Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

savvra
Journeyman III

B550 Lifespan/Support?

Hi,

I'm currently rocking an i5-8600k (6 cores, no hyperthreading) and am interested in switching my rig over to AMD. Strictly speaking, I don't *NEED* to join the red team - just find the increased performance too tantalising to pass up.

I've halfway decided to purchase a B550 motherboard paired with a Zen 3 CPU as soon as they're both available. My only concern is how long these boards will be supported.

I initially assumed that they would have a roadmap of 3 years the same way the initial wave of Ryzen compatible boards did, but a cursory Google search hasn't provided any proof of this. Given the current situation regarding B450 and Zen 3, I'm not exactly filled with confidence...

Can someone point me to some reliable information regarding the lifespan of these boards? Personally I'd much prefer to wait for a generation that offers a definitive upgrade path, especially considering that my ASUS Z370 not having one is the reason I haven't upgraded sooner.

0 Likes
1 Reply
qbtheslayer
Challenger

It will at the very least offer the same upgrade path as Intel is currently offering with 400 series of boards.  So unless you are willing to wait for the next crop of platforms from either team, I see no reason NOT to pick team Red. 

The ONLY reason to pick team Blue is if you are ONLY gaming.  For the slight 5-10% gaming advantage you will lose 25-35% compute performance on a head to head cost basis...  And to be honest, that 5-10% gaming advantage will never be noticed in real world implementation unless you are using a 2080 Ti and super low settings.

QB

0 Likes