Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

runforrest
Journeyman III

(Backdoor inside) AMD - Platform Security Processor

Hello, AMD company.

I have been using AMD products for many years, and always believed you. But the fact that I recently got to know is frankly impressed me. It turns out that you, as well as Intel, betrayed all your users. And there can be no more trust to you.

Now i want to ask you an official question.

I want to know how can i disable this backdoor, which is called AMD PSP (same as Intel MEI), which is a direct threat to my confidentiality?

And i want to see the list of processors & boards & chipsets & BIOS'es, which support/not support/"allow to disable" this ugly and malignant function !?

So what can you answer me ??

7 Replies

The best place to answer your question is from AMD Support directly from here: Online Service Request | AMD .

It is possible some User may know the answer though and reply.

From Wikipedia concern AMD  PSP:

According to GITHUB, you can disable AMD PSP via BIOS with the correct AGESA installed: Disable AMD PSP 

Basically you need to go to your Motherboard's Support site and see if they have the BIOS Update where you can "Enable/Disable" AMD PSP.

Thank u for answer. I'll will try this way (disable PSP in BIOS).

But... How can i be sure that this option will actually disable the all PSP functions, and that it is not a dummy ??

Is there any research from independent experts on this topic ?

Good question. I would open an Online AMD Service Request and asked them.

1 Year later and no reply... Pretty important question, don't you think?

0 Likes

With new information coming to light on the sheer dumbassery in intel and amd, I'm forced to go ARM.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly how I see it, with the Windows 11 requirements the open back door to our PC is cemented, pants down!

Quite frustrating, but since intel has already implemented such system a long time ago and furthermore modern software standards pushed by IT giants such as MS require modern hardware to support this, there's no way AMD avoid this, otherwise it would be a disadvantage and a company can not afford it.

Good thing is that it is still configurable - AMD was always fine in this regard, giving users a freedom as much as possible. Depending on the motherboard model, can enable/disable it via BIOS.
Also, there's a way to install Windows 11 on a device that doesn't have such a "security subsystem" at all, though i don't know how long will this take until MS patch/block it, it can be used so far.

___

By the way, most of the users don't even care what's going on there in their PC's, don't set up a firewall rules, don't even monitor a network activity, etc. MS already has implemented a lot of telemetry services, it already have been many years those back doors are opened. For most of the users it is not even problem those back doors now moved from software to hardware level. It's only few of us who prefer to control everything what happens in our PC's recognize this as a threat and a problem, because who knows what kind of persons potentially may get access through these backdoors - a legitimate personnel as a developers from the company, or some hackers and other criminals?

Anyway, i'll investigate it if an option that disables it via BIOS is not a dummy one.

___

Also, i'd add it's not only PC processors/chipsets that contain an independent subsystems able to work as a hardware backdoor. There's a lot of another devices that are already doing this within many years, such as routers that collect and send specific information to some remote servers. Furthermore, now, we are about to start "enjoy" a beginning of an IoT era, so there will be even harder and harder to hide from the "eyes" that are watching us from the devices of any kind, from the washing machines, refrigerators, kettles and microwave ovens, to of course such a sophisticated devices as PC's and phones.