cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: Bad memory channel - how to test if mobo or CPU IMC (TR 3960x)?

Last MB to crap out I had it replaced no problem under warranty. 

I use an Intel 665p 2TB SSD, a criticised them as it is singled sided so more chips on the bottom could have made a larger capacity model. The 665p is not the fastest but it is still easily 5x faster than a SATA SSD.

I have developed several stress tests for my own use in my studio. Computer chess is more demanding than folding or digital coins. Chess enthusiasts often use 128GB of RAM or more. Chess does not use float() at but then comes Leela which uses the Turing logic.

0 Likes
mantisman13
Adept II

When you RMA your MOBO, did they send you a new one that you could swap and return the bad board, or did you have to tare down you computer and send it in and wait? That is my issue. Through the email based on my description they have pointed me to RMA it from the start, so I can't fault them there. But I didn't want to tear down the computer and have it turn out to be the CPU, so I went deeper and had enough other reason to want to build a second box it was a good way to be sure. So now it's mostly about preventing down time and when asked if they could just send me a new board they never responded. they may not have any to send right now. can't even buy one. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

MSI has a local office, i had to tear down the machine to send it in but I have other machines I can use.

The motherboard was bricked so I had no choice but to pull the machine apart.

The replacement came 7 days later.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

mantisman13,  I do not understand.  Please see my post from yesterday above.  I too get the Training error after 3970X RMA.  Please be very explicit about what systems you are running and what this means:

Put things back and did one more full mem test with the old system to end up with the same results. The fact that I get the memory training error before the bios even loads I think is a key tell.

... minimal down time and it's crickets.

Do you have two are one running system?  Why do you think the BIOS is not loaded when the Training error appears?  I assume it is the BIOS that is posting the error message - where else would it come from?  You do know you can run and run well in triple channel mode.  Please do not forget to install a fresh copy of W10 after changing from 3960X to 3970X or vice versa.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mantisman13
Adept II

I built a completely new system, new MOBO, System Storage, CPU so I could test the memory and CPU from my original system that was having the memory issues to better isolate whether the issue was with the MOBO or the CPU or due to some mem timing issue. The training error I have on the TiaChi board shows up (when it does, it doesn't always, but mostly does) before it gets to the F2/Del screen, so it's defiantly before it goes into loading the boot disk. I guess the BIOS could have loaded at that point, but I really can't be sure if it has or hasn't. At any rate the error comes up before you can get into BIOS to make changes and if you do, you will see no mem detected in the A slots. I'm thinking this is part of the boards built in memory check as you can see it going through the error codes with DR MOS.Maybe a new bios would fix it, but I kinda doubt it at this point. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Thanks, mantisman13.  I was thinking that your new MB with both 3960X or 3970X worked but not the old - TaiChi(?) - did 3960X work with old board?  I have a copy of 'Aptio_V_Status_Codes.pdf' which has all the boot codes.  Obviously your MB is running the Training code as mine and failing so does not get through POST to show F2/Del of start loading W10.  The Stepping for both my 3970Xs (old and replacement) was/is SSP-B0 - yours?  Do both MBs fail now with one or both processors?  What is the old MB?  My 3970X scores almost 17,000 on Cinebench R60 and exceeded 17,000 on the old 3970X.  I am running in NUMA mode which helps memory performance.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mantisman13
Adept II

Misterj,  I only testing both cpu's on the newer creator board. Once I validated that I could run the full set of 256GB on the Creator board with either CPU at default settings I was convinced the issue was with the TiaChi board and not the 3970x and since the Windows system was activated on the TiaChi, I didn't want to mess with changing the CPU for it. I don't think the test would have been of any value at that point. Thanks for the link for the AM codes. I haven't seen that and it may come in handy. 

Cheers

John

0 Likes
mantisman13
Adept II

PS, I finally found a TiaChi board on offer from Amazon, so I'll be swapping that out for new one in the next couple weeks. If the new board returned me to 4x and proves stable, I guess then I'll try the RMA process to get a replacement board. The question then would be do I build another box or keep it for a spare. These thread ripper builds are not cheep. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Thanks, mantisman13.  There is no reason you cannot change the processor on an activated copy of W10.  There is some limit as to how much HW you can change but one processor will be fine.  I do recommend that you install a fresh copy of W10 when the processor version changes.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mantisman13
Adept II

misterj, sure a fresh copy is always nice to get rid of any of the weird corruption that is windows systems always get pledged with an especially if you are making significant changes in the underling hardware.  However, it takes hundreds of to reinstall and configure everything I ask this system to handle. Hesse the redundancy for storage, replication and backup schemes. Once I commit to a system install, short of total disaster, I'm not going back through that for anther 10 years. I guess this is still my burn in period, but I was getting a big deep into it when I started having issues. Windows of course will automatically swap detect the hardware changes and re-apply the lisc for minor changes like a CPU swap, but it can cause issues. For example, I had to re activate once I returned my CPU as windows had migrated my un-activated to the lisc for my 3970x when I tested on the creator board. The CPU is believe is the primary system identifier for the lisc. Window will do this a few times, but just how many and what their algorithm is, they don't tell you. At some-point you might have end of trying to get their support to reset the activation for you. So just not going to run up the strikes without good cause. Also, all of the TR 39XXx version all use the same controller drivers, so no issues there, but ya, if I were trying to migrate a windows install to a new MoBo/CPU combo, the driver transplants can get very dicey but doable. I know we talk about reconnecting of the SATA drives for the AMD expert raid above. I've done more reading on that since then and found many others with issues when the drives become unavailable and will have to rebuild. I strongly believe I will have to maintain the exact same port connection per disk to avoid the raid from getting confused as to what physical disk is what.  For instance, I had a cable that was just a bit tight to the side panel and put stress on the connect to the disk. The drive went down. All I did was replace the cable, but since the raid already through the drive had died, when the drive came back up it was seen as a replacement and the whole 22T raid had to rebuild and took days. It's been a few AMD updates since then, but it's just not something I'm going to chance. So each drive will go to the exact same port and will have been in all array are normal state before I start the hardware swap. If it all goes well, I just need to start up, go into bios, configure the SATA and NME to use RAID and it all should hook up. If it doesn't I'm f'd.

0 Likes