cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

74wajeeh
Adept II

Best Budget Cooler for ryzen 5 3600

I got ryzen 5 3600 few days ago. Since first boot i haven't seen temps below 50c and on full load it reachs 95c and throttles on stock cooler. I don't know how reviewers bragg about wraith stealth cooler in my opinion its worse then the intel's stock cooler i had i3 9100f before, never reaches 70c on stock cooler. But don't ask me if i am using stealth cooler right like i applied paste correctly or mounting it right because i checked it three times every thing is right. Anyway my questions is i want to throw the worse Wraith Stealth cooler and want to get a new one. So every one on internet suggesting Coolermaster Hyper 212. But this time its is not available in my country also it will not fit in my case (Masterbox mb500). But we do have Coolermaster H410r I just want to it run on stocks with PBO ON and don't want it to reach above 80. I live in a very hot place where my room temperature is 30c to 35c. Or i just have to wait and get an Aio liquid cooler. Please suggest me.

My Build:

Gigabyte aorus b450 pro wifi.

Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock Wraith Stealth)

32GB Adata 2666mhz ram

Amd Sapphire rx 570 4gb

Kingston 240 gb ssd.

Coolermaster Masterbox MB500 Case

Thanks in advance

31 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

For best bargain cooler I would head over to eBay and check out the prices of the Wraith Prism.

You generally see a lot of listing for opened and unused Prisms.

Guess people in this CPU bracket are going aftermarket coolers.

The fan is 2 grades up from the wraith model that comes with your CPU and is supposed to cool up to a 3900x so should give results on your 3600.

Thank you but as i said where i live there is no ebay, amazon' newegg, or something nor Wraith Prisim is available here in my country. So i have to go after market solution. 

0 Likes

While the prism was better it doesn't cool my 3600 well enough either. 

I use a Cooler Master 212 evo on in and my 3700x and it cools both great.

My 3600 temps fluctuate between about 35 and 45 at idle and my under load temp is never over 73. 

The cooler costs about 35 bucks in the USA. 

Nice thing about them is they pretty much always get updates when sockets change so I have one that I have used for 3 generations now. There are better for more money and cheaper knocks offs that probably would be better than the stock cooler for around 25. I personally think the EVO is worth the extra 10 bucks as it is quality and so far upgradable. 

Now I know you said that it too tall. I don't have any experience with another.

I see a cooler master 

Cooler Master Hyper T2 Compact CPU Cooler Dual Looped, CDC Heatpipes, 92mm PWM Fan, Aluminum Fins for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151

that is 140mm tall vs the 159 of the 212 evo.

You will just have to measure you space you have. Most sites that sell the fans will give you the dimensions. I would say that it is likely that any fan that looks a bit beefier than the OEM one will likely cool better. 

Maybe someone with experience with a more compact cooler on these cpus will answer too. 

This is a 140mm high one too and I would bet it is better than a 212 evo.

ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev. 2 CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Twin-Tower Heatsink, 120mm PWM Fan

0 Likes

I saw this on one Amazon. I would bet this would be closed to the performance of a prism and is only 4.5 inches tall so about 115mm high according to their specs. You may want to double check that with another source if interested. This one is only 25 bucks. 

DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan Blue LED INTEL/AMD AM4

I know you don't have Amazon but you can look for these models at retailers you do have. 

Ok so any idea how much tdp cooler do i need to fully turbo r5 3600 and keep it in 70 to 75 range. Also let know how much voltage r5 3600 use when cpb is on and pbo is off mine is taking 1.3+ something is it normal?

Thanks 

0 Likes

yes we have this available 

0 Likes
74wajeeh
Adept II

I was researching quit a bit on internet from past few hours for the best coolers for my r5 3600. Yes every one is suggesting evo but i found some others that is listed below so suggest me which one should i get i can get evo because one its not available second it will not fit in my case.

1:Here are the coolers that found:

2:Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P

3:Aerocool Verkho 4 Lite

4:DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400

5:Cooler Master MasterAir G100M

6:Cooler Master Hyper H410R

These are the coolers that are hopefully available in my country. I just want to enable pbo and don't want my cpu to cross 75c 78c ease let me know which would be fine. I was thinking about any one of these that i can get. Each has 100+ tdp according to manufacturer site some hase 150 tdp too.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Never tried any of those but the first 3 look like good coolers.

