cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rhsd
Adept II

Audio crackling and USB issues with PCIe Gen 4.0

Running an NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE in my GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra with PCIe gen 4.0, I get audio crackling from the integrated audio chipset and USB (mouse, webcam) glitches/stutters/resets. This happens under certain loads, especially when screen capturing from different applications like TechSmith Camtasia and Microsoft Teams. If I set the PCIe to gen 3.0 in the BIOS, everything seems fine (except my NVME can't run at full speed). I upgraded from an NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti FE (PCIe gen 3.0) to the RTX 3090 and the issues started. This might not be isolated to RTX 3000 series cards or Gigabyte motherboards, as some AMD GPU and other motherboard users have reported similar issues. The commonality seems to be AMD CPUs with peripherals running PCIe gen 4.0.

My system details:

• CPU/Motherboard: Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra v1.0 with F31e BIOS
  • RAM: 128 GB - G.Skill Trident Z Neo (4 x 32 GB) @ 3200 MHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE, Game Ready Driver 457.09, Windows HAGS enabled
  • Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k with latest firmware 2.4 (video 2.0.30, EEPROM 1.18)
  • Power Supply: Corsair HX1200i in multi-rail OCP

What I have tried so far:

• Tested front and back analog audio outputs.
  • Tested Bluetooth headset (no audio crackling)
  • Closed out of all game apps
  • Turned off Windows Game Mode
  • Verified power at Max Perf in Nvidia Control Panel -> Managed 3D Settings -> Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
  • Changed NVIDA PhysX to CPU, also PhysX to GPU.
  • Turned off Xbox Game Bar
  • Installed latest chipset drivers from Gigabyte website
  • Installed latest chipset drivers from AMD
  • Device Manager, View by Resources, removed no longer attached items (e.g., 20280 Ti)
  • Disabled hibernation / fast startup in Windows
  • Set Windows Power management to Ryzen High Performance
  • Disabled HPET in BIOS & Windows
  • Disabled Cool ‘N’ quiet in BIOS
  • Performed clean install of NVIDIA drivers, both via NVIDA and DDU
  • Changed RAM back to factory speed (no XMP)
  • Set PCIe to 3.0 (resolves issue, but limits NMVE performance)
  • Moved analog audio to LCD display audio output, getting audio from 3090 via Display Port (no audio crackling)
  • Moved mouse to USB 3.2 Gen port. This seemed to help.
  • Updated NVIDIA drivers to 457.30.
  • Moved Logitech webcam to USB 3.2 gen 2 port. Possibly fewer webcam glitches.
  • Set DRAM Voltage to Normal (from Auto)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

46 Replies
rainingtacco
Challenger

A high frequency EMI from PCIe somehow affect your audio, or this is some elaborate driver/bios bug. Either way there's no fix beside using pcie 3.0 or external DAC.  You might RMA your board if you want. 

It ends up that an increasing number of people are reporting this issue, across a variety of motherboards, with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. The only commonality so far is PCIe Gen 4.0, AMD CPU, and AMD chipset. My guess is there's some form of a voltage management issue with AGESA/BIOS.

That could also be a possibility. 

0 Likes
Novahawk
Adept I

You have literally the exact same issue as me. At first I thought it was my sound blaster since tons of people are complaining about the same on the sound blaster subreddit, but I dug further and it even happens with onboard sound! I don't have issues with USB devices when running on PCI-E 4, only sound issues, but my buddy has the sound issues AND USB issues on PCI-E 4.

We should be screaming about this, it's been going on for what looks to be the beginning, but just no one had PCI-E 4 GPUs to test it.

0 Likes

I tend to agree that this issue has been there for a long time. As I search older posts, I see similar symptoms being reported. Hopefully, it's an issue that a BIOS update or chipset driver update can resolve. One website had a post about it being a known issue and AMD will resolve in a future set of chipset drivers.

0 Likes

It REALLY feels like a voltage problem, but I'm not brave enough to up the voltage on the SoC... all I know is I try the DPC latency monitor and it says everything is 100% fine, all while I hear popping on my headphones.

I hope they can fix it soon, running PCI-E 3 is gonna hurt when nVidia IO comes out, because that'll likely hugely benefit from PCI-E 4 speed.

