Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fyrel
Miniboss

Re: Best Budget Cooler for ryzen 5 3600

Don't know why they list it that way.

AMD TDP is a calculated number of how much heat the CPU can transfer based on the cooling capabilities of the supplied stock cooler.

It's more an indication of what the cooler is capable of rather than any indication of the heat output of the CPU.

3600 with wraith stealth had TDP of 65W.

3600X with wraith spire has TDP of 95W.

These are the same chips physically, the higher power limits  those TDP values allow motherboards to set on the 3600X is based mostly on the fact it comes with the better cooler.

Gamers Nexus did a Youtube video on the subject which you might find interesting though it does get a bit technical at times.

74wajeeh
Adept II

Yes i saw that video yesterday it explains and clears everything for me. I went to my local computer shop my friend's shop actually. Ha have Corsair Hydro h55 120mm aio liquid cooler on sale for 4$ only 3 months used. I installed it on my ryzen 5 3600 it managed to lower down the temps but little bit. On stock idle are 47c to 55c and under full load 95c and throttles. On the Corsair H55 idle are 43c to 47c but some time spikes to 50c to 51c for a sec. And on full load 87c while all core bost satys at 4.0 to 4.1 on stock settings just PBO and Core Performance Bost auto as it was. What do you think are these good temps for a liquid cooler should i purchase it for 4$ or i have to spend little more maybe 1.5$ to 2$ for a better cooler the ones we discussed previously.  Corsair Hydro h55 has tdp of 95 to 100 wat.

Thanks and again truly appreciate your time and support  

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

It is too hot IMHO. Any time you get to the max temp for the cpu it can damage it little by little. Plus with the throttling your performance seriously suffers. If that chip is that hot with water cooling you need to RMA that chip, unless the water cooler is defective or not installed correctly. 

74wajeeh
Adept II

No i think chip is fine. I am talking about the stress test where all cores sustained at 4.1 frequency entire time of the test second the water cooler that i mentioned is entry level and not much capable it only has tdp of 95 to 100 wats. Guess it is a replacement of a stock cooler. And if you talk about real world usage i tested it on adobe aftereffects rendering it didn't passed 72c to 75c. I think a cooler with more then 100 to 120 tdp will be good enough. 

Thanks 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

If that chip is pegged at 100% usage for 5 hours it should never be close to 95. 

You could run CPU-Z from cpuid dot com. It has a benchmark tab that will load all cores to 100% usage. 

See what temps you get. If it is near 95 then you are throttling and losing performance and damaging your CPU prematurely. 

So if that is the case you either have a bad cpu that likely should have failed validation or your cooling choices are not good enough. 

Obviously if you are happy and don't want to pursue it. That is your choice. Good Luck!

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

87C is too hot for sustained use so you should look for a better cooler than that.

PBO is going to make your system run hot and you probably shouldn't use it until you get a better cooler.

74wajeeh
Adept II

Yes i am ordering a new better cooler anyway if the chip is bad it has 3 years warranty.

Thanks all. 

0 Likes
74wajeeh
Adept II

Hello Again. 

So i got Coolermaster MA410P (180wat TDP) cpu cooler for my ryzen 5 3600. Now my idel temps are 42c to 50c and on stress test All core boost sustained at 4175mhz and temp at 85c for 40 minutes to 45 minutes temp never went above 86c on stress test where cpu utilization 100% and all cores on 4175mhz boost. On Adobe Aftereffects rendering test cpu temp just touches 76c but sustained at 70c to 72c but spikes to 76c once or twice. Percian Boost and Core Performance boost are Enabled. What do you think these temps are good or i still have any problem with my chip? And one other thing. In bios under Percian Boost option should keep it on Auto or Enable? Here is the Screenshot of Open Hardware Monitor after Stress Testing my cpu. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Well you are within spec now. Well enough I don't think you have to worry about throttling or damage. I do think however that CPU definitely runs on the TOASTY side. 

0 Likes
74wajeeh
Adept II

Yes. I did some research and find out that Ryzen 3000 series runs hotter than the previous generation because 7nm chips that TSMC made have higher density and runs or higher voltage. Because these chips can withstand higher temps amd have implemented aggressive voltage settings and Boost algorithms. Thats why on all Ryzen 3000 chips temps are higher. You can find out more in this article from Noctua. According to Noctua anything below 90c is normal and even above 90c for short burst.

FAQ: Why is my Ryzen 3000 processor getting so hot? Why are Ryzen 3000 CPUs running hotter than prev... 

Thanks 

0 Likes