cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

anthonys
Adept I
Adept I

Are my chances of getting a defective chip (segfault bug) less if I buy the 1800x than if I buy a lower binned chip?

Jump to solution

I do run heavily threaded compilation workloads under Linux and want to avoid arguing about an RMA.

This problem along with the lack of a heatsink/cooler for the X versions has stopped me from buying a Ryzen 7.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are my chances of getting a defective chip (segfault bug) less if I buy the 1800x than if I buy a lower binned chip?

Jump to solution

Replacements.

Question was about buying in a shop. Chances you can buy post 1725 chip are approaching zero right now.

Only RMA for them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Are my chances of getting a defective chip (segfault bug) less if I buy the 1800x than if I buy a lower binned chip?

Jump to solution

The segfault problem was only for chips manufactured before week 25, which is late June, and all of those chips should be gone by now from all the major retailers.

0 Kudos
aes128
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I was going to buy a 1700 until I saw this 1-star review on Amazon: "The problem is the older parts are still in the pipeline. Amazon's stock as of late August was week 18, and my local big electronics store parts were fabricated week 15."

Jump to solution

I would not be so optimistic

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

It's not optimistic, it's the truth. AMD fixes Ryzen's Comple Error problem; offers replacements.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Replacements.

Question was about buying in a shop. Chances you can buy post 1725 chip are approaching zero right now.

Only RMA for them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bduncan
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I just got an 1800x with the segfault issue from mail order (big place) that got here end of November (week 19 chip) that has the segfault issue.  Not happy.

0 Kudos