I've experimented with VDDG, SOC, and VDDP, but I have not found a combination that improves the situation.

Gigabyte released BIOS F31J for X570 Aorus, and it includes an update to AGESA. I am seeing improvement with this BIOS update (but not full issue resolution). If you're running a Gigabyte X570 Aorus, this is worth testing.

After a fair amount of research and testing, and recreating the issue consistently on two different systems, it pretty much comes down to an AMD PCIe Gen 4.0 implementation issue (which has been known for over a year). I'm hoping they can fix the issue with an AGESA update sometime soon, but I don't have high hopes, as this issue has been out there for so long.

I expect we'll see more people reporting this issue as they upgrade to PCIe Gen 4.0 GPUs.

0 Likes
holaf
Journeyman III

I updated my GPU to a 3080RTX yesterday on an Asus TUF gaming x570 and I have the issue...
Forced the PCIe to V3 and audio crackling is gone 💩

xesap58662
Adept II

Why are you running a zen 3 beta bios and complaining that it dosn't work properly?

Anyway the solution is to go watch builzoids videos on youtube you will find the answer there
hint: gigabyte usb

Run replendance latency mon to find bad drivers

0 Likes

This is apparently a very repeatable issue. Yet in this thread I don't see where anyone is reporting this to anyone who can do anything about it? This thread is other users helping users. 

Everyone with this problem should be reporting it to their, main board maker, gpu maker and AMD. 

Report the issue to AMD:

In Radeon Settings there is a Bug Report tool too you can submit the issue or

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

@pokester, I have open support tickets (over six weeks old now) with NVIDIA, Gigabyte, and AMD. Unfortunately, none of them have been able to offer any suggestions and all are at the stage of, "we have no updates or suggestions for you."

0 Likes

That is all you can do with them then. 

Often it is worthwhile with repeatable issues to message the tech sites with the details.

If they spotlight an issue, it often gets some traction in getting fixed. 

0 Likes

The latest rumor is that AGESA 1.1.9.0 may address the issue. Gigabyte is probably a few weeks away from having 1.1.9.0 packaged into the BIOS for my motherboard. I hope the rumor is true. :)

0 Likes

Me too as the audio issues have been going on since the RDNA release and WHEA issues since the microcode for Zen3 started being introduced late summer 2020. Not sure why AMD is dragging their heals getting issues fixed but will be glad when they finally do.

0 Likes

@xesap58662, you do not understand the issue, clearly. Bulidzoid was addressing the USB 2.0 issue, not the PCIe Gen 4.0 USB (all USB ports) issue. The issue occurs with non-beta BIOS versions, too, including F20, F30, and F31 (just released yesterday).

If you would like more context, read through these threads:

Stay away from Gigabyte (b550 / x570) motherboard if you use USB. : Amd (reddit.com)

PCIe Gen 4 causes USB problems on B550/X570 : Amd (reddit.com)

parasitex
Adept I

I had the same audio crackling issue on a Asus ROG Strix x570-E. Tested on both my internal soundcard and external USB with same crackling issue.

Was able to solve it by updating to latest BIOS version 3202 that has AGESA 1.1.9.0

0 Likes

Or maybe not.. still getting some audio crackling..

0 Likes

For my board (Gigabyte X570), the latest AGESA with BIOS F32a is still 1.1.0.0 D. It looks like 1.1.9.0 is going to be released (beta) soon and that 1.2.0.0 is having more issues with USB. So... I'm not holding my breath on AMD or Gigabyte fixing this anytime soon. I'm ready to switch back to Intel.

0 Likes

100% support on all of these statements. Experiencing wild issues with Gen 4.0 on the latest Gigabyte BIOS (both 32 and 33a). Something has to be done.

Unfortunately, AGESA 1.2.0.0 in F33a hasn't helped. AMD has continued to be silent on the issue. I have no updates from AMD on my three-month-old support ticket.

Since this has plagued Zen since x370 boards, maybe a class action law suit needs to be done for them to acknowledge and fix the issue. Who would be interested  

0 Likes

So after a week with no issues, it seems I've finally gotten rid of the audio crackling issues.

I'm not sure exactly what I did that fixed it as I did several things in a recent upgrade.

First I replaced my old PSU, which was aver old Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W 80+. To a Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ Gold.

