cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mantisman13
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Bad memory channel - how to test if mobo or CPU IMC (TR 3960x)?

pastedImage_1.png

So are you suggesting I should set my infinity fabric timing up to 1600?

0 Kudos
drdocumentum
Adept I
Adept I

Yes if you want to get the best performance memory-wise. AMD states that the IF can run in sync up to 1800 mhz for 3600mhz RAM. After that, you can go higher on the RAM but not on the Infinity fabric. So you will be running those on an unlinked config. That kind of configuration is not recommended because it will introduce latency as the IF needs to wait for synched clocks to talk with the memory bus.

mantisman13
Adept II
Adept II

Thanks MisterJ and @drdocumentum

I have located the setting is the ASRock bios, but haven't yet tried that out with RM.  I did a bunch of testing with the DImm timing and Fabric timing over the long weekend. Setting the fabric timing to 1600 with 3200 for the dimms would work, but was unstable. I would end up freezing and have to power cycle, not BOSD. I believe I have this same issue when I was first getting the system setup and found some thread that suggested that under clocking the fabric would help. I think that is why I was running at 1500. At 1500, I'm rock solid now with the 3 way mem running at these setting.

pastedImage_1.png

My voltage is set to 1.35 but is getting reported by HWiFO64 a bit higher at 1.366. So maybe getting RM going I'll see a different reading.   At any rate, I sprung for another ASRock board, a Creator is all I could get my hands on, and a 3960x for a new build up. Should have all in hand in a few days and I can test out my 3970x with the new board and see if I can get 8 slots working with the same memory settings. I really don't want to tear it all down. I have a raid 10 of 6 SATA drives, and the last time I had an issues with one of SATA cables, the drive id's got messed up (might have been due to hot swapping SATA drives on a hot swap port around the same time) and it took a week for the raid to rebuild, and that was before I even had any real data on it. I'm honestly am not sure how well transplanting them to a new board will go over and think it might be easier if it's the CPU. Either of you guy have any experience with how AMD raid recovers itself when moved between boards? Same question for my NVNE drives that are Raid 0. But at least with those I think I can pull one and let it just rebuild on to a blank as either will have all data. With Raid 10, the data is set up as 3 sets of mirrors. I'm afraid that if the drive id somehow get shifted or mixed up, the raid won't see it's members and wont come back up. I feel like it should work so long as I make sure that each drive goes back to the same SATA port id that it's currently on, but I just have to wonder as I've seen the ids shift before. 

misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

mantisman13, I think I have told you that I do not believe HWiFO64.  I have moved RAIDs between MBs of different vendors with no problems.  You should not even need to stick to the same ports.  As always have a fresh backup available.  All my RAIDs were created my the same AMD RAID system.  A RAID0 has no redundancy, so if you pull one drive, it is marked FAILED and all the data is lost.  I am anxious to hear the results of a new MB and the old processor.  Thanks and enjoy, John,

drdocumentum
Adept I
Adept I

Unfortunately I can see that IF correct frequency is defective on Asrock motherboards. I had that lack of stability problem on my Asrock Creator too configuring the IF frequency. Now I can confirm is a design defect as yours also has this problem.

I suppose Asrock knows about this and that is the reason why their BIOS doesn't configure it correctly on "Auto" setting. On my Gigabyte MB, IF frequency is working fine. Make no mistake this IS a defect. As AMD own recommendation is to set the IF frequency in sync with memory clock. This is supported up to 1866 Mhz IF / DDR 3733 memory:

AMD 2019 Ryzen memory selection.JPG

You should return your Asrock.

mantisman13
Adept II
Adept II

Something is up for sure.  But it's not just the ASRock IF auto setting. It's defiantly unstable with I manually set it the 3200 and use the XMP profile for that. Down clocking the memory from the advertised stable profile setting has been what has worked for me all along, even before I lost A. I do find it interesting that Corsair no longer seems to offer the kit I bought as a 8x32, they stop at 8 x 16 https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-White/p/CMW128GX4M8C3200C... . To get a 8x32 you have to move to the 3000mhz kits https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW256GX4M8D3000C... .  And interesting enough, that is where I seem to be stable. 

