cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

henway
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Are there any faster CPU's that I could use to replace my 2.8 GHz Sempron 145? Thanks in advance

Jump to solution

Are there any  faster CPU's that I could use to replace my 2.8 GHz Sempron 145?  Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwd4ever
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Are there any faster CPU's that I could use to replace my 2.8 GHz Sempron 145? Thanks in advance

Jump to solution

Since it is an AM3, potentially you can upgrade to Phenom II. However, you will have to check your mainboard's support list.

Firstly, that was a low power CPU, and the board might not be able to feed enough amps to a fast X6 CPU. Second, the BIOS might not recognise the later CPUs of that family.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwd4ever
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Are there any faster CPU's that I could use to replace my 2.8 GHz Sempron 145? Thanks in advance

Jump to solution

Since it is an AM3, potentially you can upgrade to Phenom II. However, you will have to check your mainboard's support list.

Firstly, that was a low power CPU, and the board might not be able to feed enough amps to a fast X6 CPU. Second, the BIOS might not recognise the later CPUs of that family.

View solution in original post

henway
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you ever so much for the rapid response! Can the motherboard handle a quad core Athlon power wise; I ordered two cpu's  (long story, but for $25 what the heck) an Athlon ll 2.6 GHz quad core and a 3.2 GHz dual core (I think I have that correct)  Thoughts?  I downloaded some freeware that monitors the system temps. Also, should I get a better CPU cooling heat sink?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
henway
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi, I've picked up used .... an Athlon ll 2.6 GHz quad core and a 3.2 GHz

dual core (I think I have that correct) I downloaded some freeware that

monitors the system temps. I'm thinking that the dual core is likely the

best option due to the power usage. Would you happen to have any thoughts

on the matter? Also, should I get a better CPU cooling heat sink? (I've

also installed a Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive; will that help the power

issue?) Thanks again!

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

SSD use less power, but should upgrade your PSU to 80 PLUS gold to save on your power bill over time.

a bigger PSU can also afford the use of a more advanced video card

if you have the AMD OEM heatsink fan assembly, Arctic MX-4 is able to make that setup work well

0 Kudos