Secondly I also mounted my GPU on a Vertical mount using a 20cm PCIe riser cable rated for 4.0 from Linkup.

Either both or one of the things I did seem to have fixed the issue. My best guess would be that switching out the PSU fixed it, as that would also explain why this issue isn't more wide spread. And why the motherboard manufacturers are unable to reproduce the problem.

0 Likes

Good to hear! Do you want to undo your changes one at a time and see where it breaks again, so we know for sure? 

I have tried four different power supplies over the past few months... no go.   I'll be putting in yet another one once Corsair can get me an HX1200i that doesn't have problems (lots of bad PSU's in that series). I have tried a Thermaltake, too.

The riser is pretty interesting. Have you confirmed the GPU is running in Gen 4.0 with GPU-Z (with the load test)? Is this the cable: Amazon: Linkup? Thanks!

0 Likes

Yep, it is indeed running 4.0 in GPU-Z. And it's the cables from Amazon. Note that Linkup is available in several different local Amazon sites around the world. I was lucky to find the ones I needed in stock at the local Swedish Amazon which saved me a bunch on shipping.

Unfortunately it's a pain in the ass to change parts atm because i'm running a custom water loop. And can't easily reach the upper CPU power ports with the radiator in the way. And can't move that without draining the system first.

And the same issue with GPU as one of the other upgrades I did was slapping on a giant water block on my 3080. And can't slot that back into the motherboards PCIe port as the hose isn't long enough.

One thing I was also considering as a possible fix to the crackling. Was ordering an adapter to allow me to hook my external USB soundcard to the internal motherboard USB ports which is still 2.0. As i figured they might be less prone to interference than the 3.X ports. But i never got around to testing that as my issues seem to be over.

0 Likes

0 Likes
thecoversduo
Journeyman III

I have the same problem and I already tried everything!
a few days ago I changed from a 1660ti to a 3070 and from there the problems with the audio began.

I have a focusrite 18i20 2nd generation with audio problems
try an alesis multimix interface and the same problem.
with integrated audio no problem
with a usb mxl microphone no problem

asrock x570 steel legend
ryzen 3900
64gb ram Xpg 3200 (4 x 16)
m2 hp ex900

This is a very big problem since I am dedicated to music production and I have not been able to work for days!

0 Likes

@thecoversduo, have you set your PCIe to Gen 3.0 for your X16 slot in the BIOS?

0 Likes

At the moment yes! the bad thing is that I lose the speed of my 2 M2 Mvme Drives! but the problem with the audio and other minor things was solved

0 Likes

@thecoversduo, can you set your X16 slot gen separately in your BIOS? I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus, and they added the ability to set the X16 slot independently from the rest of the PCIe gen, so I'm running the X16 slot at 3.0 and everything else (e.g., NVME) at 4.0. This has been a decent workaround, letting me get full NVME gen4 speed without USB issues (still with slight GPU performance penalty).

0 Likes

You shouldn't have to disable something that is advertised to work, to make something else work.

There needs to be a mass recall but with this issue going on since 2016/2017 and nobody has done anything they will just turn a blind eye.

Seeing if intel on PCIE 4 has the usb issue, if it doesn't will make the switch again and be the last time using AMD i switched originally from a 6700K. 

All these bios issues should of been ironed out well before the initial release essentially they released a "Beta" product.

0 Likes

@kryptk, I agree. I am also looking to see if Intel can deliver a competitive system with PCIe Gen 4.0 support (that is demonstrated to work well). Intel's latest announcement about leveraging TSMC is a good sign.

0 Likes

Thank you very much, it's true I just changed the x16 to gen3 but now something very curious happened, everything is working well with respect to the audio and general stability but the downloads are very slow.

The internet works very well, the pages load fast, in speed tests it marks the normal of my connection 60Mb/s but at the moment of downloading something it does not exceed 500kb of speed.

this has never happened to me, downloads are always around 6MB per second.

and now nothing solves it, I reinstalled windows again and it worked fine one day but again out of nowhere the downloads were limited

if I change the x16 to gen 4 the problem is not solved.

0 Likes

My first thought is that the PCIe setting is not related to download speeds.

Are you using Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet? Built into your motherboard, USB, add-in card, other?

0 Likes