cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

DelTacoBoi
Adept II

ASUS Dark Hero x570/Ryzen 5900x nightmare so far.

Since upgrading to the Asus Dark Hero x570 and Ryzen 5900x I have had nothing but issues and the computer is pretty much unusable from temp issues to USB disconnection issues.

Initially I have having an issue where the CPU temps where unreasonably high. Idle was 60c from cold boot, then when I open a game say Cold War it would instantly shoot up to about 78c then after one 10 min game I'm 80-85c. And before you say "oh that's normal Ryzen runs hot" no it should not be to this degree right off the bat. And YES my AIO mount is fine/tested and re applied proper NON stock Thermal Paste.

I realized that the v core was always a constant 1.45v. After researching I found some PBO/Curve Optimizer settings that fixed the issue. PBO enabled> advanced> PBO limits Disabled> All Core> -30 offset. Boom issue fixed everything great. 40c idle, 67c after hours of gaming, 4.4ghz all core stable.

THEN, I Updated to a STABLE new bios for the board and all the issues came back. Tried reverting the settings that I had, Tried putting everything stock, tried disabling DOCP, Tried turning off any PBO of any sort, then finally reinstalled Windows.. nothing worked. V core and cores fluctuating and going nuts, temps shoot up, etc.

Reached out to ASUS support who said they think "The sensors on the board went out" and they wanted me to send my brand new board in for repair... No way.

Beyond frustrated I re-purchased, BRAND new, EVERY component in this machine, rebuild the machine with brand new versions of the SAME components, except the GPU because I had no issue with that. Reinstalled windows on NEW drives, and now the board has not only the SAME issue with the Temps, but a new even worse issue where the USB devices keep disconnecting for 4-5 seconds every 5 min or so making it unusable! Also in iCUE the Commander Pro fan hub, keyboard, mouse, AIO, RAM, lighting strips are all detected but the lighting node core which controls the RGHB for the fans is NOT detected.

Its plugged into known good USB and SATA power, nothing.

At this point I'm pulling my hair out and am ready to just go back to intel because I'm at a loss.

Lian Li 0-11 Dynamic
Ryzen 5900x
Asus Dark Hero x570
Asus Strix RTX 3080
Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz (4x8)
Corsair h150i elite capellix triple fan
Corsair RMx1000 PSU

0 Likes
1 Solution

My bad I did not mean you, I was told this by Corsair support in their forums.  I did purchase this NZXT hub and it worked.  Thank you for your reply!

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Gwillakers
Challenger

Hey,  I know you don't want to hear this but AMD is comfortable letting this run @90C.

After sky high temps, I disabled Core Performance boost, as well as PBO.  This brought my temps down to the 60's but it also cut my performance 15%.

It was obvious to me that this processor was managing Frequencies, Hyperthreading, core dispatch and even voltage to keep its temp at what AMD thought was ok (90C).  If I ran 2 threads of Prime95 without a fan on my Heatsink, or 32 threads of Prime 95, the Temp remained constant.

Then I had a mental break through.   Enough with all this fiddling.  I will enable Core Performance boost, and set PBO to Advanced. Set PBO Limits to Manual. Set Thermal Throttle Limit to Manual.  Then set Thermal throttle Limit to 77.   I also set PPT down to 120 instead of 140W (I just feel a bit safer).   Left TDC and EDC alone.

I can now run Prime95 (32 threads) all day, all night.  Temp never goes beyond what I set in the Throttle Limit.  And with very little drop in performance.  Maybe 1%.

Try it.   This chip is made to adjust parameters a thousand times a second.   So fast the monitoring software can not even report them all to you.

Good Luck

0 Likes

First off I want to thank you for your reply.  I will try this and see what happens.  With all of that being said that may remedy my temp issue, but are you aware or have you experienced this issue with the USB devices constantly crashing and restarting?  

0 Likes

Which Bios are you running? and which chipset drivers? as for the USB devices, are you using only the 1 USB 2.0  header or both? Because I stopped using the (USB_E56)port, and as I have more than 1 USB 2.0 header needed, I just used the new NZXT internal hub to get rid of the disconnects.

As for temps, I run the 5800X with the h150i and temps have been no issues so far. The only settings I've set so far is D.O.C.P memory timings. otherwise all settings default.

0 Likes

I connected the commander pro to one of the USB 2.0 on the mobo , from there the lighting node core is connected to the commander pro. And that lighting node core does not even appear on icue.  Its my keyboard and mouse which are plugged into the back of the mobo which keep disconnecting.

