not be concerned with offset. This is why I said "All temperatures are reported by Ryzen Master and none other. " above! Enjoy, John.

drajitsh
Adept I

0 Likes
travellingman
Journeyman III

I have two TR 1950X processors with the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium-Grade 140mm CPU Cooler for AMD TR4/SP3 with two fans (push and pull).  I live near Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, and my daytime temps in my computer area in late August are 29-31C.

Both run 24/7 and 99-100% CPU.  Ryzen Master reports temps of 62-66 under these loads.  Note that I run stock, not overclocked.  There is a slight Turbo boost at times in the mornings here when it is cooler.

I have had two AIO liquid coolers go dry on me, somehow losing the working fluid.  One 4790K CPU was damaged before I noticed it, but I saved the other one.  I am now going all air cooling.

Best wishes on whichever cooling system you choose.

0 Likes