Heatpipes and high max airflow.

I would probably pick the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400

I am in the same boat as fyrel. I have not used those others. I would bet that they are all likely better than the stock cooler you have. 

I did see a review yesterday that tested the prism, wraith and stealth all on a 2600 processor. There was about a 20 degree difference from top to bottom.

They then also tested that DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400. It was just marginally below the Prism. So I think that would translate into under load a 70-75 max temp compared to the 90 you get now. Plus that is about as cheap as a decent cooler gets. 

Likely the more expensive coolers will perform better but probably by at most another 4-8 degrees, and their fans may last a lot longer. There is a reason they cost more. Plus the top brands also will usually have upgrade paths when new sockets emerge without having to buy the whole cooler again. 

correction to the above the cooler they compared to the 3 AMD stock coolers was the Gammaxx 200. So likely that 400 will perform better than the Prism. For the price I think it would definitely fit the bill of budget and better cooling as long as it fits. 

here is the link to that review, you may find it interesting:  AMD Coolers Tested: Wraith Prism vs. Wraith Spire vs. Wraith Stealth - TechSpot 

0 Likes
74wajeeh
Adept II

Ok so any idea how much tdp cooler do i need to fully turbo r5 3600 and keep it in 70 to 75 range. Also let know how much voltage r5 3600 use when cpb is on and pbo is off mine is taking 1.3+ something is it normal?

Thanks 

0 Likes

The PPT limit for the 3600 is 88W so in theory anything with a TDP higher than that should be enough.

The Ryzen chips boost depending on temperature so more is better.

Voltages up to 1.4 aren't unusual if temperatures are in check.

Thank you very much all. Only one question though. Amd on ryzen 5 3600 page on there website says MAX TDP of 65 wat but as we can see and you also said PPT is 88 WAT. So i am confused a bit can you explain what is going on. I know TDP is thermal design power means the max heat a component can generate but what is PPT i know it stands for Package Power Tracker but what it do and how it is related to TDP.

Also in my country a seller is selling a cpu cooler on sale which is Coolermaster Eagle Z50 which i haven't found on cooler master global site maybe its just for russia and china. I also didn't found tdp of this cooler if you can help with this too it would be great. Seller is selling this cooler baranded new for 1$ for next some days. 

Thanks again i really appreciate your help.

0 Likes

Nope don't get that Eagle it is way worse than the stock cooler. You can get them here 3 for 20 bucks and they are much smaller than stock. 

0 Likes

See if by chance you can find this cooler? 

C Cooler Yellow Ocean Deluxe Plus S90F+ CPU Cooler 100mm

PC Cooler Yellow Ocean Deluxe Plus S90F+ CPU Cooler 100mm Ultra Silent Fan with Heatpipes Heatsink For AMD Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1, Intel LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/1150

I used these on several AM3 processors. The motherboard mounting holes for AM4 and AM3 are different but ones like the above that use the clip like the stock cooler fit just fine. This one was twice as good as the original stock fan for my PhenomII x6 and that produced more heat than the current 3600. Plus you don't have to remove the board and it is only 125mm tall. If you do find and get it, watch the fins, they are super sharp. 

These are not easy to find here so maybe not at all for you. 

Or you could check out other C Cooler options. 

0 Likes

Thank you i will try to find this one. 

Thanks 

0 Likes

PPT is the maximum power that the CPU has to draw on.

Ryzen master shows what percentage of that your processor is drawing at any given time.

For a 65W TDP processor that limit is set to 88W of electrical power.

The electrical power driving the CPU outputs as heat.

So you need to be able to remove the maximum PPT value as heat to run the CPU at maximum power.

Hey guys.One more question . Amd on there website lists "Default TDP/TDP" so i was curious is it the same thing or what if this is default does it means there is another tdp as well like max tdp or something. Is default means on default base clock with turbos off?

Thanks Again 

0 Likes

Don't know why they list it that way.

AMD TDP is a calculated number of how much heat the CPU can transfer based on the cooling capabilities of the supplied stock cooler.

It's more an indication of what the cooler is capable of rather than any indication of the heat output of the CPU.

3600 with wraith stealth had TDP of 65W.

3600X with wraith spire has TDP of 95W.

These are the same chips physically, the higher power limits  those TDP values allow motherboards to set on the 3600X is based mostly on the fact it comes with the better cooler.

