Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Athlon II X2 235e upgrade.

I have an Emachines with an ECS MCP61PM-GM (rev 2.4) motherboard, with an Athlon II X2 235e dual core CPU, that i am trying to figure out what would i can upgrade it to. The specs im looking for are socket AM3, quad core if possible, dual core if not. My motherboard has a limit of 89 watts. I have been going through page after page of CPU specs, but most of it means nothing to me, and i dont want to buy a CPU and have it not work, so, since i cant speak with AMD directly, i figured i would ask here, and see what help i can get in solving this.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Athlon II X2 235e upgrade.

Hey biggman, i have an AMD Athlon X3 455 3.3Ghz, i believe that it is compatible with your motherboard socket AM3.

I have a gigabyte motherboard GA970A-D3 and 4GB RAM Kingston at 1600Mhz CL9. it runs great. I was surprised to run games like Alien: Isolation, Battlefield 3[on ultra graphics], Battlefield 4[on ultra graphics], Crysis 3[on very high graphics] without problems. Yes, they say that when it comes to 3D games, its all about the graphic card[i have a gtx660], but imagine that the cpu process+delivers all the data. So for a low end performance cpu like mine, i say i wasnt expecting it to perform like that.

This AMD Athlon II X3 455 has a 95W TDP, a little more than your motherboard spec, so taking in consideration that your motherboard company is ECS, i have doubts, i dont want to make mistakes.

If i were you, i would have buy myself new components and create a new system, low budget of course. if you are not gaming/3d rendering, you can choose an AMD APU.

Have a nice weekend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

You should be able to find all supported CPU's for the motherboard you listed in the following link. Just click on the "CPU" tab and you will be able to see all CPU's which can be used on this board.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=857&DetailName=Fe...

As mentioned by andrews9this board only supports AM2 or AM2+ based CPU's, so if you are looking for a AM3 or higher CPU you would need to upgrade your motherboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Hi there. It should be possible for you to use a 95W Athlon II X4 on that motherboard. Keep in mind your DDR2 memory might throw in a bit of a bottleneck, but upgrading your X2 to an X4 is a small step in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

The 2 problems i am finding is that the MB wont run a quad core (from what i have read on other sites, because my board has a revision of 2.4, there isnt much out there about it at all), and is limited to no more than 80 watts, but, i look on AMD's CPU list, and am beyond lost as to what will work, and what wont. If i narrow it down to just 80 watt AM3 CPU's, I get choices ranging from the Phenom X2 and Phenom X2 black, with model numbers ranging from the B53 and B55, to the 550, 560, 565, 570, 545, and so on, all with different frequencies, some higher, and some lower than what i have, which is 2700 MHZ, so, my next question is, how important is frequency, and, would going with say a 3000 versus a 3300 or 3500 be that much more beneficial, or would it be best to just go with the highest frequency available? Another issue i have seen is, some say they are a C2 revision, like mine is, and some say a C3 revision. How important is the revision number? All i am trying to do, since i know my CPU is on its way out, due to running hot at times, and from what i have seen on CPUID as to temps and such, since i am not always vigilant about keeping the heat sink clean, and it has been 5 years since i first got this computer, and it gets used quite a bit, but, since everything else is fine in my computer, i would like to replace it with something that will work at least a bit better than the original. As for a new MB, i would like to, but don't have the budget to replace the MB, CPU, RAM, as well as a new copy of windows 7, which i would prefer to stick with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

That board isn't the one i have. The one i have has 4 RAM slots, and is set up for the AM3 CPU, not the AM2 CPU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

I understand that you didnt ask for new system; You asked for a new cpu upgrade, but you will be in disadvantage because of your mboard. So if i were you i would buy this:

AMD Vision A6-6400K 3.9GH = $ 60

MSI FM2-A55M-P33 = $ 55

4GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz = ~ $ 50

The rest [chasis,psu,monitor] you can manage after, not so hard.

What do you think ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Actually, with massive house repairs, as well as severe repairs to 3 different vehicles, even coming up with $50 for a new CPU on amazon is a bit of a stretch right now. That is what the price is on the AMD Phenom II X2 i am leaning towards is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

You know better what your priorities are. Good luck in finding your "new" cpu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

That didn't answer any of my questions, and wasn't exactly helpful.

0 Kudos