cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bradfromsigep
Journeyman III

Are Ryzen 3000 temps really being displayed properly in Windows?

So I just completed my latest build and my entire first day was basically spent troubleshooting temp issues with my Ryzen 3700x. Or so I thought. From the moment I loaded into Windows I noticed my CPU temps fluctuating rapidly at idle (or essentially idle, at most having Chrome with a few tabs open) anywhere from 60C to as high as 80C. I tried reapplying thermal paste and reseating my CPU cooler to no avail. After doing a bit of research, I pinpointed the main culprits as the precision boost overdrive setting in the BIOS and the Ryzen power plan in Windows. With PBO disabled and my power plan set to "power saving", my CPU now idles around 45C, with little fluctuation. Of course, when I change these settings it goes back to fluctuating massively at higher temperatures. However, what makes me suspicious is that there's no steady buildup. The second I change the power plan back to Ryzen, it's an instant 10-20C increase. I've also noticed that the temperature stays at a steady 45C after sitting in the BIOS for over 30 minutes. At this point I'm almost convinced that CPU temps aren't being displayed properly and it's actually cooler than is indicated. I've tested this with Ryzen Master, HWMonitor, and CPU-Z and they all show the same results. 45C idle and as soon as I change these settings, massive fluctuations. I'm not really sure how to proceed here. I'm concerned that using a power saving plan will affect my performance and that the temperatures aren't actually as bad as these programs are saying they are. Considering just going back to default settings and not worrying about temps. Thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Reply
waltc
Miniboss

You should be using the latest Ryzen Master program to monitor your temps.  Also, be aware that the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan puts minimum processor activity @99% and max processor activity @ 100%.  It's a good idea idea to open up the advanced settings for any power plan you use and scrutinize its settings.  Zen 2 does not operate like prior CPUs--it's much more advanced and does much by itself without user intervention being required.  PBO (different from normal boost) in my system is disabled by default and I have to wade through an AMD warning disclaimer before turning it own.  But understand that the CPU can run 24/7/365 @ 85C under load if it has to--because those conditions are what the architecture and the CPU itself are designed for.  But the system is flexible--you can change the behavior of the Ryzen Balanced Plan anytime you want--you should experiment with it through manipulation of the advanced settings of the power plan.  For instance, although I use balanced, the advanced settings I use are identical to high-performance, with the exception of the min/max CPU clock percentage--and I let the monitor lapse into standby after 10 minutes of no mouse activity.  

Run Ryzen Master and let it sit there for awhile in the initial "Home" position because you just want to look and see which of your cores/+ how many of them sleep regularly.  With my 3600X, I often see 5 out of 6 cores sleeping, dropping idle temps to the mid 30's.  All things considered, though, it's normal for your CPU to consume more power than mine, even under idle conditions. 

0 Likes