Gamers Nexus did a Youtube video on the subject which you might find interesting though it does get a bit technical at times.

74wajeeh
Adept II

Yes i saw that video yesterday it explains and clears everything for me. I went to my local computer shop my friend's shop actually. Ha have Corsair Hydro h55 120mm aio liquid cooler on sale for 4$ only 3 months used. I installed it on my ryzen 5 3600 it managed to lower down the temps but little bit. On stock idle are 47c to 55c and under full load 95c and throttles. On the Corsair H55 idle are 43c to 47c but some time spikes to 50c to 51c for a sec. And on full load 87c while all core bost satys at 4.0 to 4.1 on stock settings just PBO and Core Performance Bost auto as it was. What do you think are these good temps for a liquid cooler should i purchase it for 4$ or i have to spend little more maybe 1.5$ to 2$ for a better cooler the ones we discussed previously.  Corsair Hydro h55 has tdp of 95 to 100 wat.

Thanks and again truly appreciate your time and support  

0 Likes

It is too hot IMHO. Any time you get to the max temp for the cpu it can damage it little by little. Plus with the throttling your performance seriously suffers. If that chip is that hot with water cooling you need to RMA that chip, unless the water cooler is defective or not installed correctly. 

No i think chip is fine. I am talking about the stress test where all cores sustained at 4.1 frequency entire time of the test second the water cooler that i mentioned is entry level and not much capable it only has tdp of 95 to 100 wats. Guess it is a replacement of a stock cooler. And if you talk about real world usage i tested it on adobe aftereffects rendering it didn't passed 72c to 75c. I think a cooler with more then 100 to 120 tdp will be good enough. 

Thanks 

0 Likes

If that chip is pegged at 100% usage for 5 hours it should never be close to 95. 

You could run CPU-Z from cpuid dot com. It has a benchmark tab that will load all cores to 100% usage. 

See what temps you get. If it is near 95 then you are throttling and losing performance and damaging your CPU prematurely. 

So if that is the case you either have a bad cpu that likely should have failed validation or your cooling choices are not good enough. 

Obviously if you are happy and don't want to pursue it. That is your choice. Good Luck!

0 Likes

87C is too hot for sustained use so you should look for a better cooler than that.

PBO is going to make your system run hot and you probably shouldn't use it until you get a better cooler.

Yes i am ordering a new better cooler anyway if the chip is bad it has 3 years warranty.

Thanks all. 

0 Likes
74wajeeh
Adept II

Hello Again. 

So i got Coolermaster MA410P (180wat TDP) cpu cooler for my ryzen 5 3600. Now my idel temps are 42c to 50c and on stress test All core boost sustained at 4175mhz and temp at 85c for 40 minutes to 45 minutes temp never went above 86c on stress test where cpu utilization 100% and all cores on 4175mhz boost. On Adobe Aftereffects rendering test cpu temp just touches 76c but sustained at 70c to 72c but spikes to 76c once or twice. Percian Boost and Core Performance boost are Enabled. What do you think these temps are good or i still have any problem with my chip? And one other thing. In bios under Percian Boost option should keep it on Auto or Enable? Here is the Screenshot of Open Hardware Monitor after Stress Testing my cpu. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

Well you are within spec now. Well enough I don't think you have to worry about throttling or damage. I do think however that CPU definitely runs on the TOASTY side. 

0 Likes

Yes. I did some research and find out that Ryzen 3000 series runs hotter than the previous generation because 7nm chips that TSMC made have higher density and runs or higher voltage. Because these chips can withstand higher temps amd have implemented aggressive voltage settings and Boost algorithms. Thats why on all Ryzen 3000 chips temps are higher. You can find out more in this article from Noctua. According to Noctua anything below 90c is normal and even above 90c for short burst.

FAQ: Why is my Ryzen 3000 processor getting so hot? Why are Ryzen 3000 CPUs running hotter than prev... 

Thanks 

0 Likes

absolutely something I am well aware of. Thanks for the share. 

0 Likes

i like to leave all those precision boost things on Auto, in my experimenting i find there's really no point unless you got some higher end board and can get a little more out of tinkering.     As for temps it really depends on a lot of other factors, like how good the case cools itself, ambient temps, etc.  But that cooler should be very good.