0 Likes

actually ryzen 5000 is build to push futher to boost max and limit by temp 90'C .. if enable pbo just ignore the temp....you are using aio it will be fine....... if really want cooler temp just tweak the ppt edc and tdc ...the more cooler can maintain the more ryzen will push the core and voltage to boost it......... example (air cooler boost 4.4ghz)and  (aio boost 4.55ghz) with same 90'C

else set manual speed and vcore to maintain the voltage own

curve setting should be test with corecycler and not just set all negative -30 cause some core will fail and end up with whea error while gaming.......

about usb 2.0 dc ... it is fixed in 1.2.0.3c bios ..........temp fix is use other usb slot .... usb 3 slot maybe...

you are using asus mobo.. you should get the beta bios for 1.2.0.3c from asus

0 Likes

So are you saying this NZXT hub not only has both commander pro and lighting node core appear in iCue, but also your keyboard and mouse plugged into the back of your computer also do not disconnect anymore? 

0 Likes

I use THIS one here internally and only plug it in the rearward port USB1213.then I played around with things plugged into the rear USB GEN 2 ports(red), and so far no disconnects in 2 weeks.

For more rear USB ports I picked up this and plugged it also into the USB Gen 2 port(red).

This is just what's worked for me on the Dark Hero.

Oh Running bios 3601 and this chipset HERE  

Revision Number

Hope some of this helps.
0 Likes

For your USB connection issues:  (Long shot here)

Go into Device Manager, and select the Keyboard  ==>  Expand Keyboards ==> Select your Keyboard ==> Right click and select properties.  Click the Power Management tab  ==>  If the "Let my Computer Power off this device"  is checked then uncheck it.

Do the same inquiry with your Mouse device.

======================

If that stuff did not work,  or wasn't applicable

Then consider your two devices.

Are either or both one of those high speed "Gamer Keyboards" or "Gamer Mice"

Or on the other hand are those devices on the ancient side where you are running a USB 1 Mouse in a USB 3.2 port?

If they are fancy Gamer style devices, check to see if there are "switches" on the device.

For instance,   I have a keyboard that can be polled 1000/sec,  500/sec,  250/sec, 125/sec.  It also has a switch to go into BIOS.

These settings are for gamers to reduce the lag, if the computer polls the device often.

Your BIOS has a section for USB.   This probably gives you the option to operate USB devices in Legacy mode.

You can experiment with that.  However with an issue, I would lean more towards Legacy mode

Good Luck

0 Likes

Essentially what I am being told is that the USB ports x570 boards "do not generate enough power" to power all the USB devices?  Which seems a little odd to me?  So I was directed to purchase an "NZXT Internal USB hub" which is supposed to solve these issues?  I guess we will see. 

0 Likes

Who says they don't supply enough power?

what I said was ,If you need more than 1 internal USB header. The manual says there are 2,USB1213 and USB_E56.Upon some research I did, I found a report of the USB_56 port causing some issues, So ,Needing more than 1 Internal port, I am Using the NZXT hub and that has helped with the USB disconnect issues.

0 Likes

My bad I did not mean you, I was told this by Corsair support in their forums.  I did purchase this NZXT hub and it worked.  Thank you for your reply!

No worries,glad all is good.

0 Likes

So is the outcome of this thread that the USB_56 internal header is flaky and so the OP has worked around the problem with a 3rd party usb hub?  While that may be a pragmatic solution it doesn’t actually explain whats up with port.

i.e.: whats the root cause?

Is this a firmware/microcode issue on the board?  CPU?  A hardware fault? Power issue?  Will it lead to other issues?  To my way of thinking, the board comes with the port as a feature and if it doesn’t work then something somewhere is faulty and we don’t know what other issues may be lurking.

The OP also complained of high CPU temps, originally, and also implemented a work around for that.

I just feel this hasn’t been solved and shouldn’t be marked as such.

0 Likes

There has been an issue with the USB disconnects for awhile with X570,It has been fixed with an AGESA update.The issue I see with the"USB_56 internal header" Is it is a dual purpose connection as I found in my research"

Based on this, the USB_E56 port is somewhat proprietary in that it uses ROG_EXT and may be missing some data pins, meaning that it may not work for everything.

The other one is regular USB and should work perfectly fine."

That's why the NZXT hub works when you need more than 1 header.

However If you think that a custom built PC will run perfect without some tweaking, that wrong(most times anyways)

.There is just to many variations of components for them to work together that way. But that is half the fun of building.

0 Likes

Thats a different board, but I see the point and it probably applies to this board as well.

Thanks for the link, its interesting info and means theres no issue with the internal header as it is designed for a special application.

The USB issue was fixed using the NZXT hub.  How or why is unknown to me but the issue was indeed solved.  As for the high temps, this is due to v core always feeding 1.45 volts to the CPU.  This can be remedied by tweaking bios settings i.e. PBO, Curve Optimizer, etc.  Meaning everyone will have a different experience.  With that being said if anyone has advice on that specific topic it will be very much welcomed.  Thanks to everyone who continues to provide advice and feedback through this thread.  We only better our experience with the help of others!

