cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Athlon 64 x2 250 - How much RAM does this CPU support?

hello everybody,

i know we are in 2017 now, but i need to upgrade the RAM of a system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 250 'Regor'.

If i were to decide anything, i would definitely not invest in this system. But to make a long story short: i need to know how much RAM this CPU can handle. I tried google and some of sites that offer spec sheets, couldn't find anything about possible RAM-sizes yet.

Can you help me? I'd be very happy, as this is a great chance to at least temporarily calm down my mom.

Very much looking forward to your advice, thank you in advance!

tiredgrumpyhelper

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Athlon 64 x2 250 - How much RAM does this CPU support?

The amount of RAM a system can use is dependent on the motherboard.  You will need to check the specs/compatibility on your motherboards manufacturers website for the amount and speed of RAM that the motherboard can use.

Adept III
Adept III

Just off the top of my head, it would handle 8 GB per slot, so 32 GB if mainboard has 4 slots.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Any ideas if an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ can support 16gb of RAM?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

@RL10,

Depends on the Manufacturer of the motherboard that you will be using. Seems like most supports up 8 GB of RAM but did see one Gigabyte Motherboard that does support 16GB of RAM. Their may be more I just didn't look through all of the compatible Motherboards. You can do that yourself from this link: https://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/AMD/Athlon_64_X2/Athlon_64_X2_Dual_Core_4000+/120/Compatible_Motherboar...

Screenshot 2021-01-08 091452.png

0 Kudos