cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ace971
Journeyman III

Audio stops working intermittently on 3400G

So I had that mini itx build with a Ryzen 2200G APU, all working fine.

I bought the 3400G , upgraded the BIOS of the mobo following the recommended versions etc till the last, swapped the chips, all grand but.... wait, now Chrome looses audio on Youtube, and I need to refresh so it sticks. Weird I thought, indeed.

After testing a few bench I decided to try playing, and fired Street Fighter V. To my surprise, no audio at all. Switching back to the desktop, I checked all volume sliders were indeed at the max, and nothing muted. All apparently good. Could hear Windows sounds. In game however, nothing. Ok.

Went ahead and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, same thing.

So I took things a step further, by reinstalling the whole OS. Didn't keep anything, brand new Win 10 1903 install.

Tried firing SFV, exact same thing....

My suspicions then were that maybe something was off with the motherboard. Since I had a more recent AM4 Mobo coupled to a 2700, with a B450 chipset, I decided that as painful as it was (very very tiny cases), I'd have no choice but to swap to see if indeed that was the problem.

After some time and pain reassembling all of it, I reinstalled Windows on top again downloaded Steam, SFV, and .... same issue!

Now here's the thing I noticed.

When I do start a video on youtube, or even randomly at certain occasions, the little volume icon at the bottom right in the notification area, would sort of disappear and reappear again, in a split second.

When starting Street Fighter V, same thing would constantly happen, before the game would switch to fullscreen.

I managed to have it (not all the time) with audio if I use windowed mode. However, when I was checking the device manager, I would see that the audio output (AMD hd whatever its name is) would sort of disappear and reappear right away.

To be honest it leaves me think now that the CPU is the culprit, but I'm still not understanding how comes that I can have audio on certain applications and not others, if that was indeed hardware related.

The 2 motherboards were:

Gigabyte AB350N gaming Wifi 

MSI B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC

Tried also 2 different set of Corsair Ram, XMP or JEDEC, tried to disable every possible audio device that would show up under the device manager, to no avail.

Apart from this, the APU doesn't have any overheating, nor has it been abused. I checked the pins and all seem ok.

I'm not really willing to return it since I'm living outside of the US, and use a postal box to be forwarded packages to where I live, and shipping that back means money and time I can't really deal with at the moment.

0 Likes
4 Replies
mcalin
Adept III

Sounds like a bad cable to me, replace HDMI/display port cable and let us know how you went.

Also, use motherboard chipset drivers from  Gigabyte, download, disconnect from internet so windows cant auto install drivers and install and restart.

sometimes you need the utility from your motherboard drivers page to make it work properly.

perform a clean uninstall if the option presents itself when installing chipset.

if that fails try only using AMD chipset drivers from  AMD Drivers 

0 Likes
ace971
Journeyman III

Hi, 

I have tried with many different cables, still the same.
Tried with 2 motherboards, one from MSI, the other from Gigabyte, still the exact same problem.
I also did install a brand new Windows 10.
I'm willing to collect whatever information can help you as at this stage the only common element between all of this is the processor.
I will also try it on another TV. The issue I see is that from the device manager, something disconnects then reconnects (the AMD audio) and in certain applications that prevents the audio from working at all.
On chrome, I have to refresh and the audio logs again.
Kind regards
0 Likes

Bumping up hoping that someone else has encountered this. Actually found a thread on the net with people having the same issue.

I narrowed down this to the following components: 

LG TVs

AMD APU 3400G

AMD GPU RX 5700

With another brand of TV, no issues. Only on my 2 LG TVs this happens.

If I swap the GPU for Nvidia, no issues either.

When I check the device manager for the audio controller, this one "flips" off and on, which is what I observe as well in the notification area of Windows. The audio then crashes or resumes but goes on and off, depending on the applications/games and their way to handle the audio I suppose.

I have installed all possible AMD drivers and still have no resolution in sight therefore will open a case with AMD support and report back here.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the exact same error in 2400G with LG C7 TV. Audio icon disappears for a split second, and no sound. Still looking for a fix.

Also, sometimes when going from a fullscreen game to Windows, the TV will fail to recognize any video input. No idea if this is related or not, but seems to act in the same manner.

0 Likes