I have the same setup as you. ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and AMG 5900X. Upon booting, the system runs fine. I can browse and open task manager etc. I can also run games like COD Warzone and Diablo III no problem. My problem is when I exit the software for the games, the system starts crashing from the window functions (X to exit), start menu, and finally the mouse. Did you have this problem?

I'm running BIOS 3601 and I have DOCP enabled for the memory (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory).

Did you have this problem?  Are you in California BTW? (I'm also a Del Taco fan here in Socal)

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
AMD 5900X
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING Video Card
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
0 Likes

How are you doing that?  The issue I have is that the temps hike almost right away when I open Cold War like 75c off the jump.  65c at idle.  

I have got it down a bit after messing with PBO and Curve Optimizer but its higher than I would like.  I do not have the issue when software crashing when I exit a program.

Try making sure that your DOCP is tweaked and optimized that helped me.  

I used to live in so cal but now I am in PHX. Still reppin Del, scorcho boys!!!!

0 Likes

I have not yet changed settings with the curve optimizer.
My DCOP is set to run at the memory spec at DDR4-3600.

Hell ya Del Scorcho is the best!

AMD 5900X
0 Likes

Gvon,

Your problem is indicative of a system starved for power.

You bring up windows, you idle for a while all is well.

You run a game, and the system (memory sticks, chipset, processor) all heat up.

You exit the game, and there is no longer a load on the system.  The CPU responds by lowering the multiplier, and voltage.

However the voltage which was good when the system was cool, is Not sufficient when the chips are hot.

It takes more power to push through hot metal.

You need  to set Vcore to Normal, and then supply the slightest positive differential.

You might also need to do this for VSoc.

good luck

0 Likes

@Gwillakers wrote:

You need  to set Vcore to Normal, and then supply the slightest positive differential.

You might also need to do this for VSoc.

Thanks. Your explanation does make sense and could be the case. I haven't dabbled with voltage settings yet. When you say "supply the slightest differential" do you mean increase my 0.1V at a time until the problem goes away?

Also why wouldn't Vcore be set at Normal be default? I'm not at my desktop now so I can't view the settings at the moment.

AMD 5900X
0 Likes

@Gwillakers 

I submitted a Dxdiag report to AMD support and their response was this:

"I have review Dxdiag report, and I see that you're using Nvidia graphic card, and from your problem statement, I suspect that issue might be related to graphic card, and I suggest you once perform the clean installation of the graphic card driver from the graphic card manufacture and check the outcome."

What do you think? I have been using Nvidia's GeForce Experience to keep my drivers updated to the latest.

AMD 5900X
0 Likes

I personally think that is BS. But I guess its worth a shot. Just use DDU and then reinstall driver with clean install and see what happens?

0 Likes

So check this out! I updated my ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero BIOS from version 3601 to 3801 and my system is running great. No more freezing after exiting games. I should also note that at the same time, GeForce Experience automatically updated the dispay driver. So at this point I don't know which one was the solution. I did notice though that my CPU temp (displayed on my NZXT Z73 cooler block) is holding steady at 36C during idle and goes up to 40C when playing COD Warzone (again note that this could be reporting a specific core and not the highest temp).

So I hope this is the end of my PC trouble. Good luck with yours.

AMD 5900X

I did this, idle temps are lower, and in game temps don’t exceed 77c, all cores aren’t extremely stable but in pushing 4.5hgz pretty consistently according to hardware info.  This helped a lot man thanks. I guess my next concern is that the coolant temp on my aio is around 41c after a 10 min game so I’m concerned that it’s not actually cooling the chip well but we will see.

Now I just have to get this USB issue under control and we are good. 

0 Likes
Zapionics
Adept I

Could be the board.  I'm also wondering about the PSU, I assume its new.  Sometimes they can have a fault.  Recheck the power connectors for correct, firm fitting, no bent/loose pins in connectors. If you have a spare (from,say, your old build) see if the same issues recur with it.

Also check with Corsair if theres a "reset" procedure for your PS.

0 Likes
SpoytoR
Journeyman III

Hi all, I've upgraded from 3700x to 5900x a month and a half ago, Crosshair Dark Hero motherboard, ran well at the beginning, a freeze or restart after a few days, then some more, though its from the AMD Adrenalin software, went for holidays, came back after 1 week.

My system either freezes with sound in the background and have to restart/shutdown, with adrenalin software installed or it restarts without.

Checked all components with others, the CPU runs well on a asrock x570, and the motherboard runs well with other two cpus i've tested 3000 series. 

Full diagnostics and swaps hardware as I work in a computer store, software side i've done everything I can think of, for some reason i have these issues with this cpu and this motherboard. 

Also tried all the suggestions above. 

Any other ideas?

RMA is pointless with them working properly with other setups

0 Likes

System can run from 10 min to 4 hours, freeze/restart is random, idle, browsing, gaming or anything else. 

Is just completely random

0 Likes