pastedImage_3.png

So packages came to today. No case yet or UPS, but I have enough to do a bench build to test the CPU is a similar board (ASRcock Creator)  with a clean windows install. I'll get it up and going with 64gb and a 3960x and then bring over the rest of the ram, then swap out for the 3970x to see if it starts to fail like it is now. If it does, then I'll look to AMD for an RMA, otherwise ASRock as already said to start the RMA process. I guess if the creator fails to do full 8 way it may yet require a call to Corsair before both boards go back and I try out anther maker. But I have otherwise been very pleased with the Tiachi, so willing to give it all the benefits of investigation I can manage. 

Btw, I came across this guide from Corsair in my searching. It might be helfull to anyone else looking at these issues. 

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/Ryzen3000_MemoryOverclockingGuide.pdf 

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

It seems that memory faster than DDR4-2400 seems to all have XMP profiles, JEDEC reaches DDR4-3200 which is what I use with my R5 3600.

DDR5 is probably a good ways off.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Back to original subject.  I have RMAed my 3970X for a bad memory controller, but still can only run in triple channel mode.  Something else is broken on my system.  Enjoy, John.

mantisman13
Adept II
Adept II

Hi Miserj, That's suck it didn't solve the issue. I've had a very busy month but have been meaning to do an update. Look for it on the main thread shortly. 

0 Kudos
mantisman13
Adept II
Adept II

So it's been about a month and I still am stuck with a MOBO that will not work with A channel memory. I have however satisfied myself that both all of the memory chips are fine as well as the 3970x CPU. I dumped some more cash and built up a nice 3960x box with a ASROCK Creator board. If I could have gotten another TiaChi I would have for apples to apples, but this was close enough. This new system was a bit simpler. Air cooled, just a Raid 1 set of 1TB NVE4 for system, no massive storage raid. Used the same brand and type of graphics card, So while stripped down, basically the same drivers for both systems. Some differences with windows. My problem computer is activated Win10-Pro for workstations. The new one just plain Win10-pro and not activated.  Aside from that, they were at the same major build and feature levels for my tests. Both systems had up-to-date bios and drivers. I built the new system up and ran it for a while with the 3960x and tuned it for thermal performance. I could run it with the automatic bios setting but it would get above 90c fast with folding@home. I found under voting and running at 4000mhz, same as I'm doing with the 3970x works well to keep temps around 70c at 90% load and still avoid too much fan noise. With the 3960x, I validated that I can run ALL 256GB at 4x at 3200mhz using the profile provided without any issue. I could do this with my static clock speed or letting the bios dynamically adjust (just with higher temps). I then swapped in my 3970x cpu from my original system and repeated all my tests. Everything worked fine using 256GB in the new system with the older CPU and ran many stress test for many hours as well as a full 24 hr of folding loads. Put things back and did one more full mem test with the old system to end up with the same results. The fact that I get the memory training error before the bios even loads I think is a key tell. So I conclude the issue is with the MOBO. I have asked ASROCK if then can send me a replacement so I can swap with minimal down time and it's crickets. They have indicated I have to fill out a web form to do an RMA and that form says no cross ship. I just can't have the system down and wait for them to look at it and then tell me it was damaged in some way that gets them off the hook. Not pleased with their support at all. Id be happy to pay for the board and get a credit on return, but doesn't seem like they will do that. I'd like to get a new board to swap, but those seem to still be unavailable due to all of the supply chain issues. So I live with this for now. I'm running somewhat more stable after a few windows system repairs, likely from all the hard crashes. Just went 9 days without a freeze up, but that is still unacceptable and at some point I will want all the mem. The new system is rock solid like this one used to be and running a bit faster due to the higher speed ram settings that I can use with the 64GB set. 

0 Kudos